66Loadstar4X4

1969 Loadstar 1600 4x4 Registration

Hello all, I purchased a 1966 Loadstar 4x4 last summer with the intention of using it to haul my tractors around and go get hay with it. My problem is that from all I have found I have to register it as commercial, this would mean that I would need a business to register it to. I also cant get farm plates because I dont have a farm tax ID number. I saw a Ford F-800 4x4 with classic plates on it, does anyone have an idea of how I could get classic plates on my truck? I am in Connecticut and the trucks GVW is 19000lbs.

This is my first post on this forums, thanks in advance for any suggestions.   

IMG_7948.JPEG

IMG_7925.JPG

Nice!!

Talk to your insurance agent , I had a 52 GMC military 6x6 registered in MA as an antique vehicle ,

another suggestion would be to find a local chapter truck or auto club , such as ATHS (Antique truck

Historical Society)  join up and talk to members. American Truck Historical Society

I just got a 1964 1600 4x4.  I live in Wisconsin but have not registered it yet.  15000 miles and is rumored to have sat in a dark corner most of it's life.  It needs a few things before I head out.  The plan is to pull my IH 500E crawler with it.  It dwarfs my F250 Super Duty!

DSCN2789-2.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like shop-built front fenders on your truck.

14 hours ago, Kevingweq said:

Talk to your insurance agent , I had a 52 GMC military 6x6 registered in MA as an antique vehicle ,

another suggestion would be to find a local chapter truck or auto club , such as ATHS (Antique truck

Historical Society)  join up and talk to members. American Truck Historical Society

That is a good idea I will have to give that a try. Thanks!

10 hours ago, Super44 said:

I just got a 1964 1600 4x4.  I live in Wisconsin but have not registered it yet.  15000 miles and is rumored to have sat in a dark corner most of it's life.  It needs a few things before I head out.  The plan is to pull my IH 500E crawler with it.  It dwarfs my F250 Super Duty!

DSCN2789-2.jpg

Thats a nice looking truck you got there, what does yours have under the hood? Mine has a V304 with 11000 miles on it. I am thinking about repowering mine with a 7.3 IDI with a banks turbo. 

Funny you should say about the F-250 I have a picture of my Loadstar sitting next to my 1986 F-250(That I cant get registered either) and the F-250 has a 7" lift

Image-1.jpg

3 hours ago, R Pope said:

Looks like shop-built front fenders on your truck.

I believe that that was a custom job by the fire department that owned it or the dealer that they bought it from, the body that was on it was also built of diamond plate. Even the running boards were replaced with diamond plate. 

1 hour ago, 66Loadstar4X4 said:

Thats a nice looking truck you got there, what does yours have under the hood? Mine has a V304 with 11000 miles on it. I am thinking about repowering mine with a 7.3 IDI with a banks turbo. 

Funny you should say about the F-250 I have a picture of my Loadstar sitting next to my 1986 F-250(That I cant get registered either) and the F-250 has a 7" lift

Image-1.jpg

BD 265 inline six.  I wonder if the bell housing would accept a 392?

Have you driven the truck. The 4x4 versions tend to be a bit slow and thristy. The 7.3 idea would help solve the fuel consumption 

I have not driven it more than a mile far.  I don't plan to go far with it and slow is not much of an issue.

20 hours ago, Super44 said:

BD 265 inline six.  I wonder if the bell housing would accept a 392?

What transmission does yours have? Mine has a 5spd with a granny low, as far as I know they were all the same bell housings and the 392 is the same block as the 304 so it would fit in there no problems.

19 hours ago, edwardporter1 said:

Have you driven the truck. The 4x4 versions tend to be a bit slow and thristy. The 7.3 idea would help solve the fuel consumption 

I havent driven mine on the road yet but the previous owner said top speed was around 50-55 and I think around 6-8 MPG. I hope with the 7.3 I could get around 10-12 empty but not sure.

