nomorejohndeere

nomore784

Found some pics in a file

sadly it's the only red tractor I've owned and the reason I would never own another

DSCF0110.JPG

DSCF0111.JPG

DSCF0109.JPG

Can you add to this please. What was wrong and why is there mo more 784?

Judging by the front grill and the 4wd, I wonder if you have an 844 S model.  Have experience with quite a few 84 series tractors over the years, and while they do have some weakness (brakes and sometimes shifting but did not have much problems) overall they are a pretty good tractor and have fond memories of running them.

Bought our 784 new in 85 around the time the case buyout.  Used the heck out of it with all the livestock until 5 years ago when we got out of the hog and cattle business.  It's on it's third clutch, had head rebuilt and injectors, pto clutch rebuilt, new radiator years ago.  Tach shows 4400 hrs which broke in 2001.  I'm sure it has 7000 plus hrs.  Still gets used.  Range Shift linkage hangs up once in a while but has been a great tractor with the 2250 loader on it.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:06 PM, lightninboy said:

There was something bad about it?

11 hours ago, RedPower5488 said:

Can you add to this please. What was wrong and why is there mo more 784?

I see he has the same type of post about a T340 in the construction forum. I guess he's quitin' the country and movin' on.

green in the oil did it in, something about brass around the injectors?

it had sticky transmission, they would bind up

brakes worked great as long as you pumped them up first, it's been awhile but something about a regenerating system?  I've lost track.

the worst turning radius of any tractor I've ever operated.  Reminds me of my Papa's 91 Ford extended cab 4x4.  Better hope you have some room.

I was told the grill makes it a European model, or at least out of US.  It could be a replacement by the previous owner.

I found it more complicated to work on than it needed to be, but it was my first cab tractor and that adds to all of them.  Friends had an 885? and had similar issues with it except the turning radius was as good as any.

It did drag a 13' straight deck brush hog anywhere you pointed it thou, until the green stuff invaded the oil

9 hours ago, IH884 said:

Judging by the front grill and the 4wd, I wonder if you have an 844 S model.  Have experience with quite a few 84 series tractors over the years, and while they do have some weakness (brakes and sometimes shifting but did not have much problems) overall they are a pretty good tractor and have fond memories of running them.

It certainly is no 844 S. The 844 was much heavier built. Looking on the rear axle it's a british built tractor. In our part of Europe nobody want to sell the british built tractors if you could sell a german built.

Looks like you bought a Canadian import tractor. Why bash a make based on 1 abused and poorly maintained tractor. I have a 784 that came off of a produce farm and it had migrant labors operating it. I've spent a little money on it and it's been a great and strong little tractor.

• Like 1

Looks like a UK import from the grill and cab. We didn't get that in Canada. 

23 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

I'm not bashing it, just answering the questions asked of me

Your first post said you'd never own another red tractor.  I believe he was referring to that statement.

green in the oil is 99% of the time poor owner maintence and use. will probably have issues with anything he owns. antifreeze was porbably original and injectors were probably never rebuilt or changed. hytran probably original. this can go on and on with anything he owns, is my opinion...……..

by "he" I'm assuming you are talking about Cook tractor where the engine came from?

or are you just "assuming"?

Just like anything else, how it was used and maintained makes all the difference.  There was a dairy farm in my area, ALL I'd, except for a nice 684 on their mixer.  It was their most used tractor, they loved.it!  Never had any experience with them myself.

84 Series are good tractors, I have two 684s and love 'em both.  They were all built in the UK, but most of the ones over here were built for the U.S. market and are somewhat different from the ones built for the European market.  That one is for the European market, you can tell by the position of the lights in the grille and also by the taillights.  Europe has stricter rules on the lighting, as tractors over there apparently spend more time on the highways than they do over here.  Never had a 4wd 84 series, but I would imagine the turning radius would be quite a bit larger on those.  The 2wd versions, at least in my experience, handle well and are agile in the field.

I use a 84 hydro its a great starting gutsy tractor rivels a 656 in power and alot easier to shift since its hydrostatic 

I’m really not sure why you would come on here with a topic like that. That tractor looks like it was rode hard and put away wet. Someone got some good service out of it at some point. If you don’t like them nobody’s asking you to buy one. 

• Like 1