Sign in to follow this  
560Dennis

What Swallow follow around Tractor Mowing ?

Brush hogged 5  acres yesterday . As I was making the rounds thinking , I focused on the swallows  ( I think I'm right) (maybe 6) were catch the bugs I was stirring up. 

This birds as I remember had black fork tail ,white belly, brown body , black breast.  I didn't get a picture ,but going to mow some more they sure will tag along all day. 

Besides the rabbits I disturbed it was fascinated by the skill they can fly, reminds me of a bat . 

Anyway like having a fighter plane dog fight all day long. I got into watching cause of the number maneuvers they did . Wish I had a movie of how graceful they were. 

As I said I thought they were fascinating. 

Wonder why never noticed them when I was a kid mowing all day long. Probably not interesting ? 

barn swallows. they always follow me around when mowing hay. They are the ones that live in mud nests.

• Like 1

Probably Purple Martins or Barn Swallows. I have a colony of Purple Martins and they go absolutely nuts when I mow. Depending on sex and age determines their coloring. Barn swallows are from the same family but their coloring is not as dark. The martins winter in Brazil and come north to breed. Usually 4 to 5 eggs in a nest. In SW Ohio usually come in late April and leave early August.

One Purple Martin can eat as many as 300 or more mosquitos a day, besides other insects. Google Purple Martin for more info than you need.

Dennis

We have Purple Martins and Barn Swallows here but when we cut hay ,bush hog and other field work they must call the neighbors not uncommon too see a hundred or more diving back and forth.

We have lots of them and yes their acrobatics as they catch insects are amazing. You don't want to leave a tractor or other things in a barn with them in spring: they do a horrible job painting it white!

Like to see an eagle or red tail nab a mouse from a 1/4 mile or more away. What eye sight.

3 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

Brush hogged 5  acres yesterday . As I was making the rounds thinking , I focused on the swallows  ( I think I'm right) (maybe 6) were catch the bugs I was stirring up. 

This birds as I remember had black fork tail ,white belly, brown body , black breast.  I didn't get a picture ,but going to mow some more they sure will tag along all day. 

Besides the rabbits I disturbed it was fascinated by the skill they can fly, reminds me of a bat . 

Anyway like having a fighter plane dog fight all day long. I got into watching cause of the number maneuvers they did . Wish I had a movie of how graceful they were. 

As I said I thought they were fascinating. 

Wonder why never noticed them when I was a kid mowing all day long. Probably not interesting ? 

There was a lot of things I or all of us didn't notice as kids. Should have paid more attention to grandfathers stories about farming with horses and the thirties.

• Like 1

I have another feathered buddy I remember that use to dive around while mowing , it was a king bird from what the Kidds told me 

I look them up a while back and it that was it , I didn't see any king birds , that I noticed , and I didn't see any purple martins . 

Maybe tomorrow ! 

yesterday the swallows were just about ten feet and more   from the grill super C , looks like they have catch a lot  as had as they were working hard . They don't give up do they ? 

I love watching swallows fly while mowing. They will see a yummy looking bug while flying at warp 9 the pull a 10G turn to get it. I've actually seen them fly under the tractor while it's moving without a care. Must be the vibrations flushing the insects as they are often catching bugs ahead of the machine.

One of the barn swallows flew between the bottom of my tractor and the belly mounted flail on my cub a few years ago.  Really surprised me it would get that close.

I had one meadow with bumble bees. Used to sting me and the boys when we drove over their nest. Used to shout for joy when the swallows showed up. The bees they didn't catch out of the air, high tailed it back to their nest. And agree on the fighter jet analogy, they were amazing.

No Purple Martins, Dad bought 3-4 Martin houses, bought then started making sparrow traps, then made Martin houses.  Most I think he Ever got was 2 maybe 3 pair.  But we always had some Barn Swallows.

I think there's quite a few Barn Swallows nesting in the old tobacco shed by the neighbor's house,  I just get started good mowing the yard and they show up swooping around me when mowing.  It's fun to watch them.

Old stone farmhouse we lived in west of Freeport, Illinois had Bats in the attic. L-O-T-S of Bats.  Sat on the deck counting bats coming out of the tiniest hole between the trim and the stones one evening.  I stopped counting at 75.  Then I read they enter and exit at different spots.  But we had NO flying insects of any kind within 500 feet of the house. No flys, mosquitos, moths, anything. And we had 4-5 Four-H club calves in the barn. The Land-Lord's kid's club calves, He trained them, I fed them, and the kids got 2 blue ribbons and one red ribbon for their hard work.

We have bats here in the evening sometimes.  Would like to have them all the time.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:36 PM, Timothy56 said:

There was a lot of things I or all of us didn't notice as kids. Should have paid more attention to grandfathers stories about farming with horses and the thirties.

VERY TRUE..OR LIKE WALK BEHIND A HORSE DRAWN PLOW A FIND INDIAN ARROW HEAD...

• Like 1

An aside.

I remember as a boy late in the afternoon and early evening watching the Medowlarks flying and singing above the fields.  Haven't seen them here for decades now but when I'm traveling through the Great Plains I thoroughly enjoy their presence there.

9 hours ago, farmall666 said:

VERY TRUE..OR LIKE WALK BEHIND A HORSE DRAWN PLOW A FIND INDIAN ARROW HEAD...

Or dad telling you to walk the 40 cause he lost his wallet while plowing 😝

[I found it]

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Atilathehun99 said:

[I found it]

YUPP DID THAT TO. THEN HE FOUND IT ON TOP OF HIS DRESSER..

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Atilathehun99 said:

[I found it]

Why did he take his wallet ploughing?

Dad rented an 80 i think from an old bachelor for a couple years.he helped put crops in and lost his wallet in the field somwhere. Mom took 6 or so of us over to walk the bean field and look for his wallet. We did find!

I had one slap me on the ear as he/she/???, went by.

After a couple of times "helping" mow the lawn, I think they figured I'm not that dangerous...;)

Some days the whole crew comes out of the pole barn and helps.

One HECK of an airshow.

Mike