Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ericjen

Leaking headgasket on 7220

Local shop says remove the head and have it planed. Then check head bolts to see if they are stretched. I thought these engines were bullet proof. Guess not.

I don’t think head gasket leakage is real unusual on Magnums.  My brother’s second 7140 had a seeping head gasket when he got it.  Not a huge deal.

24 minutes ago, ericjen said:

Local shop says remove the head and have it planed. Then check head bolts to see if they are stretched. I thought these engines were bullet proof. Guess not.

No engine is bulletproof without maintenance. Regular coolant and oil changes are important.

Travis

8 hours ago, Sparky said:

No engine is bulletproof without maintenance. Regular coolant and oil changes are important.

Travis

X2

I have put in a couple head gaskets and the two I did had broken head bolts in the right rear corner . Make sure you clean the block, head , tap holes out , wipe head a block down with brake clean and then paint the head gasket with 4 even coats of alluminum spray paint . When the last coat of paint is on set it on the block and set the head straight down not sliding it around . Put all new head bolts in and start the torque at 25,50,75,100,125,150 ft lbs then to spec . Cummins has there torque plus method , I have the service manual from Case IH and on the early motors they gave a standard old way to torque the bolts /like IH did so I have been doing them that way with no trouble .

Danny 

On the "C" series engine there is multiple different procedures depending on what bolts you have, new bolts & original block, new bolts & new head and so forth. I have it in a condensed quick reference and can send to you if you want. ***note a 7220 should already have the (torque to yield) bolts identified by (T+90<) marking on head***

As others said no engine is bullet proof, however the "C" series have been an above average engine (IMO) I have seen head gasket leaks on them, most times about midway back on left (inj pump) side. 

In 25 + years of working of farm tractors the biggest cause of problems I see are the lack of a good PM program. 

The headgasket leak is slight, so slight that it wasen't noticed until I noticed a fuel filter was was leaking fuel. Further investigation show a stain on the front of the block. Coolent could be found only after the tractor sat after a day. She is headed for the shop next week. 

We had three head gasket leaks on our 8950 before 5000 hours. It's now at 16,500 hours  and we have 7 of these Magnums averaging over 12,000 and that's the only one we have changed so far. Pretty bullet proof engine imo

On 8/17/2018 at 7:31 PM, Sparky said:

Travis

On 8/18/2018 at 3:49 AM, jass1660 said:

X2

Agreed, and no offense but you can add how it was driven, we have a few guys at work that I think can break a truck riding in the back seat.