Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

red tractor fever

Marshalltown Iowa Power Show

Started digging things out yesterday. The Heiders were first. The two Jet Co wagons were at the in laws so they were retrieved next. Then the Calhoun wagon came out into the light. It dates back to the 1950's if memory serves me correctly. And I put the finishing touches, for now, on the 756 gas. This morning I went outside at 5:30 and cranked up the power washer. My buddy showed up around 8:30 to help drive stuff over. The one that helped with the makeover. Couldn't believe it was the same tractor. A good bath did wonders for it.

We drove some over in the am. And hauled a load over in the pm. Met fellow forums member DTfan. Nice guy. Didn't get to visit much as he had to go to work. Maybe we can get acquainted tomorrow sometime. And yes the trio of 756's are there. Didn't get pictures today but will tomorrow. There should be time then. My wife snapped a couple pictures before we left this morning. 

More pictures coming in the next few days.

0801180956.jpg

0801181107.jpg

0801181223.jpg

Resized_20171203_115151.jpeg

20180802_073703.jpg

20180802_073736.jpg

Was good to meet you too. Should have more time to talk through the weekend. 

Looks good. Dad had 2 calhoun silage wagons when i was growing  up. Didnt know or recall where they were made. 

Hoping to make it to show saturday but not sure yet.

nice equipment.

I have a Calhoun self unloading wagon that I bought for the running gear. Good source of parts if anyone had a need to restore one.

1 hour ago, ny bill o said:

nice equipment.

I have a Calhoun self unloading wagon that I bought for the running gear. Good source of parts if anyone had a need to restore one.

Iirrc running gears under dads were a lil light. Not sure if dad bought em new or slightly used. Maybe heavier was available? Anyway one of em rolled onto its side on a hill one time full of silage. What a mess. We saved the box but ended up putting a heavier 6wheel running gear under it but dont recall what brand....

Pictures as promised. These pictures are of our stuff. Planning on taking more general show photos in the next couple days. 

And something really neat happened. We brought our 2 life size Jet Co wagons. Another guy brought his miniature Jet Co wagon. It was actually built by Jet Co. This guy rescued it from a burn pile. Literally while it was burning. And the story he told was this. The dad of the guys that threw it in the burn pile bought four new Jet Co wagons. He got this mini wagon free as a thank you gift. 

I of course did ask to buy it. He wasn't interested in selling and I understand that. My stuff isn't for sale either. I just politely asked if he ever changed his mind, I'd like to be the first to know. I did tease him about it but was all in fun. He admitted if he ever did sell it, it needed to go to a guy with life size ones to be displayed together. I suggested it go through the parade behind my two. I made a drop hitch tonight just in case he agrees. 

20180803_095336.jpg

20180803_095247.jpg

20180803_095359.jpg

20180803_095516.jpg

20180803_095545.jpg

20180803_095623.jpg

20180803_095647.jpg

20180803_114809.jpg

20180803_141625.jpg

20180803_141638.jpg

21 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Looks good. Dad had 2 calhoun silage wagons when i was growing  up. Didnt know or recall where they were made. 

Calhoun actually had several manufacturing plants. Found a 5 bolt running gear on Craigslist the other day. I think the stickers said Bethany, Missouri. I found two Calhoun silage wagons the other day to. And a Calhoun gravity box as well on a green gear. He'd sell the box cheap. But then I'd need two gears. 😝 And I'm a barge wagon kinda guy.

11 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Iirrc running gears under dads were a lil light

That might explain why mine is on a newer Bradford gear. Maybe the gear gave out. I found a Calhoun 6 bolt running gear up in Minnesota. It was actually built in Cedar Falls, Iowa. So it would've been perfect under my box. I think the rims belong with the box so I could've used them. But when I inquired he couldn't find so he assumed he'd sold it. 

I seem to recall the running gears were white and wheels too....? I know dad at one time tried to use take off tires from our chrysler newyorker so must have been 15"..

