Sign in to follow this  
oldtanker

Update on MXM190

Nephew says thanks guys. He got the same advice you guys gave from an AG mechanic. So now the search is on for a MFW tractor. He'd like to move up in HP to 180 or so. Now what I told him is to stay in the 125 HP range and buy an older 4X4 for his tillage work. That is find another tractor in the 125 HP range with MFW and a loader to do the light work and feed livestock. Then with close to 1000 acres and his dad (my BIL) turning over to him he wouldn't have to worry about running 2 tractors to get the field work done. His dad isn't always going to be available to operate a tractor. So he's in a situation where he needs a tractor that will get the work done and also has to have a daily driver to feed with.

Anyways thanks guys.

Rick

Anyone of the 7110-8950 if they have had dual PTO added . Maybe cheaper to get a big one and add the dual PTO till all said and done

Just curious what he has now?  20K of engine work seems really high.

I have a CIH MX170 with a loader on it and it is a very versatile tractor.  Nicer to drive and handier but not as durable as a boxcar Magnum.  145 pto hp.

• Like 1

The one with the bad engine (spun bearing) I think is a 5150. Has right at 10K hours on it. Or the Euro equivalent model. CaseIH near us quoted him between 15 and 20K depending on what else they may find as they dig into it. Bank is figuring about 20K I'm sure adding clutch work and such. He's really at the point what he needs another larger tractor. The big tractor right now is a CaseIH 2594. Been a dad/son operation but my BIL is trying to ease out of it. Nephews oldest kid is 6. So no help there. He's at a point that if dad gets sick, decides to go on vacation, decides to get his knees fixed that my nephew just doesn't have the manpower to get things done in a timely manner. So with cows to milk, young stock and beef to feed plus close to 1000 acres to farm he really needs a bigger tractor for tillage and something about the size of the 5150 for chores and lite work.

Rick 

A 5150 is a North American 5250. That has a CDC 5.9 in that’s basically a twin to the ubiquitous Cummins 5.9. No way should it cost 20 grand to get it going. He needs another opinion. 

41 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

A 5150 is a North American 5250. That has a CDC 5.9 in that’s basically a twin to the ubiquitous Cummins 5.9. No way should it cost 20 grand to get it going. He needs another opinion. 

That's kinda what I thought but I'm going by what both my BIL and nephew are saying. And I don't know, they may be getting a quote with the dealer figuring with a spun bearing that it's gonna cost a crank shaft instead of machining.

If it is at that 20K mark (and I'm not doubting that's what Titan quoted them) then the bank is going to be reluctant to loan that much money on a tractor that's only worth 25K or so. 

Rick

1 hour ago, Gearclash said:

Dealer shops aren’t cheap.

Rick, was up to fergus this morning.  He needs that Steiger on the south side of 94 along #59?? And a feeder tractor.    There is not enough time in the day to do that amount of work by yourself and rely on one tractor.  

Nate

1 hour ago, nate said:

Rick, was up to fergus this morning.  He needs that Steiger on the south side of 94 along #59?? And a feeder tractor.    There is not enough time in the day to do that amount of work by yourself and rely on one tractor.  

Nate

Thanks Nate, that's what I've been telling him. He's OK as long as dad is there to help out but my BIL's health isn't great. His knees are shot, bad arthritis in his hands, may have yet to be diagnosed heart condition too from what the nephew says. So he is far from being 100% reliable. Ole hard head won't see a doctor either.

Where at on 59? We seldom get south of town there. I'm over by Battle Lake so I get to Fergus and Fargo, sometimes Brainerd and St Cloud pretty often.

Rick

7 hours ago, oldtanker said:

The one with the bad engine (spun bearing) I think is a 5150. Has right at 10K hours on it. Or the Euro equivalent model. CaseIH near us quoted him between 15 and 20K depending on what else they may find as they dig into it. Bank is figuring about 20K I'm sure adding clutch work and such. He's really at the point what he needs another larger tractor. The big tractor right now is a CaseIH 2594. Been a dad/son operation but my BIL is trying to ease out of it. Nephews oldest kid is 6. So no help there. He's at a point that if dad gets sick, decides to go on vacation, decides to get his knees fixed that my nephew just doesn't have the manpower to get things done in a timely manner. So with cows to milk, young stock and beef to feed plus close to 1000 acres to farm he really needs a bigger tractor for tillage and something about the size of the 5150 for chores and lite work.

