John Brodylo

DT 436 inframe rebuild

Can some one tell me if it is possible to roll in the thrust bearings on a dt436 or if you need to pull the engine and remove the crank shaft . I can’t figure out how to get even the lower shell out. I have already rolled in new bearing on all the other mains. I tried a bit of gentle prying to see if there was enough end play to allow the shell to drop and there wasn’t.  There is approximately 5 to 10 thousands of movement but I probably need 50.

Thanks

Make sure you are rolling it away from the tang, there are tools available that insert into oil hole in crankshaft that "push" bearing insert out as the crank is turned. To take them out of the cap I have used a dead blow hammer or plastic handle of screwdriver or etc...

Yes but the rear main cap came down without the thrust bearing shell. It isn’t an issue with the tang and I made a tool to roll out the other upper main shells without a problem.  I just don’t have the clearance to get the lower shell off.  If I got it off then I could get the upper off

14 hours ago, John Brodylo said:

Yes but the rear main cap came down without the thrust bearing shell. It isn’t an issue with the tang and I made a tool to roll out the other upper main shells without a problem.  I just don’t have the clearance to get the lower shell off.  If I got it off then I could get the upper off

A very strong magnet may work or sometimes I use a rubber tipped  blow gun and force compressed air around the bearing halves works really well on stubborn bearings make sure the new one fits in place real snuggle also kinda surprises me the bearing would pop out out the cap that easily unless they were lose 

I think the rear main seal is preventing the thrust bearing shell from dropping. The shell is loose but the seal will not allow it to drop even with prying.  

On 9/3/2018 at 12:13 AM, John Brodylo said:

I think the rear main seal is preventing the thrust bearing shell from dropping. The shell is loose but the seal will not allow it to drop even with prying.  

the rear seal may have been replaced and set in to far 

It defiantly sounds like the rear seal wear sleeve was pushed in too far, when the seal is installed properly the bearing come right out with out any problems. I have run into this before and it is frustrating and sure ruins your flat rate time. Its time to split it and put in a new rear seal. What application is it in?

This is for a DT436 installed in an IH 1066 tractor.  Clearance on the thrust surface is within spec. and unfortunately don't have time to split the tractor.  There may be a little life on the crank bearing surface (hopefully) so I buttoned everything up.  Working on this outside with out heat and we just had our first light snow,  Hope to get it finished and started this weekend.