Hello,

Recently purchased a 1949 TD9 i plan to go broke rebuilding with my boy. Tons of great information about the IH pumps on here.

I need to know if the injector pump upper cam shaft is in time with the lower governor shaft? I suspect it was. Rust was holding the governor when we started it up and drove it on the trailer, I didn't think to mark it when torching it apart on the press ;)

Thanks for any help, 

Scott

20180817_171227.jpg

Had to use the gas wrench to get the hub and gear off. I sure I'll end up getting a different pump some day, but i like the challange of trying to rebuild what i have. Bottom pic is how it sits now. Shaft welded and turned,  new bearings gaskets and seals in primary pump etc. 

20180825_152435.jpg

20180826_102807.jpg

20180825_110955.jpg

20180903_164256.jpg

Once I had the pump apart we soaked everything greasy in atf/acetone,  everything rusty went in evaporust. I thought it would be a good time to try my thermal spray up torch to build up the shaft, but a small spot flaked on me when i was bringing it back to size. I should have used the tig, but built it up with the wire feed instead. I welded it in thirds to keep it somewhat straight. Then put the parting tool in the lathe sideways to broach a keyway back in. The gear and hub recieved the same treatment, cleaned up the keyways with a file. Yes, that first cam journal is rough, but the lobe mics out same as the others. 

20180826_105641.jpg

20180830_183547.jpg

I know now that you should remove the little dogs from the governor before pressing it off the shaft... had to grind a v and tig it back together. (After i found all the pieces) I was wishing i had a smaller tig torch for detail work like this.

20180901_144029.jpg

20180901_144858.jpg

Faston4,

Great pictures! You got that new pump installed quick. Hope your having fun. Looks like you have very good skills in all areas: welding and refurb too!

Regards,

Chris

8 hours ago, sugarmaker said:

Faston4,

Great pictures! You got that new pump installed quick. Hope your having fun. Looks like you have very good skills in all areas: welding and refurb too!

Regards,

Chris

Thanks. Felt great to hear it running on deisel! Been 16+ years.

I decided to tear down the steering clutches now.  Uff da. I think I'll start a new thread since i could use some ideas.

Scott

Scott, If you are going to tackle the Steering Clutches, first get a mechanic with long skinny fingers and small hands (like ET). And get a big box of Bandaids. You will need them.

A dirty, nasty job, but doable. Make sure you have some lifting equipment as the pieces are heavy and clumsy to pull out and put back in. Jim.

2 hours ago, Faston4 said:

I decided to tear down the steering clutches now.  Uff da. I think I'll start a new thread since i could use some ideas.

Scott

all thoroughly covered here  do an outside search and follow back in

and others

http://www.bing.com/search?q=redpower td 9 steering clutch &qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=redpower td 9 steering clutch &sc=0-30&sk=&cvid=DB0DB9233336420CB114CCB14B102CAD

1 hour ago, crawlernut said:

Scott, If you are going to tackle the Steering Clutches, first get a mechanic with long skinny fingers and small hands (like ET). And get a big box of Bandaids. You will need them.

A dirty, nasty job, but doable. Make sure you have some lifting equipment as the pieces are heavy and clumsy to pull out and put back in. Jim.

Crawlernut, 

I had the boy helping me tear into it yesterday.  

His name is Earl Terrance...... LOL

4 minutes ago, mmi said:

Yes i think i have read all of your posts over the last couple weeks. Very good info, so much covered. Ill try not to ask the same old questions. I was just thinking of posting pictures of the entire project as we get it back into shape. 

On 9/11/2018 at 9:28 PM, Faston4 said:

Yes i think i have read all of your posts over the last couple weeks. Very good info, so much covered. Ill try not to ask the same old questions. I was just thinking of posting pictures of the entire project as we get it back into shape. 

it is not about questions  it is that it has been discussed many different ways and circumstances with many photos .  although a search is difficult  it is in many cases weeks faster than waiting for OP to see your request ,locate info and repost

there is centuries of information here but because of greed of the net (monetizing others "work" for your gain (googles failing model))  it is very difficult to find.     cost and copy right of coding so a RPMF search would actually work and not tell you to wait 35 sec for another useless malfunction  (not the fault of Bj or RPM)

• 6 months later...
5 hours ago, CL-Judge-TD9 said:

How did you search and find the MD injector pump?

Hello, in order to find the pump I called all of the yards i could think of, then i went on CL and called people that had a lot of Farmall equipment in thier ad, thats where i found the pump and head (cracked). Most of the guys had good suggestions and yards that'll i had never heard of.

Im elbow deep into the steering clutches and relining the brakes now, just waiting for spring.

Scott

CL-Judge,

I have several single plunger injection pumps off WD9 and TD9 tractors that I would be happy to part with.  I do not know their condition.  If you are interested PM me and we can work something out.

Gene

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:39 AM, mmi said:

it is not about questions  it is that it has been discussed many different ways and circumstances with many photos .  although a search is difficult  it is in many cases weeks faster than waiting for OP to see your request ,locate info and repost

there is centuries of information here but because of greed of the net (monetizing others "work" for your gain (googles failing model))  it is very difficult to find.     cost and copy right of coding so a RPMF search would actually work and not tell you to wait 35 sec for another useless malfunction  (not the fault of Bj or RPM)

I have been searching for days trying to find some way to remove the distribution pipes from the distribution block without having the specialized tool that nobody has.... it is a exercise in futility with this search function on RPMF but hey, I am thankful that the information is here somewhere... <grin>

8 hours ago, Faston4 said:

Hello, in order to find the pump I called all of the yards i could think of, then i went on CL and called people that had a lot of Farmall equipment in thier ad, thats where i found the pump and head (cracked). Most of the guys had good suggestions and yards that'll i had never heard of.

Im elbow deep into the steering clutches and relining the brakes now, just waiting for spring.

Scott

Scott, I imagine that the steering clutch will be the next item that I have to work on... I can only make right hand turns... Once I get the thing working on diesel, I can at least cut some roads that I need. I have 5 acres on the side of a hill, retired, limited income... so I have to be very frugal... the TD9 was given to me when a neighbor passed... it had been sitting for about 15 years. It has been fun overall but very frustrating as well... LOL

greed limits the way  base internet searchs work

start with some variants here and then follow MB posts

we would possibly need to pay $5 mo ea to make it work here as BJ would need more equip and helpers to do it right and keep in house

and there is no other upside for RPM to fund a limited group

none of the other sites can hold a candle to here but some do have greater /different traffic

https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/5094-injection-pump/

https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/17445-td-18-injector-pump-change-out-problems/

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS520US570&ei=LnCVXJT9HcLZ5gKgr6CoCA&q=mbcat+injection+pump+redpower+magazine&oq=mbcat+injection+pump+redpower+magazine&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i299l2.6716.12486..13759...0.0..0.295.2807.3j11j4......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i13i30j0i13i5i30j0i8i13i30j33i160.OIMGSnwh-48

Judge, I'm sure there is information about the tool you need somewhere here. Do you have the distributor style or inline like mine? I used google to search the redpower site, after a while it was pulling up posts from when MMI first joined. Very good stuff, days worth of reading.

The steering clutch was a bear, i tried breaking mine loose but had no luck. I could tell that the linkage wasnt working so i gave up trying. On the flip side, i was able to remove all the plates without damaging any by removing and soaking the whole assembly in a new plastic feed tub with 3 gallons of rust ease. I could remove a few plates every night with a couple wire hooks. I was relining the brakes when snow hit. Still have over a foot of snow here. 

Scott