Rick 

I just bought a new now reman 8.3 long block for 6175 case is screwing you

1 hour ago, oldtanker said:

Thanks Nate, that's what I've been telling him. He's OK as long as dad is there to help out but my BIL's health isn't great. His knees are shot, bad arthritis in his hands, may have yet to be diagnosed heart condition too from what the nephew says. So he is far from being 100% reliable. Ole hard head won't see a doctor either.

Where at on 59? We seldom get south of town there. I'm over by Battle Lake so I get to Fergus and Fargo, sometimes Brainerd and St Cloud pretty often.

Rick

Southwest corner right next to 94.   They had a whole line of red lined up outside and a case ih Steiger with triples out closer to the road.   Not sure if it was for sale or just someone's fleet of big iron.  

I delivered lumber for a house on the golf course at pebble lakes. 

37 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

8.3 from Case IH will cost you  around 14,000  for just the long block by time they get the core charges added on. No one gets full core credit. 6175 is a heck of a deal.

2 hours ago, Thesd5488 said:

Then they would still have to pay someone to install it. And labor is a killer. Hate to say it but my BIL ain't much of a mechanic. Consequently he had no real skills to pass onto his kids. Because of this he also lacks the tools and equipment to do it. I had surgery on my neck and I'm on a 20 LBS lifting restriction so I'm of no help.

2 hours ago, nate said:

Southwest corner right next to 94.   They had a whole line of red lined up outside and a case ih Steiger with triples out closer to the road.   Not sure if it was for sale or just someone's fleet of big iron.  

I delivered lumber for a house on the golf course at pebble lakes. 

OK, thanks, I'm going to Fergus in the morning. I'll take a look and see what's up.

Rick

$15 to 20k is actually a pretty good deal in a dealership these days. 

One mechanic, putting in 8 hrs a day is going to cost you over a $1000 a day just in labor. Replacing the engine in a MFWD tractor like that is a little more involved than a 1066. Probably a day to tear apart, a little more than that to go back together. I doubt your going to touch a remain 5.9 for under $12k at a dealer, and that engine won't be a plug and play, you have to figure a day of swapping components and getting it dressed to go back together. Add another day for testing/adjusting and mopping up the little details. Figure most of a week in a dealer shop at the grand a day, 5 to 10% shop supply/enviro fees, any shipping fees to get the remain engine.....

Then, don't forget your dealing with a 30 yr old, 10,000 hr dairy tractor. I always throw an extra 15-20% on the estimate to deal with rust, broken bolts, broken misc when dealing with old equipment like this. 

4 hours ago, Cattech said:

One mechanic, putting in 8 hrs a day is going to cost you over a $1000 a day just in labor. Replacing the engine in a MFWD tractor like that is a little more involved than a 1066. Probably a day to tear apart, a little more than that to go back together. I doubt your going to touch a remain 5.9 for under $12k at a dealer, and that engine won't be a plug and play, you have to figure a day of swapping components and getting it dressed to go back together. Add another day for testing/adjusting and mopping up the little details. Figure most of a week in a dealer shop at the grand a day, 5 to 10% shop supply/enviro fees, any shipping fees to get the remain engine.....

Then, don't forget your dealing with a 30 yr old, 10,000 hr dairy tractor. I always throw an extra 15-20% on the estimate to deal with rust, broken bolts, broken misc when dealing with old equipment like this. 

Yea the last time I knew anything about it it was somewhere in the 10-12K range here and that was a few years back, at least 14-15 years ago.

Rick

4 hours ago, Cattech said:

My concrete buddy just swapped c15s in a kenworth t 800. He paid 10,000 for a good 6nz with 200,000 on rebuild. By time he swapped out brake saver. And put all new stuff oil pump, water pump turbo front and rear main, a good new big clutch. Swapped injectors and top casting he had about another 10,000 worth of parts and labor doing it in his shop. Everyone forgets about little stuff that adds up fast. I put a 8.3 reman from Case IH in our 7130 last year it was around 16,000 by time I put fan clutch, turbo and manifold and paid core fees. Clutch plate and coupler shaft also it all adds up I did all the labor myself.

11 hours ago, dale560 said:

8.3 from Case IH will cost you  around 14,000  for just the long block by time they get the core charges added on. No one gets full core credit. 6175 is a heck of a deal.

