IH Skid steer made by Hydra mac?

CubNamedOscar

I was out looking on the forums and seen someone say Hydra-Mac made IH Skid Steers in the late 70s and early 80s, CaseIH bought the factory out and closed it down late 90's - 2000's. Hydra-Mac did build for Gehl though... then I also hear Gehl bought Hydra-Mac and IH Took excess of Hydra-Macs Inventory...? 

I'm asking this because I'm tracking down my Grandpa's 12C Hydra mac and trying to find out if the IH Skid steers(4100 series)  are the same as the Hydra-Macs besides different motors. 

If anyone has some information about this or who and what place still sells parts I'd really appreciate it. 

22 minutes ago, Takn4aFool said:

some IH models were built by Northern Motor Co./Wollard Industries in Eau Claire WI. about 15 miles from where i live

Oh, I see. I'm told Gehl/Steiger/IH was behind Hydra-mac too they made skid steers for IH, Gehl and such... Steiger was part of the company. 

What I'm told the IH 4130/4140? Where Hydra mac made. 

6 hours ago, Alan Dinan said:

I think someone posted a video on here about Steiger and Hydra-Mac being related somehow. One of the Steiger brothers maybe started Hydra-Mac?

Yup that's what I'm told Steiger was part-Family of the Company and a Venture of it... Then IH/Gehl got involved Hydra-mac made them skid steers, then got into lawsuits, about Onan selling them BAD Engines which they knew and won the settlement, they also had a law-suit with Polaris/Arctic cat for using a design on their machines... and so I think that's what took them down otherwise it seems sales where GOOD like Melroe but WAYY more Durable built and like a TANK! 

Someone also said They went down because  Mostly went down because they were built too good and re-engineering them to meet safety standards cost too much. The after the child of hydra mac Is the ASV positrack which has ties to Polaris/ arctic cat. 

15 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

The 12 C was the same as a 4140 IH I believe. They had a 4 cylinder Ford gas engine. The 8C and 4130 were the same unit.

I think parts should be available at CaseIH. 

I contacted CaseIH and they don't sell parts anymore or so I'm told its a "Retired part" unless you can Contact them for me and see another view of it?? 

Yes someone told me 4140 same as 12C... My only problem is what if the guys who bought it from us realized that parts are impossible to find and gave up on it or used it until disrepair, or scrapped it etc I would hate to see that!!! I grew up around that machine. 

If I find his machine and buy it next I'm getting a 9C or maybe a 14C and a 20C... 

2 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

We had a 8 or 9 c? 2 cyl diesel engine. Was a pretty good skid steer as i recall...

Indeed they are Grandpa only ever had Hydraulic Pumps fail, and The Injection pump Priming unit. I just gotta find the contact my grandpa had for that unit to get rebuilt and new injectors. Ours had a 3cyl Isuzu. 

Hmm maybe ours was 3 cylinder as well. Recall at an idle it sounded like a johny popper to me.....pretty sure 2 cyl but its been a long time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Hmm maybe ours was 3 cylinder as well. Recall at an idle it sounded like a johny popper to me.....pretty sure 2 cyl but its been a long time.

You still know any contacts, dealers, or websites for parts>? 

I really dont im sorry. Think dad bought it at Hackert? Sales and service in Sully ,,Iowa. But im not even sure if they are around anymore.

• Like 1

I have an IH 4136, which is a 4130 with the 2 cyl Isuzu diesel.  It is the same machine as a Hydra Mac 9C III (9C-3).  I have the manuals for both, interesting that the IH manual calls for Hy-Tran, the Hydra Mac book calls for Type F ATF.  

Here is a link to Hackert, they appear to still be there:

https://www.hackertsales.com/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I really dont im sorry. Think dad bought it at Hackert? Sales and service in Sully ,,Iowa. But im not even sure if they are around anymore.

Yup hackert is still around and doing sales with hydra mac. that seems to be the only place i can find for parts or that 100% have them on self or whats left 

Well i'll be darned. Dont live far from there but hadn't paid attention in years. Dont get over there much either. Hope they can help you out if you need some stuff.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, farmall57 said:

I have an IH 4136, which is a 4130 with the 2 cyl Isuzu diesel.  It is the same machine as a Hydra Mac 9C III (9C-3).  I have the manuals for both, interesting that the IH manual calls for Hy-Tran, the Hydra Mac book calls for Type F ATF.  

