966 Haying Tractor???

In my never ending consideration/quest for an alternate to rebuilding the gas engine on my 756, I'm reading about the 966 tractors.  Nebraska puts them at 100 hp (earlier/lower RPM models less).  9 ft Discbine duty and bring (hopefully) loaded square bale kicker wagons down hills from higher elevation flat fields to our barns without being pushed - I'm ready to die, but not over a square bale of hay...  So weight is important too.  Cat 2 hitch (we will never use a Cat 3), wet sleeved engines for easier/lower cost rebuilds and part availability are a consideration.  For a 66 series, we'd go open station and I like the shifter arrangement - same as my 756.  Just reading the specs and the afore mentioned, I think a 966 might deliver the mail.

However...

I've read a ton of posts from various forums and get the impression the 966 is a dog.  Pass for a 1066 or a 766 is a better tractor.  I don't think I want the Cat 3 1066 hitch, we'd probably never use the available hp and have wet stacking issues.  The weight - would be great.  The 766 - I don't know.  I like the tractor, but I can't imagine for PTO power (read discbine) it could or would out perform the 966???

So while I'm deciding what to do for a 2019 haying tractor (and I'm looking at EVERYTHING), what is your experience with a 966?  Is it the perfect discbine tractor and down hill hauling loaded kicker wagon tractor?

BTW - we have a rock guard/shield design we would build to keep rocks from hitting the operator when running the open station 966.  I know that is a concern of many.

Any sage experience and/or advice is most welcome.

Thanks!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now you're just talking nonsense...

A 966 will run circles around a 4020

And look better doing it lol

Posted Images

Why would you have trouble with wet stacking in a 1066 over a 966? Same engine only turbo i believe? Guessing you could change out the ends on 3 point arms to cat 2 or use bushings. For same money or nearly 1066 is more bang for the buck is why folks say to pass and go to a 10. And to each their own but my next tractor for hay making will have a cab and ac if at all possible. 

I currently run a tired tubo'd 826 on a new holland 411 discbine , 24 t baler pulling 7×14 racks or a 510 round baler. 300lbs of rear wheel weights and no fluid and on steep hills with rack full or big baler nearly full you can slide the wheels sometimes if you need to stop fast.

In our area there are way more 10's than 9's i think a turbo on any motor just make them carry better (maintain their rpm's under load) the frame size would be the same so they should handle the same.To me there is no comparision in how they run and here a lot of them have been put to light chore type work no one seems to complain about wet stacking and the 10's won't cost any more and will probably be cheaper than the 9's you can buy the 2 to 3 converter bushings for the 3pt while not ideal everybody around here does that .I'd go for the 1066

I run a Kuhn GMD 700hd on our 966 with no issues and have pulled the 535 baler at times when the 1086 was down. We mostly use it for stacking hay and cutting i dont think you will have a issue with the discbine although if your in steep hills you can tell a big difference between my 1086 and 966  and long as you have wheel weights and also a rack on  the front it will handle the hay wagon also.

That is my opinion some may say other wise.. 

Your putting to much thought into this! If your 756 is doin it now! A 966 is gonna do better! Thier good tractors as long as they been maintained like anything! If you do buy a 10 that cat 3 doesnt mean nothin! If your just baling hay! Not like your paying more for the tractor that is that old if it had a 2 or 3! A 9 will be cheaper than a 10 everybody wants a 10! That why i have two 9s and one 10! Would like to buy another 9 if in can scrap up the money!

I have a 1086 1066 and 966. I run a 10-1/2 ft 1412 new holland flail conditioner with all 3 tractors other then no turbo on the 966 all 3 are 414 engine . The 966 seems to run the discbine just as well as the 2 10s and it'll run it fine going High 2nd direct drive.  Even pull a new holland 575 with kicker wagon behind it when the 1086 has issues. In my opinion the 966 is a great tractor I've never had too many issues with it in 20 yrs unlike my 1086. 

I use my 966 to pull a NH BR7090 in the hay field in some moderate hills. My "9" handles it with no problem. If you get a chance at one grab it, I believe you won't be dissapointed.

Bottom line is both tractors would be fine for what your doing i believe. Just comes down to what is easier to find in your area. If you found a 9 and a 10 in same cond for same or nearly same price the 10 imo would still be more bang for the buck. If you can find a nice 9 in good cond for right price nothing wrong with that either.

8 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Bottom line is both tractors would be fine for what your doing i believe. Just comes down to what is easier to find in your area. If you found a 9 and a 10 in same cond for same or nearly same price the 10 imo would still be more bang for the buck. If you can find a nice 9 in good cond for right price nothing wrong with that either.

