Loadstar

1660 Repairs

Again! I sure didn't need this miserable job in the 90 degree heat. We did the same thing back in 2009 and now being 9 years older it is not any more fun. 

The seal between the pto and the engine on the 1660 is leaking oil pretty bad. Up to a litre a day depending on how long the day was. A real mess and fire hazard too so I don't want to go through another harvest like that. We had it all fixed (we thought) in 09 with a new seal, bushing and sleeve in the flywheel. But obviously not. 

This pic is from 2009. Still got a few weeks til harvest. And there is the JD pull type if I get desperate.  I think this will be the last time we do this job. One way or another. 

Combine repair Aug 09.JPG

I hear ya we did that job on the 1440 we had, mine was the bearing in the gearbox it would still drive but not thresh so we pulled it all apart and all new bearings seals and splines on the shaft pricey fix but its still running at it's new home 

Ralph you better just trade that rig in for a new 2188 or 2388 they seem to be really goin down in price lately 

1 hour ago, wheatking said:

Ralph you better just trade that rig in for a new 2188 or 2388 they seem to be really goin down in price lately 

You are probably right but with my luck I'd find a 2188 with more hours than my 1660 and just as worn out (for more money). I've got just under 4000 hours on this one and it needs a bit of work. 

ya my 2388 has just under 4000 hrs as well didn't take to much to make it go this year I out 2 front tires on it they were abit pricey, this heat is a killer Im trying to work on the sprayer and have to take a lot of breaks as I don't function under the heat that well 

4 hours ago, wheatking said:

ya my 2388 has just under 4000 hrs as well didn't take to much to make it go this year I out 2 front tires on it they were abit pricey, this heat is a killer Im trying to work on the sprayer and have to take a lot of breaks as I don't function under the heat that well 

Yes, that heat is a killer and its only going to get worse until Sunday when there is a slight chance of rain. Too late to do much good for crops but might help the pastures. I know I've complained about too much rain the past 7 years or so but this dry stuff is no fun either. 

I'm trying to video the repair this time for future reference. Trying...

10 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Yes, that heat is a killer and its only going to get worst until Sunday when there is a slight chance of rain. Too late to do much good for crops but might help the pastures. I know I've complained about too much rain the past 7 years or so but this dry stuff is no fun either. 

I'm trying to video the repair this time for future reference. Trying...

Used to pull those off fix them quit regularly. It has been a couple years since I fixed one. Used to have to put clutch in dad’s 915 every few years about the same procedure you are doing.

3 hours ago, dale560 said:

Used to pull those off fix them quit regularly. It has been a couple years since I fixed one. Used to have to put clutch in dad’s 915 every few years about the same procedure you are doing.

Maybe if I did the job regularly it would get easier but this is just about too much. I got the hydro off tonight and can't believe my eyes. The spline and hub we replaced back in 09 is showing surprising wear for as few hours as it must have. The original went 20 years and was still not worn out. 

IMG_0890[2].JPG

did you put the new style greasable hub in last time you did this job? 

I had to pull hydro pump off 2188 4 years ago put the shaft and coupler. As usual it was farthest field away and combine stops. 45 miles from shop at the farm. And winter was going to set in I had 30 acres of soybeans left. Dad broke the right angle gears on his 1460 once I put them in up on the combine without pulling the whole box off. Then when 1680s and late 1480s were popular here I would do a couple a year putting rear main seals and such in. Always in customer building to chain stuff to the roof just like you are doing .

33 minutes ago, dale560 said:

I had to pull hydro pump off 2188 4 years ago put the shaft and coupler. As usual it was farthest field away and combine stops. 45 miles from shop at the farm. And winter was going to set in I had 30 acres of soybeans left. Dad broke the right angle gears on his 1460 once I put them in up on the combine without pulling the whole box off. Then when 1680s and late 1480s were popular here I would do a couple a year putting rear main seals and such in. Always in customer building to chain stuff to the roof just like you are doing .

I'm just a little shocked at the wear on this spline and hub after less than 1000 hours and 9 seasons use. That was an expensive fix and I figured it would last the rest of the combine's life or at least as long as I would need it. For as big a job as it is to remove the hydro again I guess I should really get the new shaft and hub put in again. 

And it is not chained to the roof. I don't think the rafters, joists would handle the weight so we put a post in the ground, and the other half of the lift sits on the combine to support an I beam and chain hoist. Its a lot of work, maybe over kill, but I don't want to wreck the rafters too. 

3 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

I'm just a little shocked at the wear on this spline and hub after less than 1000 hours and 9 seasons use. That was an expensive fix and I figured it would last the rest of the combine's life or at least as long as I would need it. For as big a job as it is to remove the hydro again I guess I should really get the new shaft and hub put in again. 

And it is not chained to the roof. I don't think the rafters, joists would handle the weight so we put a post in the ground, and the other half of the lift sits on the combine to support an I beam and chain hoist. Its a lot of work, maybe over kill, but I don't want to wreck the rafters too. 

The rafters will support hydro pump no problem and gear case  is fine just slide a post between a couple rafters.