21 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Here's the link to the Calhoun silage wagons. And the other is the gravity box on a green gear. Kinda hijacking my own thread but that's ok.

https://sheboygan.craigslist.org/grd/d/chopper-boxes-2-14-calhoun/6636804306.html

https://masoncity.craigslist.org/grd/d/gravity-wagons/6625750544.html

4 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I seem to recall the running gears were white and wheels too....? I know dad at one time tried to use take off tires from our chrysler newyorker so must have been 15"..

The few I've seen are the olive green like the ones on Craigslist with silage boxes. And my rims are 15" to. The color of the rims match the bottom of the box on mine. Interesting the differences.

Hmmm its been a lotta years maybe it was only the wheels that were white....something under neath was....

I didnt know calhoun made that many diff things thanks for that and sorry for helping you hijaxk your own thread lol.

One more thing. I recall being able to reverse the feed and run stuff out front or back. Those sure look a lot like ours did. Olive and white...

2 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Hmmm its been a lotta years maybe it was only the wheels that were white....something under neath was....

I didnt know calhoun made that many diff things thanks for that and sorry for helping you hijaxk your own thread lol.

I didn't know they made that much stuff as well. The box just intrigued me being a barge wagon nut. It's fine the way it is. I'll just be on the lookout for one. Maybe one will find me. Stuff like that happens. 

And no need to apologize. Just kinda comical I hijacked my own. Interesting conversation so it's all good. If you make it tomorrow we'll be around. Most of the time right south of the Jet Co wagons under our canopy. I'm planning one wearing a t-shirt with my Heider wagons on it in case you see us out and about.

Quite a bit of Orange paint there. Theirs a miniature pull type combine and a miniature roto baler that are must sees it you come. Took the guy two years to build them I think I heard today. The detail is UNBELIEVABLE. Will try and get some pictures tomorrow when we look around more.

Beautiful weather for the show. Anyone in central Iowa should stop in. Here are a few pics I took.

My 666 and 544 ready to pull the people movers.

20180803_110549.jpg

My tractors at daybreak. Beautiful weather.  Come on over to Marshalltown! 

20180804_082848_001.jpg

Looks like a good one.  BK

Got there early and wandered around. Was hoping to run into you and Aaron but missed you both. Think i saw Aaron carting folks around on a wagon? 

Had hay down that didnt dry enough to bale friday and wife needed help moving furniture so she could do sum painting so i didnt stay long. Did see the mini combine and baler tho. That guy did a great job!

20180804_080058.jpg

20180804_080049.jpg

20180804_080045.jpg

20180804_080030.jpg

20180804_080022.jpg

Waylon and I lined up for the parade of power with our "wagon train". There are 6 full size and one scale size in the line.

20180804_153443_001.jpg

We should not be allowed to have this much fun!

20180804_154155_001.jpg

Got to drive by last night but no chance of stopping(working). Looked like a nice variety of equipment there already. Maybe someday...😭

We had two calhoun forage boxes yrs ago one was wood sided the other metal tall sided like chuck wagon style they had a apron chain similar to a manure spreader and we'd either unload in an upright silo blower using the side discharge chute or pull them thru a bunker silo and unload out the back very nice wagons we'd pull them hitched to the field cutter to load 

4 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

We should not be allowed to have this much fun!

20180804_154155_001.jpg

It probably shouldn't be allowed but I'm sure glad it was. We had more fun in those few minutes than I've had in a very long time. I was laughing the whole time. 

My wife is the photographer around here. And here's what she took. And just for the record, the guy that owns the miniature Jet Co wagon said yes. So my drop hitch was needed and was a success. It was a very simple design but very effective.

When your in the parade the announcer tells who you are, what your driving, and something about your stuff. He read the card, it said three wagons. But he only saw two till my buddy that drove got by. 

Another friend that was a spectator for the parade was laughing his rear end off at our little stunt. 

And I was glad we weren't out on the road. My buddy isn't licenced to pull triples.😃

My wife got a new pet today. He's gonna be very expensive to take care of!

20180804_154613.jpg

20180804_154641.jpg

20180804_154715.jpg

20180804_154733.jpg

20180804_154739.jpg

20180804_154758.jpg

20180804_154830.jpg

20180804_154842.jpg

20180804_164723.jpg