D360 powered 886 vs 986 - pros and cons, parts availability on the D360.

Discbine duty, square baler with kicker and wagons.  Ocassional tillage with hay field refurb.

Overall impressions between the 886 and 986.

Thanks!

I'd sure go with the 986. I've had both of those. Day and nights difference in power like a H and a M. 886 was a complete dog compared to the stock 986 i had.

3 hours ago, IHRedDrive said:

We bought a Rops 986. Since then we added weights bale with it and pull tobacco wagons in the fall. If you get the shifters set up right, you won't go wrong, 436 engine is non turbo bullet proof. 

0807171701a.jpg

Can I drop my 986 off for that treatment?  :) Sure is a good looking tractor! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, IHRedDrive said:

Thanks We don't have modern tractors on the farm, can't justify it financially. Son and I do the old ones the way we want them done

Im up for adoption???? Sharp 986 the one neighbor bought one off are other neighbor about 25 years ago exact same set up had 800 hours on it when it changed hands dad wanted to buy it at the time no money in the 80s! I tried to buy it cause we farm the original owners land and i wanted one of his tractors but the current owner wants to much told me he was gonna get it running then i will see its worth that much! It now has about 2000 hours on it! Now its rotting away out side hasnt moved in 5 years! I been waiting to get the call he worked on it but havent yet! Thinking about stopping to see if hes money hungry make a nice winter project! 

Neighbor has an 886 (D360) been wearing a turbo for well over 25 years. They pulled a Hesston chopper with it for long time, how pull a NH 900 with 3 rows and a KP. Not very fast but you don't need fast if a lot is coming out the spout. Tractor is also used for general farm work to include feed mill manure spreader an etc. 

2 hours ago, Gleaner k2 said:

Im up for adoption???? Sharp 986 the one neighbor bought one off are other neighbor about 25 years ago exact same set up had 800 hours on it when it changed hands dad wanted to buy it at the time no money in the 80s! I tried to buy it cause we farm the original owners land and i wanted one of his tractors but the current owner wants to much told me he was gonna get it running then i will see its worth that much! It now has about 2000 hours on it! Now its rotting away out side hasnt moved in 5 years! I been waiting to get the call he worked on it but havent yet! Thinking about stopping to see if hes money hungry make a nice winter project! 

Ya ours had the roof metal rotted in the middle and of course the edges. Bunch of metal work.  Another thing was IH started using the plastic fuel tank with the 86 series. We had to replace it had a big crack in it. Guy in Indy had a NOS tank from a dealer sale. Lucky for us, can't get them from CIH anymore. Mike from Triple R got us dashboard pieces, exaust pipe and a bunch of other parts. Tractor has 4500 hours.

7 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

Neighbor has an 886 (D360) been wearing a turbo for well over 25 years. They pulled a Hesston chopper with it for long time, how pull a NH 900 with 3 rows and a KP. Not very fast but you don't need fast if a lot is coming out the spout. Tractor is also used for general farm work to include feed mill manure spreader an etc. 

My 886 also has a turbo, it will keep up with a stock 1086 most days.

20180618_191651.jpg

16 minutes ago, ih crazy said:

My 886 also has a turbo, it will keep up with a stock 1086 most days.

20180618_191651.jpg

My turbo'd 766 would pretty much keep up with Dad's stock 4440.

We plowed sod together one night.  I pulled a 5 - 16 Ford high clearance plow and Dad had a 6 - 16 IH 510 plow behind his 4440.  I lapped him every few rounds, so I figured we were doing roughly equal work.

2 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

My turbo'd 766 would pretty much keep up with Dad's stock 4440.

We plowed sod together one night.  I pulled a 5 - 16 Ford high clearance plow and Dad had a 6 - 16 IH 510 plow behind his 4440.  I lapped him every few rounds, so I figured we were doing roughly equal work.

Ya those 360 engines really have great power, especially with a turbo, they burn less fuel than a 986 with the 436 also.

I’ll go against the grain and say 360. I have a 986 and a 766 with d360. That 7 is a gutsy booger. The 986 does ok but after i jump out of my 1086 it’s a bit of a buzz kill. I think my 766 is way more fuel efficient. I feel my 766 turned up a bit will run right with 986. Just my .02

11 hours ago, ih crazy said:

Ya those 360 engines really have great power, especially with a turbo, they burn less fuel than a 986 with the 436 also.

Just slap a turbo on the 436 in a 986.

Does everybody that posts on here live east of the rockies?Lol.Back to Bill's original post,if your looking for a good haying tractor don't overlook the Whites.Looky what I bought today...picked it up cheap and runs great.Has 3432 on a working meter.Gonna fix it up and use it along side my IH's.I'm I banned from redpower now?

Paul

20180901_144816.jpg

• Haha 1

I don't think they will ban you on the forum but your forehead will get sore from banging it on the wall.Wait until your need some parts for it that have to come from the dealer and if you do all your own mechanic work your in for a treat.I run a shop in what was once a Oliver/White heavy area now the dealer is gone .I'd rather work on 5 red ones than one of those .Good luck , and as I always say there is no such thing as a bargain on a White or Oliver

1 hour ago, HTS1206 said:

I don't think they will ban you on the forum but your forehead will get sore from banging it on the wall.Wait until your need some parts for it that have to come from the dealer and if you do all your own mechanic work your in for a treat.I run a shop in what was once a Oliver/White heavy area now the dealer is gone .I'd rather work on 5 red ones than one of those .Good luck , and as I always say there is no such thing as a bargain on a White or Oliver

I'll agree with that.We used to have a number of Oliver /White Guys in the area. The local dealers went away and no anything you have to get from them you have to drive a ways to get it. Plus you will find dealing with AGCO will make dealing with Deere look like a walk in the park price wise. I'm working on a Oliver 1655 right now for a buddy and it's been a slow process. 

We had 2 neighbors that were White guys. One place they traded them off for Deeres and the other traded them off except for one on a pair of Magnums.

I think the IH' s are better tractors overall.This one has a 354 dot 4 perkins which is a pretty good engine.I have had good luck with perkins engines in the past.I'll agree IH' s are easy to work on and parts are plentiful but always wanted a later model White.I like the 6 speed trans and the over/under is pretty darn handy.This White is a 1982 model 2-88 about 90 hp also cab comfort and visibility is really good.I've owned several Ford's and Deeres as well.I think they all have their strong and weak points.I too am a mechanic by trade I farm on the side and I service and repair Hyster lift trucks to support my farming habit.

Paul