Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

andym

D239 vs DT239 Difference adding turbo.

Hello, I have been trying to do some research on engine differences on the D239 vs DT239 4cylinder diesels. But have not found 100% answers. I have a case/Ih 685 with the d239 non turbo. I am strongly thinking about putting a turbo on to help clean up the smoke/alittle more power when lugging down.  I was wonder if the regular d239 have piston coolers/oil squirters. Some of the major stuff a turbo engine needs. I would not be trying to get crazy power. I would like for it to lug a little better like my dads JD2555 with 3.9 turbo. I understand apples to oranges but same displacement.  Thank you for the replies and opinions in advance.      

Andym

I can't tell you about the piston cooling nozzles on a DT 239.    I have pulled against the D239's that have been Turbocharged and they have been fueled up and have been a very strong puller.    You'll be very satisfied if you put a turbo on yours.

GT&T 

Several industrial applications used turbos, the turbo engine had bigger dia. wrist pins an engine oil cooler other than that can't think of anything else. 

Ok, yes I did not want to install a turbo if the D239 does not have piston cooler nozzles, that's my main concern really. I was hoping someone on here might have opened one up before to know for sure. I know even without them, under normal circumstances, I probably would not have a problem. I'm thinking about trying to use this tractor to pull a 15ft brush hog. Once a year on 80 acres.  My land is some what level mostly, with acouple decent hills.  If the tractor struggles very much I will look into trading for a bigger tractor.   

Better leave bushhog alone 685 is a strong

little tractor but don’t think pto can handle a batwng

We pull a 3514, 14'  Bush Hog stalk chopper, essentially just a heavy rotary cutter with a shredder kit, behind a 6860 Landini to cut our fields once a year, usually Aug/Sept when everything's tall and tough and it pulls it just fine in my opinion. Gotta have weight on the front to keep her down, but unless it's really really thick and lying down it does just fine. Can't move along in high, but then again we can move fast enough that it's not too rough and you can still react if there's debris laying in front. It's a 12X12 and we're usually in mid range 1st or 2nd. Sure, it makes the tractor work hard once in a while, but that's what it's for. It handles it fine and if not, there's always a bunch of slower speeds to choose from to get through the tough patch. Also, if it's  tough, you can just raise it some or take a narrower cut. Your biggest concern will be the weight of the unit on the drawbar and the need for front weights. And, ours only has about 1/2 the possible front suitcase weights. We're right at the min recommended hp for the pull type model. I'd try it before rushing out to get a bigger tractor if that's the only reason.