Yes exactly. Well put Iowaboy 👍

What they said. Condition and price are bigger factors here.  The ten is more capable, but if you don't need that capacity it doesn't matter anyway.   The turbo will hold rpm easier while working though, without applying more throttle/making more noise. 1066 will run your stuff easily, at any rpm without feeling lugged down. 

You'll have no "wet stack" issue with a 1066 though.  We have 4, and they don't get ran hard. 

Skip the 66 series and go to an 86 series, you will get a good cab that's cool ,clean and quiet for the same money you can buy a 66 for that's dusty ,noisey and hot unless its an open station.

• Like 1

986 or a 1086 would be perfect for what you are asking.   Cab with AC is nice for making hay.   If you keep an eye open you can pick one up pretty reasonably.  

5 hours ago, stronger800 said:

What they said. Condition and price are bigger factors here.  The ten is more capable, but if you don't need that capacity it doesn't matter anyway.   The turbo will hold rpm easier while working though, without applying more throttle/making more noise. 1066 will run your stuff easily, at any rpm without feeling lugged down. 

You'll have no "wet stack" issue with a 1066 though.  We have 4, and they don't get ran hard. 

Stronger  where abouts in NY are you?  Some tractors around me can be a bit rough and overpriced. 

5 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Now you're just talking nonsense...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The usual "skip the 66 series" advice is all well and good, but with an 86 series you've got two choices:

1. Spend a lot of money to get a good one so you don't have to mess with all the problem areas such as shifters and AC, and still find out it has problems.

2. Buy a cheap tractor and spend a lot of time and money fixing all the problem areas such as the hydraulic clutch, wiring, and rusted out cab.

Alternatively you can spend about what you spent on the cheap 86 series and get yourself a nice field ready open station 66 series.

I'm +1-ing on the overthinking. There's nothing wrong with a 966, especially considering you're stepping up from the 756. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

And look better doing it lol

• Like 3

A 966 is a good all around problem free tractor and It's decent on fuel. If I could find a decent one around me for a good price I'd buy another right now.  I'd quit farming before I'd ever buy a JD haha 

leeave I cut hay with a 886 German diesel and a 8 foot impeller discbine.In heavy hay tractor doesn't know it's pulling it.Set of front weights really helps on hills.

Paul

Resized952018061495094036.jpg

20180511_170145.jpg

I had a few 9s and more then  few 10's ,i still have 2 10's and no 9's.I liked the 9s,only difference in  between  2  that I seen was power and fuel usage.But fuel usage is to be expected some what with more HP. Same frame size  so turning radius is the same depending on tire size.Weight can be added to equal both.I just like the way the turbo seem to smooth out the engine,a good 10 will sit there with a muffler on , idle quiet  and purr like a kitten. I got hills that are steeper then most peoples house or barn roofs.It is always nice to have that extra throttle to open up when you have to turn up the hill because you cant turn down.9s are fine. I would just for the money own a 10.But a 4020?,not in the same league with either tractor. Less hp,no guts and you gotta run them wide open to get 540 rpms. So as you pull her down there is no throttle to open up,so your downshifting if you can,with a syncro good luck with doing that on a hill with out stopping.Plus if it is a powershift your talking at most 80 drawbar REAL HP. Your 756 will out pull it.

10 hours ago, leeave96 said:

All things being equal - given the age of these tractors, isn’t it more likely a 1066 would have had the guts pulled out of them vs a 966?

A clean 9 or 10 is what you want. Bear in mind that most of the 1066 in this area have had the guts worked out of them and had their power turned up to around 160 PTO. Lots of them had the ring and pinion gears upgraded to the 1466 spec and the inner axle bearings changed to the uprated bearings. I had one like that and we detuned it back to 130 PTO where it should be. The 966 was rarely owned by BTOs and rarely had the guts worked out of it and as such your chances of finding a clean 966 are much, much better than finding a 1066 or even worse a 1466. I still have  a 2800 hour black stripe open station 966 that has never been abused and it does what I need of it. The only real big improvement I made to it lately is I purchased a Steiner old mans step for the left side to make it easier to get up and down on it. BTW find a 966 with the 18.4-38 rear tires and 10.00 -16 front tires for a bit more traction. That is what mine are. A 966 has more torque rise than a1066 so the bottom line grunt isn't much different. However the 1066 can do the same work faster. A good clean one of either size should serve you well.    

• Like 1