R f engines I buy a lot from them had good luck with them

10 hours ago, Thesd5488 said:

What would they charge for the same thing?

41 minutes ago, dumbfarmer said:

What would they charge for the same thing?

3700 rebuilt 4500 new

2 hours ago, Thesd5488 said:

3700 rebuilt 4500 new

Holy crap ya I found their website but wasn’t sure what one was the same as like  what is in my mx200

10 hours ago, dumbfarmer said:

Holy crap ya I found their website but wasn’t sure what one was the same as like  what is in my mx200

Call them they are very helpful it just goes to show how bad the dealers are screwing people I started buying lots of engine parts from them when reliance went to pot they said they won’t sell reliance unless you request it and they try to talk you out of it 

23 hours ago, Thesd5488 said:

Core is 750 here get it back no matter what best part if you take yours apart and then decide to get a new one they tell you don’t put it together send it as pieces they gotta take it apart anyway said it saves time if you took it apart for them if crank is broke hole in block you still get full credit

It does look like RF has some good pricing and I have no doubt they strive to deliver a quality product. But saying the dealers are screwing people over is a little harsh.

Yes it's more expensive at a dealer, but the dealer does have to back up their product more vigorously than an aftermarket supplier. There has to be a much larger overhead and inventory in parts/service to support the various products they sell. And when something is repaired, a dealer has to use the OEM parts and be able to say it's exactly as good or better than the original product. Long story short, a dealership has to deliver on a whole different level, they don't do this to screw their customers, they do it to support them.

Back to the topic at hand, the tractor with the spun bearing. What kind of shape is the rest of the machine in? Is it tight and clean, or has the first 10,000 hrs as a loader tractor on a dairy farm taken its toll? This would be my primary decision factor in what to do. A new engine, whether done at the dealer, or finding someone else to put in aftermarket parts, would be the piece of mind in knowing what you have. They could scrap the tractor, drop $30-40k on a different used tractor, and be back where they are now in a yr. But I also wouldn't drop $20k into a tractor with a blown out front end, a clunked out trans, or a swiss cheese cab.

It's a shame the dairy market is where it's at. It would be hard to cash flow a leased tractor with current conditions. A dairy without a reliable tractor is in a precarious position, you can't park the cows in the corner of the shed and wait for a sunny day to feed them. Whatever they do, that has to be taken into account, the repaired or replaced tractor needs to be something they are confident will run every day. And once whatever they decide to do is paid for, they need to continue to pay the equipment, so there will be funds available when the inevitable happens again.

On 8/11/2018 at 1:11 PM, Cattech said:

It does look like RF has some good pricing and I have no doubt they strive to deliver a quality product. But saying the dealers are screwing people over is a little harsh.

Yes it's more expensive at a dealer, but the dealer does have to back up their product more vigorously than an aftermarket supplier. There has to be a much larger overhead and inventory in parts/service to support the various products they sell. And when something is repaired, a dealer has to use the OEM parts and be able to say it's exactly as good or better than the original product. Long story short, a dealership has to deliver on a whole different level, they don't do this to screw their customers, they do it to support them.

Back to the topic at hand, the tractor with the spun bearing. What kind of shape is the rest of the machine in? Is it tight and clean, or has the first 10,000 hrs as a loader tractor on a dairy farm taken its toll? This would be my primary decision factor in what to do. A new engine, whether done at the dealer, or finding someone else to put in aftermarket parts, would be the piece of mind in knowing what you have. They could scrap the tractor, drop $30-40k on a different used tractor, and be back where they are now in a yr. But I also wouldn't drop $20k into a tractor with a blown out front end, a clunked out trans, or a swiss cheese cab.

It's a shame the dairy market is where it's at. It would be hard to cash flow a leased tractor with current conditions. A dairy without a reliable tractor is in a precarious position, you can't park the cows in the corner of the shed and wait for a sunny day to feed them. Whatever they do, that has to be taken into account, the repaired or replaced tractor needs to be something they are confident will run every day. And once whatever they decide to do is paid for, they need to continue to pay the equipment, so there will be funds available when the inevitable happens again.

The 5150 has about 10K of hard hours on it. The nephew is worried that if he spends the money on the engine in 6 months + or - the tranny will puke. There is a front  end problem with it too that I just found out about yesterday. Cab is decent but the AC don't work. Body panels are pretty beat up (BIL, he's terrible, I think he has a depth perception problem).

Rick