redtop1460

Interesting 1566

Lots of weird stuff with that one...   my simple mind  doesn't see why you would use a turbo on a load cell machine. Or something with planetaries,  trying to spin the trans that fast through them has to be crazy hard on them.

Either way its rough, and sad that it will prolly be scrapped.

Alright... what’s a load cell tractor? What in God’s name is up with the exhaust pipe having a stop valve? Let’s see here what have I got laying around that will... ah yes here this will work!!!!!

It was at our local community college diesel tech provram which is very highly thought of. Was used in training. 

38 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Alright... what’s a load cell tractor? What in God’s name is up with the exhaust pipe having a stop valve? Let’s see here what have I got laying around that will... ah yes here this will work!!!!!

Used to pull around for testing to simulate load ie plow. The valve was a rudimentary exhaust brake.

15 minutes ago, mader656 said:

Used to pull around for testing to simulate load ie plow. The valve was a rudimentary exhaust brake.

I still don’t get it. Who used it for testing? 

I may be way off, but I believe the idea is that you drag a tractor behind the one you want to test, and it becomes an air compressor instead of an engine.  You throttle the valve on the exhaust down to create back pressure and make it harder to turn the engine, therefore harder to pull.

42 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

I still don’t get it. Who used it for testing? 

Farmall had some Danny Anderson had them... I'll bet the Nebraska lab has them..

The tech school musta used them too.

It belonged to the Diesel Mechanics Program at Kishwaukee Community College in Malta, Illinois since new. Read the dam description 

• Haha 2

Just to make it easier 😉

Description

Given to Kishwaukee College to use on Dyno work for Ag Classes. Tractor is the 5th 1566 made by IH in 1974. Not running now. What you see is what you get. Tractor ran when put away and has been sitting outside for 15 years or more. Bring a trailer. Make arrangements for loading.We cant load, we can air up tires that's about it. Sold at no reserve. Located in Malta, We do not own the equipment and are auctioneers for sellers. Descriptions taken for sources deemed reliable but not guaranteed. This unit has not been serviced or inspected other then walking around the machine and then pointing out any pros or cons that we visually see. We will always tell you everything we know about the unit…good or bad! Any known mechanical issues will be pointed out, however as with any older unit, you can expect some normal imperfections, defects, leaks etc. All bidders are encouraged to self–inspect the unit prior to purchase. When bidding on this item you fully agree to all our selling terms and conditions listed below.

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

It belonged to the Diesel Mechanics Program at Kishwaukee Community College in Malta, Illinois since new. Read the dam description 

I think you misunderstood me. I guess I was trying to figure out what a load cell tractor was and who use them.  Not this particular tractor. 

Wouldnt it be easier to dyno something? Maybe no pto? Implements do wonders. 

1 hour ago, Adam - NC said:

I may be way off, but I believe the idea is that you drag a tractor behind the one you want to test, and it becomes an air compressor instead of an engine.  You throttle the valve on the exhaust down to create back pressure and make it harder to turn the engine, therefore harder to pull.

That’s what I was trying to figure out. Thanks

Dyno does engine horsepower load cell tests pounds of pull. 

You hook your tractor to this load cell tractor and pull it. There is a gauge between the 2 that measures pounds of pull. The load cell tractor has to be a TA delete, you put it in gear and pull it with engine off, as you close the valve on the exhaust, the engine becomes an air compressor and puts more of a load on the tractor doing the pulling.

• Like 1

That would explain the back tires on backwards...........:blink:

Mike

• Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 2:48 PM, mader656 said:

Farmall had some Danny Anderson had them... I'll bet the Nebraska lab has them..

The tech school musta used them too.

Farmall Plant didn't have any, the tractors Danny has came from Hinsdale tech center. The Nebraska tractor test station has many tractors equipped to load the test tractors, some cases 3-4 test tractors needed to load the bigger test tractors.

• Thanks 1

So what you're saying is, it's literally had it's guts pulled out? 😲

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Farmall Plant didn't have any, the tractors Danny has came from Hinsdale tech center. The Nebraska tractor test station has many tractors equipped to load the test tractors, some cases 3-4 test tractors needed to load the bigger test tractors.

I knew someone smarter would chime in...

It seemed to be John Deere Day at the Nebraska Test Lab/Track, when this film was made.

Interesting video, I have seen a few on YouTube but that one was a little more in-depth on what they do.

Funny thing I noticed, being they are supposed to be the educated pro's, wouldn't you think they would make sure they spelled "hydrolics" correctly on the board behind the speaker? (Look over shoulder of last guy interviewed.)

Load cell tractors are used as described to verify drawbar hp.  They were also used by manufacturers for reliability testing of the powertrain during the R&D process of designing a new tractor. It would have been something to have been part of that test team, I can only imagine some of the crazy stuff they did to "abuse test" tractors.

That old 1566 looks pretty rough, but I bet it has a lot of history behind it. It probably could be very usefull for an antique tractor club or the hardcore antique tractor puller who wants to do some testing.

For those people in the know, beyond the exhaust valve/brake and a bunch of ballast, were there other modifications made?

2 hours ago, Cattech said:

Interesting video, I have seen a few on YouTube but that one was a little more in-depth on what they do.

Funny thing I noticed, being they are supposed to be the educated pro's, wouldn't you think they would make sure they spelled "hydrolics" correctly on the board behind the speaker? (Look over shoulder of last guy interviewed.)

Load cell tractors are used as described to verify drawbar hp.  They were also used by manufacturers for reliability testing of the powertrain during the R&D process of designing a new tractor. It would have been something to have been part of that test team, I can only imagine some of the crazy stuff they did to "abuse test" tractors.

That old 1566 looks pretty rough, but I bet it has a lot of history behind it. It probably could be very usefull for an antique tractor club or the hardcore antique tractor puller who wants to do some testing.

For those people in the know, beyond the exhaust valve/brake and a bunch of ballast, were there other modifications made?

I Saw that too saved it for my Nebraska fan friends..

Screenshot_2018-08-15-08-50-38.png

I have seen pictures of that tractor running at Hinsdale back in the day and yes it was a load cell tractor . The valve on the exhaust was opened or closed to restrict the exhaust . The pictures I seen that tractor was in a stationary load . They had big couplers like a dual hub that hooked the axels together from that tractor to the axel on the one being tested , they put two 1566's on each side for load .

Today most of this stuff is done inside with load machines that run 24/7 verse burning fuel outside and lots of people baby sitting these machines .

image.jpeg

Mule tractor for adding a load.  I remember seeing 2 of them hooked behind a white office/test wagon that a preproduction CaseIH 7150 was pulling in the Burr Ridge test track circle.  CNH still has some.

mule.JPG

• Like 1

Prepping a Challenger for the drawbar HP test. They have to level the tires and get them warm to put all the power to the pavement.