Here is a link to Hackert, they appear to still be there:

https://www.hackertsales.com/

Very cool! Do you know of anywhere besides Hackert's sales for parts? 

I haven't done much searching for the motor I just know it was a 3cyl Isuzu and most likely only came in the 12C... 
Other than that I found 3-4 Dealers, 2 That CAN get parts & 2 Who might be able too and a bunch for Gaskets/Seals, Hydraulic Pump rebuilt etc.

So Hackert's seems to be the place for Replacement parts. 

• 1 year later...
On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:33 PM, Takn4aFool said:

some IH models were built by Northern Motor Co./Wollard Industries in Eau Claire WI. about 15 miles from where i live

The model 3300 (A-B) was the skid steer built by Northwestern Mfg. in Eau Claire, WI.  These were all yellow in color and sold (mainly) by IH Industrial dealers.

2 hours ago, Bermuda_Ken said:

The model 3300 (A-B) was the skid steer built by Northwestern Mfg. in Eau Claire, WI.  These were all yellow in color and sold (mainly) by IH Industrial dealers.

Ken.  I'm surprised. All the 3200A's we sold were red and white. The B's whether 32's or 33's were white. A's sold by industrial were yellow and white. I'm not sure but I think the industrial B's were yellow and white also. At least at one period in time.

I'm thinking of two I worked on at Brooklyn. Both B's both yellow and white. Tuffy had an all white 33b that I welded together at Juda.

we had a might mac skid steer about a 4 foot wide machine way back in the mid 70.s was better than  wheelbarrow, had a 2 cylinder onan and resembled a gehl skidsteer at the time with the 2 t handles. got traded for a used 743 bobcat , in early 90.,

22 hours ago, pt756 said:

we had a might mac skid steer about a 4 foot wide machine way back in the mid 70.s was better than  wheelbarrow, had a 2 cylinder onan and resembled a gehl skidsteer at the time with the 2 t handles. got traded for a used 743 bobcat , in early 90.,

I have a Mighty Mac that was made in the later 60s or early 70's . It has 1 T handle to control Fwd , Rev and turning by twisting the handle . The hydraulic levers for the arms  and bucket were separate levers beside the seat . It also has the 2 cyl Onan engine and a 48 inch bucket .

If I remember correctly thete is decal saying it was manufacured in Thief River Falls Minnesota .

same as the one we had. the big problem we had at first was the number 60 chains that ran the wheels,affter a while we didn't even tighten down the chain guard as we were always repairing the chains, bot like the bobcat system where it seems you almost never hear of a chain drive problem in the older ones,

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi Folks

Very nice to find this site. Thank You.

I was given a model year 1997 Hydra Mac 1850 from my good friend who purchased it new.

After beating on it for 15 years, he decided to completely dismantle this machine in order to give it a new paint job.

Then, Divorce hit him.   His dear wife seemed to enjoy the company of a guy she met while working as a waitress at a truck-stop.

So, my chum decided that he no longer had a need for this skid-steer and gave it to me,   IN Baskets,  Lots of Baskets.

It has taken up a lot of time to rebuild, but I am almost there. 

The engine that came with this machine is a 2004 Isuzu, C 240 Diesel, which I've done a lot of work on, and now runs like a charm.

I have managed to get some of the hydraulic lines installed in their proper locations, but still having some issues with that system.

I am Hoping that someone on this forum might be able to help with Pictures or Drawings of the complete hydraulic line system so 

that I might be able to follow them and complete this rebuild. I have the drive, turn, reverse system working at this point. 

***The hydraulic line locations for the bucket and lift system on the control valve are the big issues right now. 

By the way, I also have lots of spare parts that my chum gave me from another machine. Quite a list actually.

If you can, Please Help me.

Thank You very kindly

Frederic Deacon

northchannel@msn.com  or 705-248-1234

• 6 months later...