966 Haying Tractor???

9 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

well glad u got a tractor............neighbor has an 1105 it has the same perkins in it as my buddies 2-105 white pretty easy on fuel and good power - how you getting along with your massey 

I really like the 1105.  Mine has a cab and just over 4800 original hours.  It handles the Krone mower conditioner like a dream.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now you're just talking nonsense...

A 966 will run circles around a 4020

And look better doing it lol

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, leeave96 said:

I really like the 1105.  Mine has a cab and just over 4800 original hours.  It handles the Krone mower conditioner like a dream.

I like the perkins it seems like a good motor - much easier on fuel than my 5088 

11 minutes ago, leeave96 said:

Glad to hear it's working out for you. I know next to nothing about Massey tractors but evidently they are pretty good tractors too. 

Always thought the 1085 and 1105 were pretty cool looking tractors. Unfortunately around where I grew up Massey stood for Fix Or Repair Daily. If you wanted to hang out at the dealer and shoot the breeze you owned Massey tractors. If you wanted to get work done you owned anything else. So, if I added one to the collection I'm not sure if I wouldn't be written out of the will...

There is a classic Massey auction coming up Friday in Batavia NY. Newest thing he had is a 2745, one of those ugly brutes that's all hood. Four 1135's, and an 1105, plus a bunch of Massey combines.

if you ever need a 3rd hydraulic valve as my neighbor did on his 1135 to run his Hesston StakHand it is really simple to do. Just "T"  into the 3 point cylinder pressure hose and operate the 3rd valve with the 3 point handle. When you let the 3 point down the header went down and when you raised it the header came up. Cheapest 3rd valve attachment i ever put on 

6 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Unfortunately around where I grew up Massey stood for Fix Or Repair Daily. If you wanted to hang out at the dealer and shoot the breeze you owned Massey tractors. If you wanted to get work done you owned anything else. So, if I added one to the collection I'm not sure if I wouldn't be written out of the will...

I know the 2000 series that replaced the 11x5 MF tractors had major issues and even after the upgrades, they had a reputation...

From what little reading I’ve done on the 3000 series, I gather they were pretty good tractors.

I think you can look at a point in time at most any make tractor and find fix or replace daily.  IH certainly had their share of issues with the 06 series tractors, engine cavitation and for me personally, a really lousy design for a C291 gas engine IMHO.

When looking at IH tractors (and I still like them and think they are a great bang for the buck), most all of the ones I considered appeared wore out from the previous owner to the guy selling.  I just never stumbled on one I could live with, one that didn’t need dropped off for major repairs on the way home.  I expanded my search to include JD and MF 1100, 1130, 1105 and 1135 tractors.  I would have bought a JD, IH or MF given my timeline to purchase - if condition and reasonable price were good.  The MF 1105 came up for sale and I jumped on it - after doing a lot of reading and asking questions about these series tractors.  I’d like to find a decent open station 1105 one of these days, but for now, I’ll tinker with the IH 756 gasser.

1 hour ago, hagan said:

if you ever need a 3rd hydraulic valve as my neighbor did on his 1135 to run his Hesston StakHand it is really simple to do. Just "T"  into the 3 point cylinder pressure hose and operate the 3rd valve with the 3 point handle. When you let the 3 point down the header went down and when you raised it the header came up. Cheapest 3rd valve attachment i ever put on 

I seem to recall reading this somewhere.  We’re just haying, so I don’t know if I’ll ever need the hydraulics capacities, but I’m to understand the 11x5 and 11x0 tractors had excellent closed center hydraulics.  Thanks!

354 Perkins was a great engine in my opinion.I owned a 1135 and a 3545 ,both had cabs.3545 was a good tractor,had a great cab nice controls,gear driven, multi power.Had hyd issues though as I don't think is unusual for  old Massys.Also had a electronic eye  sensor in 3pt which was a problem.1135 cab was not as nice.Had 285 but would never own another one of them ,to much head gasket problems.I would definitely buy a Massey with a 354 in it again if given the opportunity.