enigne swap

Gentlemen,  I need someone smarter than me to tell me if I can put a dt466 in a 886 tractor.  will it match up???  I currently have a 358 aaaannnnd A-shes not big enough and B-it will be cheaper I think to get more power

Tractor frame's essentially the same from the bell housing forward for the first 766 through the last 1586, so yeah, a Dt466 will fit with the right parts. Any tractor with a 414 or 436 in it already will have those parts, so anything with a 9, 10, 14, or 15 in front of the 66 or 86 will have the parts you need, and are very common.

If you were using it to farm, you'd tear up the 886 rear end pretty quick with a 466. 

Frame channels , radiator ,and steering lines are unique to the nuess powered tractors otherwise the the engines out of a bigger 66- 86 tractor will fit with out many extras the 436  may be a much better choice as  the 466 was not used in any ag applications where you would not have to buy either a front cover or rear cover ,oil pan ,and sump except an engine out of a 3488 and there the flywheel is not normally machined for a pilot bearing.

Is the 358 broken?  If not, why don't you just buy you a bigger tractor?

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:03 AM, rsscott said:

Is the 358 broken?  If not, why don't you just buy you a bigger tractor?

no its not broken, works extremely well.  it is just not turboed and I want to make more power for pulling

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:05 PM, Matt Kirsch said:

Tractor frame's essentially the same from the bell housing forward for the first 766 through the last 1586, so yeah, a Dt466 will fit with the right parts. Any tractor with a 414 or 436 in it already will have those parts, so anything with a 9, 10, 14, or 15 in front of the 66 or 86 will have the parts you need, and are very common.

If you were using it to farm, you'd tear up the 886 rear end pretty quick with a 466. 

no its not for farming, although I have kept all the parts to turn it back into a farm tractor.  I want a hot stock pulling tractor

• 3 months later...
On 8/8/2018 at 1:24 PM, R190 said:

Frame channels , radiator ,and steering lines are unique to the nuess powered tractors otherwise the the engines out of a bigger 66- 86 tractor will fit with out many extras the 436  may be a much better choice as  the 466 was not used in any ag applications where you would not have to buy either a front cover or rear cover ,oil pan ,and sump except an engine out of a 3488 and there the flywheel is not normally machined for a pilot bearing.

The front and rear covers flywheels and tractor oil pans on 414 436 and 466 all interchange the 52 and 5488 uses 466 also 

4 hours ago, 88power said:

Got a cih reman 466 in a 5088 with a muffler delete a stock 5288 cih reman pump set at 17 degrees and the stock 5088 turbo on the Dyno turns 200 and that's not trying 

What was the price for a reman 466 from cih if you don't mind me asking?

3 hours ago, MarkG said:

What was the price for a reman 466 from cih if you don't mind me asking?

I'm wanting to say it was around 6000 it's been a few months ago they have gone up since the last time we bought one but that's been a few years ago. Are dealer said it was getting harder to find them but we got ares pretty quick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sanctioned pulling, just a few County Fair pulls and tractor rides.  DT 467 is going in  IH 666. Will have 11" triple clutch, TA delete, a gear slower than fourth, a gear faster than fourth and needle bearing in diff.  Initially would like to utilize the original turbo with either a 11 mm or 13 mm head in pump. What can I expect from this configuration?  What will break?

I'd be looking at a steel flywheel if you don't already have one I can't remember right off the top of my head if a stock fly wheel will work in that set up and I would tighen up my steering and front end for driving down the road 

Stock flywheel will not work.  It's 14" and there is only room for an 11" clutch, hence the triple disk 11".  The flywheel and pressure plate are steel to withstand the HP and RPM.  Front end has been tightened with new components and the toe-in has been set.  The 5288 engine will require considerable modification, i.e. the turbo will need to be in a position similar to the 66 and 86 turbo engines.  The fuel filter assembly will need to be lowered similar to 66 and 86 engines.  This is not just a simple bolt in project!!   

Since you got to change manifold I'd go ahead and change we have always used 3lm but if you look up the post about 5488 turbos everyone over there says s2e is the way to go I gotta get one for the 52 I think I may try one never have before