Rob0688

IH 354 diesel won't run

Hello all, I have a 73 IH 354 diesel cav type injector pump. I was mowing and the engine revved up a few times and the engine died. I went through the fuel system, cleaned all the lines, put a new filter, cleaned the bowl,and put a new pump on the motor. I bled the lines to remove air and it still won't start. Took a little gas a and poured it on a towel and stuck it in the intake and it started, but won't keep running. Could it be a bad pump? no smoke, no missing, no banging or any type of engine noise. Any help or ideas would be helpful as i am stumped. Thanks in advance. 

speeding up and dying is a sign it ran out of fuel. Check your filters close, many people put a seal in the top of the element that doesn't go there. It blocks flow. 

No experience with the model or motor, but it does sound like no fuel is making it to the cylinders.

My trouble shooting steps would be:

Is there a manual prime on the pump? If so, does it feel like your drawing fuel at the pump? If not, can you confirm (confirm being the important word) that fuel flow is good to the pump?

If your confident that there is definitely good fuel flow at the pump, I guess next is, is the pump pumping? Or did mechanically something happen that it's no longer driven? You said you replaced it, with a known good?

If the pump is pumping, and you have good fuel flow to the pump, then it's got to be between the pump and cylinder, which leaves lines and injectors?

That would be my start at any rate.

I'm new to diesels but am dealing with the fuel system and learning fast.  

Your original post says you "bled the system".  Does that mean you cracked the nuts and got fuel to the injectors while cranking the engine?  That's my understanding of bleeding the lines.  If you have done that and it still won't run, I'd say you have a problem well outside my realm of knowledge.

Scotty