Here is a rare tractor, an International 606

Hydro70

I can remember one being repaired at our old dealership but this was back in the late 1970s and there is a guy here in my hometown that pulls one in the alcohol class and does real well but it painted industrial yellow with no decals but other than that Ive never seen one nowhere, they must not have made very many of these models?

International 606.jpg

• Like 1

Tractor Data says 7,348 were built, so not really common but not really rare either. I had one for nearly 15 years, a diesel. It was a handy tractor and a nice step up from a 300U. Picture shows it at Hoober's lot after I sold it to buy a 684.

IMG_0099.thumb.jpg.f3a13bef11d22adfbeb1fd959b4a7478.jpg

• Like 2

I watched a 606 diesel backhoe sell at an estate auction for $1800 last October. I was kind of kicking myself for not bidding, but I didn't know if I could make anything on it. It did run and function!!

I have 1 GAS 1 DIESEL and 1 2606 GAS  They seemed to have been  I Hs feeble attempt to bridge the gap between the 504 and the 706 until the 656 was introduced. we never sold any new but the dealers around us did.

I would like to have one to pull.

Here in Eastern Ontario I have seen a couple, not as common as a Farmall or utility 656, a maple syrup producer/logger has a gas 606 with a loader we serviced from the early 90s up to the early 2000s, he traded it for a new compact tractor, that 606 was a little rough but worked well, quite powerful engine and had a front mount pump for the loader, it was sold as is as I recall, it wasn’t looked at as a desirable tractor in 01 I guess, I think it sold for 3000, biggest issue was an oil leak into the clutch housing from the transmission, that tractor would probably bring 3000 easy now without the loader.

I always thought that the 606 looked so beefy compared to a 504 because of the 6cyl, and beefy to a 656 utility because of the lower profile hood and fenders. 

Definitely not the most common IH product but it is interesting to note in my neck of the woods I have touched two of them and saw a handful advertised for sale over the years, yet have never seen a 1206, 1256, or 1456 in a local farm setting, in the 60s in my area a 60-80 hp tractor was the big horse

I have found one , a diesel in need of a steering sector. I will call about it tomorrow.

On 8/10/2018 at 2:13 PM, Matt Kirsch said:

They're pretty much identical to a 460 Utility aren't they?

The major difference between 460 and 606 uitility tractors is mechanical steering on the 460, with or without power steering, whereas the 606 was equipped with hydraulic power steering.

14 hours ago, James Wilson said:

I have found one , a diesel in need of a steering sector. I will call about it tomorrow.

a 606 doesn't have a steering sector It has an hydrostatic  power steering system  with a flow divider, hand pump, centering valve,and a steering cylinder. 

Will those power steering parts be hard to find?

Yep, rare indeed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 5:25 PM, ihcbill said:

Dad has the only 606 that the dealer in Aledo ILL. ever sold. it was bought new by a neighbor that farmed with it an it never had a loader on it.

Harney- Morgan?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2018 at 6:02 PM, Jeff-C-IL said:

Hard to miss the "gas gauge" on that one--actually hard to see anything BUT.....

I was thinking the same thing - how the heck do you see over the propane tank.