Antique Pull mishap

DWF

I was at a small show in West Wisconsin today and they had a tractor pull too. One of the last tractors to pull for the day was a Deere 730. He was going along slow but was chugging away  fairly nice when all of a sudden it popped out of gear and went directly into reverse. Luckily he got it stopped before damage was done to the skid and also was lucky no one got hurt. The guy running the skid said in 17 years of doing that he's seen tractors pop out of gear but he's never seen this. I guess the tractor was in 2nd and reverse is directly behind?

DWF

Wow. Glad nobody was hurt (or worse)

Wow! What are the odds that everything was lined up perfectly to come out of one gear and go into reverse?! That shift lever must have moved violently! I’m surprised that it didn’t rev up just a little bit, and just bounce off reverse gear?! 

41 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

That’s pretty wild. Must have had to clean out his shorts after that

Well......it was a deere and he said he was going slow so...........?

Back in the 80s the same thing happened at our small antique tractor pull except it was a john deere A. we didn't have a weight transfer sled just a sheet of steel with a tractor on it and guys stepping on every few feet. The bad part was one guy was standing on the front of the sled leaning against the tractor on the sled and behind the tractor pulling the sled....and he got crushed but he survived. And that was the end of our club until we got a weight transfer sled. I was about 12 years old at the time on a Super H and was 2 tractors away from pulling and saw the whole thing happen.

9 hours ago, ihcbill said:

except it was a john deere A

Was try'n to think back after I'd read this thread.  IIRC, those JDs had a metal cover over the shift mechanism to select the gear?

best, randy

On the 620 1st and reverse are opposite each other. I don't remember what the 720 is like.  I've never had one pop out of any gear but since it's 60 years old and many of those machines were worked hard almost anything can happen.

I would think there may have been some bouncing around, and possibly even a bent or broken shift fork involved. Lots of possibilities 

I'd bet $100 he pulled it down too low, and it kicked over and ran backwards. I've personally seen JD 2 cylinders do that at pulls, they spit oil all over the hood when the oil bath breather is now the exhaust.

I Even got my old Cat 3406B to run backwards one time by letting the Jakes go too long and then hitting the clutch, didnt know anything was wrong till the oil pressure buzzer went off and I saw black smoke coming out of the air filter on the side. Pretty much any diesel with the right injection pump can run backwards. Only real problem is the oil pump now runs the wrong way and won't build oil pressure.

Our pulling tractor did that quite a few years ago.  Started it up to unload it at home, it started and died, started it again and it coughed and popped, and next thing I know, smoke coming out of the turbo.  Craziest thing I’ve ever seen!! I’ve heard about it, never have saw it. 

19 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

Our pulling tractor did that quite a few years ago.  Started it up to unload it at home, it started and died, started it again and it coughed and popped, and next thing I know, smoke coming out of the turbo.  Craziest thing I’ve ever seen!! I’ve heard about it, never have saw it. 

It was about 2012 or so I was sitting at the Cambridge pull watching the antiques before the big guns pulled, lil 10 year old was pulling his dad or Grandpa's 70 I think it was, just before it died he pulled clutch and it immediatly pucked oil all over the hood. I knew right away what happened, Lance Larson was standing right there, ran over and pulled decompression lever and killed it, that poor lil kid was white as a ghost, prolly thought he ruined is Grandpas tractor forever. 

I think it was that same pull a few years earlier I saw an older oliver diesel do the same thing, kicked back when they hit the clutch and ran backwards.

A friend of mine watched a hired man (not a very good one) try to drive a 966 over a levee in road gear, killed it, rolled back down the levee and got it running backwards.  I wasn't there to see it, though.

Now that it's been brought up I remember a J. R. Hobbs article that stated the Deere modified the R to lessen the possibility that it would run backwards if pulled down to the last gasp.

12 hours ago, Steve C. said:

A friend of mine watched a hired man (not a very good one) try to drive a 966 over a levee in road gear, killed it, rolled back down the levee and got it running backwards.  I wasn't there to see it, though.

Must have been an early one with an unmodified pump. Later pumps have a two piece gear in them that throws the timing way off so they don't run backwards.

Archived