I did our hydro coupler and shaft last fall. I took it to Regina to get inspected and tested at the same time so I knew what we had to work with. That was a mistake though. Buggers put the snap Ron in backwards and didn't have it seated properly either. Drove it 300 feet to the house to wash off the little oil I spilt while I had it out. Started it back up and it sounded like water running. Looked out and there was already close to anoail of oil on the wash pad.  I grease our hub almost every day or at the very least once a field. Worked good once I got it all done but what a royal pita. Was right at the befening of harvest too. I just used a chain hoist on the grain auger and let the hydro down and back up. Worked good. Didn't have to remove any panels or worry about what to lift it with. 

11 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I did our hydro coupler and shaft last fall. I took it to Regina to get inspected and tested at the same time so I knew what we had to work with. That was a mistake though. Buggers put the snap Ron in backwards and didn't have it seated properly either. Drove it 300 feet to the house to wash off the little oil I spilt while I had it out. Started it back up and it sounded like water running. Looked out and there was already close to anoail of oil on the wash pad.  I grease our hub almost every day or at the very least once a field. Worked good once I got it all done but what a royal pita. Was right at the befening of harvest too. I just used a chain hoist on the grain auger and let the hydro down and back up. Worked good. Didn't have to remove any panels or worry about what to lift it with. 

Man, that was bad luck and  timing for you. Your lift methods sound a lot simpler than mine though. Curious where you took your hydro to be worked on. Provincial Hyd. did mine and it worked out ok, just expensive and did not last as long as I hoped. It was almost 1900 for the work on the hydro. Nearly another 1000 worth of parts from CIh and a couple hundred  to machine the flywheel and install  a new  bushing. 

We got ours done at hydratech in Regina. I was disappointed though. They wouldn't stand behind the work they had done. They offered me a pail of their oil additive for my trouble and that was all they'd do. All the chaos frustration and swear words over a stupid little snap ring. The rest of the work they did was fine but I had to Tear it right out again to fix it. They have a company make up a shaft and coupler for them. Only have 100 hours on it so I can't say if it's any better or not. I have no idea how many hours were on the other one but I doubt it was original. 4700 engine hours when I changed it. Guessing it was done around 2500-3,000 hours but don't know. Cost for the parts and labour was 2,000. 

Just out of curiosity I dug up the old original spline shaft and hub  that was replaced in 2009 at 2900 hours. It is in far better shape than the replacement at 1000 hours. Both splines are worn to the point that I would not put it back together this way. Whats with that? Poor steel in the new parts? One thing I notice is some up and down end play at the spline hub of the pto gearbox. Wonder if that caused the splines to wear out faster? The greaseable hub installed at 2900 hours did not help a bit. There was not much grease at all on the splines either. 

Its pushing 100 degrees here today.

Do you readi sleeves ? To fix shaft wear ? 

36 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

I'm not  sure about the shaft but the flyheel was taken to a machine shop for a sleeve so the new bushing  would fit better. Old one was  loose.  Why the seal started leaking last year I have no idea.  

• Thanks 1

Don't feel bad I've had to replace three hydro input shafts in my 1460 since I've owned it everytime always used new grease-able couplers also its a pain in the A-ss too

34 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Don't feel bad I've had to replace three hydro input shafts in my 1460 since I've owned it everytime always used new grease-able couplers also its a pain in the A-ss too

Well I'm about ready to sell this one for salvage. Working in this heat on something that should never have failed this early is really getting me down. If I can just figure out why this spline  coupling wore out so fast I'd have  a  little more enthusiasm about installing a new  one. 

6 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Poor steel in the new parts?

Betcha you have found the answer.

10 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

We got ours done at hydratech in Regina. I was disappointed though. They wouldn't stand behind the work they had done. They offered me a pail of their oil additive for my trouble and that was all they'd do. All the chaos frustration and swear words over a stupid little snap ring. The rest of the work they did was fine but I had to Tear it right out again to fix it. They have a company make up a shaft and coupler for them. Only have 100 hours on it so I can't say if it's any better or not. I have no idea how many hours were on the other one but I doubt it was original. 4700 engine hours when I changed it. Guessing it was done around 2500-3,000 hours but don't know. Cost for the parts and labour was 2,000. 

I never heard much good about those guys. Actually when the pump went in our old haybine dad called them to see if they could get parts or work on it. I guess the guy tore into dad over the phone because we had split the pump to see what the problem was. He said no one but them should being doing that, and he said something along the lines of not being able to put it back together if we bring it in two pieces. Needless to say it wasn't even worth talking to that guy. Now HySpec, that was a shop that knows their stuff and has no problem with us bringing a pump in that we took apart. I think they're still in business?

1 hour ago, Art From DeLeon said:

Betcha you have found the answer.

X2 

Guaranteed that's the problem

With that much wear that quickly I'd check the run out too just to make sure. 

Theres a good description of it here 

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=111773&posts=8&highlight=hydro&highlightmode=1#M792232

you could check the shaft with a file to see if it was even hardened at all. Really should've longer then that. That's why I wonder if there isn't a underlying issue. 

2 hours ago, db1486 said:

I never heard much good about those guys. Actually when the pump went in our old haybine dad called them to see if they could get parts or work on it. I guess the guy tore into dad over the phone because we had split the pump to see what the problem was. He said no one but them should being doing that, and he said something along the lines of not being able to put it back together if we bring it in two pieces. Needless to say it wasn't even worth talking to that guy. Now HySpec, that was a shop that knows their stuff and has no problem with us bringing a pump in that we took apart. I think they're still in business?

Now that you mention it I have heard similar stories about H Tech. That is probably why I was steered towards Provincial Hydraulics.