Redisright

88 series sentry

How much risk to running test harness. With out sentry installed.  Like to hear your experiences.

Thanks

Could grenade trans next, shift. Might last 20 years.  Once our 5088 grabbed high/low at same time, dad caught it right away and shifted back to low. Never done it since. 8900 hours on tractor,  no idea how long test harness has been in there.

Guy in the neighborhood (case ih tech for years) recently told me he had a test harness in his 5288.  The cringe I did have got his attention.  He said that it's been in a long time and it will probably last a lot longer.  He didn't like it when I said he would be the first to know when it failed as he would have a formerly good tractor that now needed a major tranny rebuild.  My sentry is still in and ALWAYS WILL stay on my 5488.  I have had to replace a speed switch and the clutch depress sentry reset switch in mine, but that is damn cheap insurance compared to frying the whole transmission IMO.

I take them out less trouble I’ve had the sentry lock both gears at once nothing is safe if you have a good operator your fine

I'm sure Mike Links has posted the results of not having a sentry somewhere

All depends on how bad they go I’ve had to put the shaft in before on one that one had sentry locking both gears at once used shaft new high low clutches and gears all new syncros in speed and range and reseal 50 gal of new oil you’ll have about 2000 in parts tied up. I did a 8930 magnum power shift this spring put every clutch and Belview washer in had about 4 in parts labor was about twice that

Here ya go u decide.  Here is what happens when you run the test harness.  Do not run one no matter who says what.  The people putting these in and saying run them is terrible advise.  They do not release speed trans when clutch is applied only master clutch.  They turn the system into a toggle switch.  They shift so fast that they overlap the clutch packs everytime.  If catch wrong they will lock the trans instantly.  I had one do it in the drive way here.  It will throw you out of seat.  Now imagine if your at road speed up or down shifting with loaded gravity wagons behind and it locks.  Its not gonna be good.  Foolish statements tear up equipment and get people hurt.  I have never had a sentry lock a trans.  I dont understand the theory of rebuild the trans if it gets screwed up.  Its not if its when.  My 2 cents take it for what its worth.  Off my soap box

Mike

20171209_203715.jpg

22 minutes ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

Here ya go u decide.  Here is what happens when you run the test harness.  Do not run one no matter who says what.  The people putting these in and saying run them is terrible advise.  They do not release speed trans when clutch is applied only master clutch.  They turn the system into a toggle switch.  They shift so fast that they overlap the clutch packs everytime.  If catch wrong they will lock the trans instantly.  I had one do it in the drive way here.  It will throw you out of seat.  Now imagine if your at road speed up or down shifting with loaded gravity wagons behind and it locks.  Its not gonna be good.  Foolish statements tear up equipment and get people hurt.  I have never had a sentry lock a trans.  I dont understand the theory of rebuild the trans if it gets screwed up.  Its not if its when.  My 2 cents take it for what its worth.  Off my soap box

Mike

20171209_203715.jpg

Best to listen to what this guy has to say........

BEEN THERE☝️☝️☝️

Put a sentry box in it and save the money.

Matt

Has there been anything new from the guy who was reverse engineering a Sentry?