Im also in Connecticut and I don’t believe you are required to register it as a commercial vehicle.  You can register it as an “early American” or “classic vehicle” which is CT’s antique vehicle class. That is the way our 1961 R-200 is registered. Visit the DMV website and read under the antique/classic vehicle section. 

Your bell will fit the V8's.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Caretaker said:

Im also in Connecticut and I don’t believe you are required to register it as a commercial vehicle.  You can register it as an “early American” or “classic vehicle” which is CT’s antique vehicle class. That is the way our 1961 R-200 is registered. Visit the DMV website and read under the antique/classic vehicle section. 

Just out of curiosity, what is your trucks GVW registered at? Also can you still used it to haul personal stuff around not for hire? Thank you   

35 minutes ago, 66Loadstar4X4 said:

Just out of curiosity, what is your trucks GVW registered at? Also can you still used it to haul personal stuff around not for hire? Thank you   

I believe you can haul whatever you’d like just as long as you don’t exceed the max GVW, create an unsecured/unsafe load situation, or any other reason that might grab the attention of CSP.  Our manufacturer’s max GVW is listed on the data plate at 27500. The actual declared weight according to certified scale is 25,200. Our truck is not for hire.  When in doubt, ask the DMV. 

22 hours ago, Caretaker said:

I believe you can haul whatever you’d like just as long as you don’t exceed the max GVW, create an unsecured/unsafe load situation, or any other reason that might grab the attention of CSP.  Our manufacturer’s max GVW is listed on the data plate at 27500. The actual declared weight according to certified scale is 25,200. Our truck is not for hire.  When in doubt, ask the DMV. 

That helps a ton, thank you very much for that information. Hopefully I can get my truck on the road soon and maybe I will see you at some truck shows!

This weekend I was in Baraboo WI for the engine show and a 1973 1600 Loadstar 4x4 was on display.  It had collector plates so I think that is how mine will be registered.  It also had lock out hubs, would those parts interchange with the 1964 front axle?  I would think mileage would be much better if not pushing all that front axle?

DSCN3016-2.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:51 PM, 66Loadstar4X4 said:

What transmission does yours have? Mine has a 5spd with a granny low, as far as I know they were all the same bell housings and the 392 is the same block as the 304 so it would fit in there no problems.

BG-265

9 hours ago, Super44 said:

This weekend I was in Baraboo WI for the engine show and a 1973 1600 Loadstar 4x4 was on display.  It had collector plates so I think that is how mine will be registered.  It also had lock out hubs, would those parts interchange with the 1964 front axle?  I would think mileage would be much better if not pushing all that front axle?

DSCN3016-2.jpg

I would have to imagine that it is the same front axle and it would interchange. The real question is where to find a set of lockout hubs, I would love to get a pair for my truck. I also want to get a two speed rear end if I can find one where low is the same ratio as the front end, that way in 2wd I could use high and get a little more speed out of it. 

In Wisconsin a truck registered with collector plates is only allowed to carry 500 pounds over it's empty weight. That 500 lbs. includes the driver and any passengers. In other words, if you and your passenger are heavy set, that leaves 50 to 100 lbs. of "cargo". So, if you want to legally haul a tractor, you need to buy a regular plate that covers the loaded weight. I obey the law, and it annoys me when I see people breaking it. Because I spend about $600.00 each year properly licensing trucks that qualify for collector plates, so I can legally haul my toys and equipment. I see people breaking this law all the time. The other day I saw a rusted out '87 Ford F-150, overloaded with firewood, it's rear bumper almost dragging on the pavement, and yes, it had a collector plate. 

I am getting the line set ticket soon so I will know what the parts are.  I do know it's is a BG-265 inline 6 and a 4 speed transmission.  Looks like collector plates will not work for this one, darn.

13 hours ago, Super44 said:

I am getting the line set ticket soon so I will know what the parts are.  I do know it's is a BD-265 inline 6 and a 4 speed transmission.  Looks like collector plates will not work for this one, darn.

Can you get a line setting ticket at any Navistar dealer?