SAM86

49' McCormick ODS6

I was told OS4 & 6’s are wider than the O4/6.  Is that true?  Brought this brochure online last month.

E8D2162E-AF1B-4CF7-9875-D83D6B1C4C2A.jpeg

8D2243B9-4A81-4014-8884-14E3D0CD1B55.jpeg

ABF5AA6E-8357-48E6-80E7-750CFCD7013D.jpeg

B5C9943F-39FB-44E9-A2D5-A707C79E8C37.jpeg

• Like 2

On 9/8/2018 at 8:05 AM, SAM86 said:

August this year we got word of a local farm auction with equipment we knew the history of sold previously from a firends farm auction. One piece was a WD6 that had been overhauled with a complete new top end and all headwork. 

We were able to buy it and it came with a new radiator to boot. I needed another radiator as I stole the one off the ODS6 for the OS6. 

Been doing the engine swap over the last month with help fom my brother. Had to replace the rear main seal due to badly warped retainers. Changed all fluids and filters.

Started it for the first time yesterday, rack was stuck closed in the pump and had a bad miss in one cylinder. with a little patients we freed up the rack and a balve adjustment cured the miss. To surprise this is probably the smoothest of the gas start diesels we have. 

Took it out for my maiden ride yesterday. Still lots of tinkering to do. Have to make the exhaust so I can put the hood on.

BA318D8A-F47F-4049-9877-93FBE6DA7296.jpeg

C496336A-429C-49E3-B639-D002D259CDAF.jpeg

58EE2987-E22C-4913-BF4F-EA5FE300A2E8.jpeg

676DC6FB-4674-4C19-8E5C-BEAFCFE6DB75.jpeg

I like the wall color paint ,the spray gun patterns 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redturbo said:

I was told OS4 & 6’s are wider than the O4/6.  Is that true?  Brought this brochure online last month.

E8D2162E-AF1B-4CF7-9875-D83D6B1C4C2A.jpeg

8D2243B9-4A81-4014-8884-14E3D0CD1B55.jpeg

ABF5AA6E-8357-48E6-80E7-750CFCD7013D.jpeg

B5C9943F-39FB-44E9-A2D5-A707C79E8C37.jpeg

Both O and OS models can be configured the same. No difference up front, on the O's, the rear hubs are inset for a narrower track and have to be this way for the rear enclosed fenders. OS models can run the hubs inset or outset, typically you see the latter for some additional stability. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SAM86 said:

We are right in the heart of apple country in Sodus, NY. There were alot of the orchard series tractors used in the area. Big farm across from my grandparents old farm had five ODS6 tractors opperating at the same time many years ago. This is one of them. I recall seeing quite a few listed in Michigan for sale and know of some people making multiple trips to MI picking them up. You should be able to find one close. The rest of it is all timing. To be honest the IH and Farmall group pages and Marketplace on Facebook have been one of the best resources lately. 

Ahh i see. Majority of them around here are either getting picked up for scrap, or being parted whole :(

What are some good FB groups to find these? Would love one. 

32 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

I like the wall color paint ,the spray gun patterns 

Yeah I didn't care about the drywall when I was painting, it has several damaged spots and has to come down anyway so I can insulate the walls. I just got the ceiling up, insulated and looking propper so now the "test spots" are starting to annoy me. Plus one of the overhead doors decided to commit suicide a week ir so ago so those are on the to-do list as well.

25A3EA25-CB4E-4DFA-95EB-80FF394CC2A5.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CubNamedOscar said:

Ahh i see. Majority of them around here are either getting picked up for scrap, or being parted whole :(

What are some good FB groups to find these? Would love one. 

Some are area dependent but to name a few....If you join one or two some recommendations start to show up for others. 

A3ACECA4-D6BF-4ADA-8D11-09161C4B8F2C.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SAM86 said:

Yeah I didn't care about the drywall when I was painting, it has several damaged spots and has to come down anyway so I can insulate the walls. I just got the ceiling up, insulated and looking propper so now the "test spots" are starting to annoy me. Plus one of the overhead doors decided to commit suicide a week ir so ago so those are on the to-do list as well.

25A3EA25-CB4E-4DFA-95EB-80FF394CC2A5.jpeg

Ods6 Nice projects ,glad you taken the time to save the os , do you have the fenders for the bigger tractor ods6?

any way good  for you 👍🏿

11 hours ago, SAM86 said:

Both O and OS models can be configured the same. No difference up front, on the O's, the rear hubs are inset for a narrower track and have to be this way for the rear enclosed fenders. OS models can run the hubs inset or outset, typically you see the latter for some additional stability. 

Was that the Only IH Orchard brochure on eBay I'd love to have that! 

11 hours ago, SAM86 said:

Some are area dependent but to name a few....If you join one or two some recommendations start to show up for others. 

A3ACECA4-D6BF-4ADA-8D11-09161C4B8F2C.png

I'm in the IH group, Just joined the IH-Wheatland and Standards as well as this one https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744741302453245/?hc_location=group

46 minutes ago, CubNamedOscar said:

this is the only other one I am aware of …...

ih orchard.jpg

15 hours ago, redturbo said:

I was told OS4 & 6’s are wider than the O4/6.  Is that true?  

Sam explained it well, I prefer the wheels set in on an OS the same as a O because the fenders /operators platform are narrower than a W so it looks odd with the extra space between the fenders and wheels

Just my preference

4 hours ago, CubNamedOscar said:

Wasn't from ebay,  girard auctions of South Dakota.

• Like 1

Is there any rhyme or reason to the solid front wheels to open spoked? 

17 minutes ago, redturbo said:

Is there any rhyme or reason to the solid front wheels to open spoked? 

Solid wheels came with the creeper low 1st gear. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, redturbo said:

Wasn't from ebay,  girard auctions of South Dakota.

Oh Okay. Would love to have one. I'll look online thanks 

Hello, I see you got the injectors out of the head.  I am working on a WD6 and one cylinder is in pretty rough shape.  I need a new liner for it because of rust so bad I cannot hone it out.  I also want to pull the injector to see if it is rusted, but it is in there pretty solid.  Can you share your technique?

I also see that you have new spark plug chamber valves, where did you get those, I as well would need to replace the one and the exhaust valve on the rusted cylinder,  Surprisingly the intake valve was pristine.

18 minutes ago, Clone said:

Hello, I see you got the injectors out of the head.  I am working on a WD6 and one cylinder is in pretty rough shape.  I need a new liner for it because of rust so bad I cannot hone it out.  I also want to pull the injector to see if it is rusted, but it is in there pretty solid.  Can you share your technique?

I also see that you have new spark plug chamber valves, where did you get those, I as well would need to replace the one and the exhaust valve on the rusted cylinder,  Surprisingly the intake valve was pristine.

I made a puller for the injectors out of some c-channel. Bolted the channel to the injector and had two jacking bolts that pushed on the head to pull the injector out.

All of the valves are available through various companies, the first on that comes to mind is Bates corp. Hold your breath and be ready for sticker shock. The shop that did all of my head work actually made me new staring valves cheaper than they could be bought.