Sign in to follow this  
doo_hicky

236 farmall 460 cracked block....

Doin a rebuild on our old 460 and we had several cracked liners and in the process of looking things over it almost appears the the first bore might have a crack in the block.  Is there something that I can do to "fix" this in the frame...new liners are already bought and here.  Since it is a dry liner design could I use a sleeve retaining compound to seal it?

Thank you

Mike

No sage wisdom?

we have installed sleeves in the cracked bore then bored that out to accept the standard sleeve.

Wide flange light press

Hmm the wide flange I had would almost drop in. So that would be no good. If your press in coat with locktite flange sealant and put'm in

• Like 1

Those had a real issue with sleeves being too small for the bores.

The sleeves and pistons would go up and down with the head off.

That left an air gap between the sleeve and block that is an insulator. That caused scored pistons and cracked sleeves.

IH changed their tune on these engines and came out with an oversize sleeve to prevent this. Those sleeves need to be pressed in to make sure the heat transfers from the sleeve to the block like it should. The sleeves are fragile and need the strength of the block to keep them from cracking. The sleeves are very easy to install and change but you will be doing it quite often without being properly pressed in to insure the heat transfers.

I assume IH done an upgrade to their manuals but I never seen it. I learned the hard way.

This company Los Angeles Sleeve has every sleeve for every engine.  I have used them in the past with excellent results on gas engine trucks.  Your motor will be better than new.

https://www.lasleeve.com/