mikem

150 H.P. CASE 'Road Locomotive'

Here's an article from the Webster, SD, Reporter and Farmer, about the new "Case Road Locomotive", built by Kory Anderson. (and a couple of pics) ;)

http://www.reporterandfarmer.com/news.html

1324029861_IMG-Copy.thumb.jpg.7ce3d837f19296e76989a1a5a7e22f07.jpg309909064_IMG_0001-Copy.thumb.jpg.42225c62a6ef77ee480c6d3819289ca0.jpg

Should be quite a show!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

• Like 4

I recall there was a firebox or boiler or something left from an original. But this one is all new parts?

All new parts, lightninboy. The old boiler from Case's first 150 engine, #14,666 is a static display and will remain such forever. It is toast on the inside. The photo below is of the old and new boiler, some time back. OBG😉

150 hp Case 14,666 boiler, Kory & Kevin Anderson's new 150 boiler 2015 Andover.jpg

Wow.   What a talent to fab all of it and run besides!    Did they just go off of pictures for parts??

They bought a copy of the original blueprints from JI Case. Kory Anderson owns a large foundry and a huge factory shop, where they build farm equipment. OBG😉

I am as much impressed by the use of hot riveting in the construction of the new machine, as much as the machine itself.

I would have guessed that hot riveting had become pretty much a lost art.

Very cool and only about 3 1/2 hours from me!

Rick

I had heard he was going to build it!  Talk about a production to get to a show though!

It took 10 years to build and cost him 1 million dollars.  

Very interesting!!!!!  But sad that it's never gonna leave SD.  

Chris

45 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

I had heard he was going to build it!  Talk about a production to get to a show though!

They just put it on a lowboy. Looked big but cozy up there.  I wonder what it weighs.  Didn't look too bad to haul.  

Chris 

2 hours ago, farmallman77 said:

They just put it on a lowboy. Looked big but cozy up there.  I wonder what it weighs.  Didn't look too bad to haul.  

Chris 

34 tons.

Mike

Well I bit the bullet, just reserved a room for the night of the 7th! Anyone else going?

Rick

3 hours ago, farmallman77 said:

Chris 

less if the boiler is emptied first. 😁

3 hours ago, mikem said:

34 tons.

Mike

Nice!!!! Big ole girl

Chris

Wonder what it would cost to build a 2nd now that all the patterns and leg work are done......and did they make any spare parts for this one?

Just thinking out loud so to speak. 

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Wonder what it would cost to build a 2nd now that all the patterns and leg work are done......and did they make any spare parts for this one?

Just thinking out loud so to speak. 

There is talk of 1/2, or 3/4 scale replicas being built. Full size is just too much grief to move.

From the picture, it appears to be 12 or 13 feet tall, sitting on the ground. Put it on a trailer and it would have to be pushing 16 feet tall.

I think 'legal' height is 13 1/2 feet most places.

He is taking it to Rollag Minnesota for their show, Labor day of 2019.

At our Chapter 21 summer meeting, he said he was thinking about displaying it at RPRU 2020 in Huron, SD. (would be just display, RPRU National committee has a STRICT rule against steam)

Mike

After Kory Anderson got it backed onto the lowboy under steam, to move from their facility to the show grounds. It weighs 28 tons dry and 34 tons wet (with coal). They'll have the extension rims on it at the show, I understand. A once in a lifetime event! 

633658876_KoryAndersonwiththe150hpCasebackedontothelowboy.thumb.jpg.5f81b243f7afb70f507ceef48e8e7614.jpg

There haven't been any of these for 100+ years. According to my copy of the original engine build lists from JI Case, there were only four of them actually built as traction or road locomotives. Materials (babbitt bearings, cast iron gearing, etc.) available from 1904 through 1906, when they were originally built, caused them to be a failure for Case. More boilers were built for factories and mills. Case already had their new 32, or later 110 hp, Case out and it was a home run hit. So the 150 was abandoned.

I can't wait to see this new girl September 7th! OBG😉

1 hour ago, Old Binder Guy said:

After Kory Anderson got it backed onto the lowboy under steam, to move from their facility to the show grounds. It weighs 28 tons dry and 34 tons wet (with coal). They'll have the extension rims on it at the show, I understand. A once in a lifetime event! 

633658876_KoryAndersonwiththe150hpCasebackedontothelowboy.thumb.jpg.5f81b243f7afb70f507ceef48e8e7614.jpg

There haven't been any of these for 100+ years. According to my copy of the original engine build lists from JI Case, there were only four of them actually built as traction or road locomotives. Materials (babbitt bearings, cast iron gearing, etc.) available from 1904 through 1906, when they were originally built, caused them to be a failure for Case. More boilers were built for factories and mills. Case already had their new 32, or later 110 hp, Case out and it was a home run hit. So the 150 was abandoned.

I can't wait to see this new girl September 7th! OBG😉

OBG, yea, I'm not big into steam but I'm going to see this one! I will get there some time in the evening of the 7th and have to leave some time in the afternoon of the 8th.

Rick

• Like 1

I was on a USN boiler powered steam ship in the 70's ,  4 boilers basically fired from av gas turbine fuel and 2 main steam turbine  engines at around 80,000 HP each.  The ship was operated at 1200 PSI and 900+ degrees F:

Amazing resemblance between the old ag boiler and the 1960's high pressure systems.  Damn hard to keep the boiler tubes intact at our temperatures and pressures and horse power potential.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oleman said:

I was on a USN boiler powered steam ship in the 70's ,  4 boilers basically fired from av gas turbine fuel and 2 main steam turbine  engines at around 80,000 HP each.  The ship was operated at 1200 PSI and 900+ degrees F:

Amazing resemblance between the old ag boiler and the 1960's high pressure systems.  Damn hard to keep the boiler tubes intact at our temperatures and pressures and horse power potential.

I've heard lots of stories about those steam powered ships. My father in law retried from the Navy in 72 after serving 22 years as a boiler tech.

Rick

• Like 1

Bump to the top.  Look like this happened last weekend.  Any videos or pictures?  I found one video on Youtube of this monster plowing.  It doesn't look like they had near enough plow bottoms to make it really work even with what looked like about 16 bottoms, maybe 20.  Hard to tell in the video.

Any other impressions?  Seems like a MASSIVE undertaking for a show piece, but it is also really cool.