Sign in to follow this  
560Dennis

What IH Sickle Bar Mower Mounts to Farmall C ,SC❓

What model IH sickle bar mower mounts to my Farmall C ? I would like to learn more about how they worked . Also what lengths were they 6 or 7 foot cut ?

Don’t remember the number but I had one. Bolts to the axle, raises with a rod that hooks to the hydro touch. Pitman type, mine was a 6 ft. Of course, you can put a balanced head mower on a SC with fast hitch, but I’m not sure if they were actually making the balanced head yet when the SC was new.

Uncle George had a '50 M he bought new. Mid mounted balenced head mower on it. I am not 100% sure when they got the stuff they added to the ol girl. I have to ask Uncle Eddie next time I see him. His wife and him are the last remaining in their generation. 

In my owners manual for my 27v it shows it can be hooked to a super c. 25v is the same. A cable runs from the mower and hooks to lift part of the touch controls

I think a mid ship mount mower would be easier for an old geeezer ️  like me to run . I have to loook back all  time with this hot set up. 

It taken me about 5 acres and I still have not got all the bugs out of it . I still can't get it to mow through the low spots. With out the safety release tripping , I think it's set light but ,I'm not sure. There use to be a strap on it so it would not release .i figure d I got about a 2 years and a lot of money I it better release if I turn it over to my son to use. 🚫🏃

I had to adjust teh slip overload clutch. The book say that it should not cut through 1 inch pine , don't 

i would the ideal time to mow is between 12:30 pm and 6 pm , but the humidity is so high here the weeds are tuff . 

Back the question I think the mid mower is the best set cause you can see the work better️I was hoping IH made it for the C's 

any pictures 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

11 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Don’t remember the number but I had one. Bolts to the axle, raises with a rod that hooks to the hydro touch. Pitman type, mine was a 6 ft. Of course, you can put a balanced head mower on a SC with fast hitch, but I’m not sure if they were actually making the balanced head yet when the SC was new.

How did you like it meaning , Was it a good mower? Or would reccommend it ?  Just some of my thought s about it  you can see what I'm running now. 

It came with the tractor. I went through it and then used it some to mow a little hay and trim. Mowed a 12 acre field with it a time or two. That’s a full day!

Now the bad:  The cutter bar didn’t pick up as high as a 3 point machine. It’s a pitman, and I really prefer a belt drive. It was a lot of weight on the back of the tractor, made the front light on hills. Hard to hook up. It mowed fine with sharp sickle and good guards, but the other things I’ve mentioned made it less than ideal. I sold it.

Honestly, I think I would much prefer the towed New Idea mower you have over the one I had. So, it still doesn’t mow good for you? Have you replaced the guards? That’s normally the first thing I do to one.  You have to have the right clearance between the knife and guard for any of them to mow.

I’m with ya on the mid-mount mower though. I would love to find one for my C, but haven’t found one yet.  It has pretty much retired from mowing duty for now!