Art From DeLeon

Better Get Out There And See It Before It's Gone

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3150830/Bathtub-ring-Hoover-Dam-shows-level-Lake-Mead-dropping-amid-continuing-drought-America-s-west.html

How long before Las Vegas and California start DEMANDING water from other states?  (Maybe Mexico will supply them?)(Sanctuary water, for the sanctuary cities?)

Even IF it would be remotely feasible, ONE NON-negotiable condition would be that the Yucca Mountain nuclear waste storage site be opened for business, BEFORE any construction on an alternative water supply begins.

I've been to Hoover Dam and Lake Mead twice in my life- Once in the early 1980's and then in the mid 1990's. Wow that is bad. They need to stop taking from that lake and give it time to rebound. One thing this makes me wonder about - There is a BOEING B-29 Super Fortress at the bottom of Lake Mead. It belly landed on the lake in the 1940's and sank to the bottom. All these years the depth of the plane kept recreational divers from reaching it. I wonder how deep it is now since the lake is dropping. It probably won't be long before divers can get to it and start stealing stuff off the plane, unless laws are put in place and enforced to protect it.

5 hours ago, Rick G. said:

I've been to Hoover Dam and Lake Mead twice in my life- Once in the early 1980's and then in the mid 1990's. Wow that is bad. They need to stop taking from that lake and give it time to rebound. One thing this makes me wonder about - There is a BOEING B-29 Super Fortress at the bottom of Lake Mead. It belly landed on the lake in the 1940's and sank to the bottom. All these years the depth of the plane kept recreational divers from reaching it. I wonder how deep it is now since the lake is dropping. It probably won't be long before divers can get to it and start stealing stuff off the plane, unless laws are put in place and enforced to protect it.

I would think that on the ground, in the air, or covered w/ water it's still property of the USAF.

I wonder how long before old towns and houses start showing up on the far end of the lake. I want to get out there and see it sometime. Prolly be a good winter trip. 

2 hours ago, Atilathehun99 said:

or covered w/ water it's still property of the USAF.

Chuckle, you've made me think back about B-29s!  When I went out to China Lake Weapon's Test Center NAS at Inyokern in 1971 to ferry #44-62070 (became FIFI) back to Harlingen for the CAF we saw that the USAF had given the Navy 31 obsolete B-29s (the one that ultimately became FIFI was tail #31 at Randolph AFB in San Antonio.  Anyways, I can still remember some Navy guy out there asking me "what was going on?"  I'm not really sure of what rank he was - had a lot of stripes on his sleve tho.  Being me, I wasn't overly impressed with the USN anyhow (considering my USAF service) so I told him that it was lucky that the USAF had given them to the USN to use as weapons targets since some of them were totally unscathed!  

Also, we found the one that became DOC out on the NW target range.

best, randy

• Haha 1

I was to the Hoover dam in the fall of 16 and the water was only 80 ft low then. According to the tour guide the water level was low but it wasn't for a huge lack of water, just that more water was being held by up stream dams. They have been doing so because the up stream dams are more sensitive to low water levels.

Wife and I were at Hoover Dam spring of 2013.  That white ring above the water is over twice as wide now as it was then.  The tour guides explained it as lack of snowfall to melt and replenish the lake,  no real sense of urgency the way they said it back then.

Strange how the water level drops when more is pumped out than flows back in. The govt should do a study...

• Like 1

I think Mark Twain said this ( whiskey is for drinking !  WATER IS FOR FIGHTING 👀🤓 

On 8/13/2018 at 1:17 PM, FRF said:

Strange how the water level drops when more is pumped out than flows back in. The govt should do a study...

Thanks one the better lines.