plowmaster

400 block piston wrist pin location

Honestly, all I want to do is do an inframe in my 986. 

Now I'm measuring crank to be larger than standard, so I'm heading to the pistons.

been searching for differences in engines, none are quite clear. I could write several paragraphs about what exactly it is I'm looking for and why, but I've done that here more than once with little results...so I just ask a specific question while I'm searching myself in hopes that I may get a response. I hope this does not seem condensending or rude, but it is discouraging to look and ask for help in the only place you know where to find it, and never see a reply.

Maybe if you would be specific about what the **** engine model you are talking about.

Apparently, between the 414, 436 and 466, wrist pin locations differ. I've got a 436(dt stamped), with what may be a later 466 crank, but I'm looking to find out, and by determining wrist pin locations between the different displacements I should be able to tell. No idea how else and very hard to find information on how these engines differ

1 hour ago, hippy5488 said:

service manual says 8.438-8.442  between pin centerline and rod centerline  all 300/400 engines

That would clarify that all con rods are same, however the location of the pin varies to increase, decrease stroke, apparently.

im slowly learning. The information is out there, just needs to be found...I'm getting there, and starting to document it. Writing it down in the tractors service folder is the only way I can see and understand it...needs to be on paper. Thanks to all for the help!

Plowmaster

The connecting rods for the DT - 414   DT-436,  & DT 466,  engines are all the same.    The crankshaft is different for each model of engine due to the displacement being different.    The piston bore is the same for each model of engine.   The wristpin location for each model of engine is in a different position, due to the different stroke of the crankshaft.  Hope this helps.

GT&T

• Like 1

this very well may nOT apply to this application,but have been asked on other models/applications, to verify piston when ordering, as they were different locations of pin  and head or gasket could be also different,

so that could be where OP is getting the confusion....if he has a TALLER crank would need lower set piston or "head" room....?

Yep.....just looking for numbers concerning depth of pin to top of piston for each different displacement.

If you need to know what crank you have, throw a tape measure on it. Measure from the block to the crank throw, spin it half a turn and do it again, now you have the stroke and what crank you have.

I believe what he is asking for is the measurement for the compression height of the piston. From the top of the piston to the center of the piston pin hole in the skirt, for each of the models, 414, 436, and 466.

Ross

15 minutes ago, RBootsMI said:

I believe what he is asking for is the measurement for the compression height of the piston. From the top of the piston to the center of the piston pin hole in the skirt, for each of the models, 414, 436, and 466.

Ross

RBoots

I may be wrong, but  I don't remember seeing this spec. listed in the service manual.   If  someone has the information I would like to see it as well

GT&T

Just now, GT&T said:

RBoots

I may be wrong, but  I don't remember seeing this spec. listed in the service manual.   If  someone has the information I would like to see it as well

GT&T

I'm gonna guess it's more sophisticated info than will be in a regular service manual? Maybe it could be found in an engine specific manual?  Sounds just like the Ford diesel engines, they had a lot of the same parts, just different compression heights on the pistons and stroke length. Found that out when I ordered pistons for a 201 I had bored, sleeved, bored. Can't remember which engine they were from, same bore, wrong compression height. Piston crown stuck up above the top of the block about an 1/8" when assembled. Took a little while to figure out what pistons they sent me, definitely not 201 pistons!

Ross

407 - 2.975

414 - 3.6985

436 - 3.575

466 - shows 3 different pistons

3.399, to Eng s/n 75,000

3.404,  4 ring piston

3.409 from Eng s/n 76,440 to 850,653

• Thanks 1

Gordon

Thank you for posting this information.    Where is this published?   What manual?    Or if you told me will you have to shoot me?      :rolleyes:

GT&T

1 hour ago, gordon76 said:

407 - 2.975

414 - 3.6985

436 - 3.575

466 - shows 3 different pistons

3.399, to Eng s/n 75,000

3.404,  4 ring piston

3.409 from Eng s/n 76,440 to 850,653

Thank you much! Great way to start my Monday!

If you take a wire brush to the top of the piston, ih stamped all of their 400 series pistons to label what they were. It is located between the valve reliefs. I’m not sure if you can see from this picture or not. 

3BD7A5AF-8D17-4B19-B0CE-214872D65CAF.jpeg