8 hours ago, Pbach said:

I am afraid if I had a truck and trailer like yours I would have several more projects haha - that is quite the collection. This might be a dumb question but how did you get those crawlers on/off your trailer? (Unless they could be driven?). My Crawler is also a farm cat (I even found a 70 year old corn stalk in the belly shield when I took it off) it has relatively low hours and undercarriage in above average condition. Still searching for a blade - several jobs are waiting on it out at our farm... Glad my posts/pics helped you!

Hi Pete - BTW I was really impressed with the electrolysis results you achieved.  I've been thinking about doing it for derusting some of the miscellaneous parts I'm working with, and your pics convinced me.   I have a plastic stock tank I'm going to set up.  I have a 4 cylinder inboard engine out of a boat that's all rusted shut so am going to try dipping the whole shooting match in there to see how effectively it works.  Lots of other applications for electrolysis around here too.  Too much old equipment, trucks, and boats.

As far as loading and unloading...  Thankfully I was able to drive the Drott machine onto the trailer.  It weighs around 13,500# per the book so I have no other method of effectively moving it around.  The other two machines were loaded by the guy I got them from.  He used a large mini-ex (oxymoron, I know) to load both of them.  When I got the Olivers I used 12k# winches and snatch blocks.   Unloading the 2 TD-6s was interesting.  I ended up burying my trailer up to the axles in mud in my woods.  Had to roll the farm cat off with help from my 48HP Kubota.  The dozer machine was a real bear.  I couldn't lift the tongue of the trailer with my tractor so who knows how much tongue weight I really had.  I finally got it blocked up and winched out into a place where I could hook back up with the truck and move the trailer to where I wanted to unload the dozer.  

I just replaced the right front idler on the farm cat.  The former owner had used those castings as chain down points and had broken idler castings on both machines.  Thankfully the guy I got them from had found the idlers already and gave them to me with the machines.  

Fun to find old stuff in these machines and think back to what the world looked like back then...not nearly as crazy as it is today.

Brad

Picture_20190516_090420356.jpg

Screenshot_20190516-083234_Gallery.jpg

2 hours ago, north of 60 said:

I have the manually adjustable Holt blade just like yours on my TD9...it is actually quite easy to adjust when you need to... I use it a lot year round... very handy to have on the farm ..

Very cool!  Thanks for mentioning that.  I've looked all over for info on that Holt dozer attachment but nothing that I could find.  They do look simple and yet very stout.  I was also wondering looking at mine if it's meant to be able to rotate around the long axis of the dozer a little bit.  See the attached picture where the blade attaches to the frame.  That axial pin mount should allow for a up/down pivot.  Doesn't seem  to be a way to control the amount of pivot though and so it would float and be limited by the flexibility in the frame linkage.  Any insight into that from yours?  It would seem that it would be pretty easy to convert one of these to all hydraulic control with a bit of axial pivot ability so you could lower one edge of the blade.  Almost a 6-way albeit probably limited a bit in range on that pivot point.

Screenshot_20190516-202512_Message+_1.jpg

It's been a while.. 

Been busy with work and traveling ect. but gettin back to the fun stuff.

So I had to replace the bendix gear on my starter for the second time... I went to start it a while ago and there was a horrible grinding noise and then when I stopped cranking the motor, the bendix gear shot back and got stuck. When I took the starter apart, the gear had wedged itself onto the smooth portion of the shaft. Replacing the bendix was not a big deal. However, what concerns me is my ring gear. Recently I have been starting the crawler with the crank or using the crank to rotate 90 degrees and then starting it via the starter (That way the bendix engages a good section of the ring gear). This only works if I decide to never put a hydraulic pump on the front. It might be time to rotate the ring gear 90 deg, flip the gear, or replace entirely. All three options require pulling the engine unfortunately... (don't want to do any grinding on the casting). Might be time for an engine hoist as well. haha

Anyway, been painting a few odds and ends on the crawler like the side shield and louvers. Replaced spark plugs which we covered in carbon and seems to start easier. 

Here's a cool picture of an old crawler/dozer used on the beaches of Normandy that I took on vacation. Its sitting on a section of the Mulberry Harbour that was used to transport troops/supplies.

PS. Big surprise coming soon..

356E0ADF-6CF1-4D8D-A769-759C6F29AD7A.jpeg

604E3D69-D83D-48B3-9C59-27767D51D8B9.jpeg

• Like 1

Crawler #2 has arrived!

C653CF9D-40B9-4D03-BC69-25603D4CEAAE.jpeg

AF537E9C-1908-4F9B-9AA2-74426A5F5B62.jpeg

4B047B87-0103-4DC1-B455-FD1229CDE9F4.jpeg

FEF0674B-538D-460D-B7EC-AC7AC45B4753.jpeg

PTO very nice.

Just curious, what do you guys use your PTOs for? 

8 hours ago, Pbach said:

Just curious, what do you guys use your PTOs for? 

Rotovator, Rotary mower, Post hole auger

TD6 80 inch Howard 002.jpg

FMC Sidewinder rotary mower.jpg

IH TD6 Post Hole auger.jpg

• Like 1

I would be willing to check out that PTO for you! Make sure it is in good shape and limbered up a bit!!!!!!😊

Nice collection. Interesting that you posted a picture of a post hole digger driven off the PTO. I have an antique Grosshart/Prewitt post hole digger but have no idea where it was bought/ what tractor it was on, etc, etc. It has always just been collecting dust in the garage at our farm. Interesting enough, I found an old picture online that says the post hole digger is compatible with the TD6! Could my great grandpa have intended to use it on the old td6? Maybe some day I can get it hooked up and running, or possibly restored. 

IMG_0411[1].JPG

IMG_0410[1].JPG

IMG_0412[1].JPG

Pete,

This would be a great project to go with the TD6! And was in the family too.

Trying to get caught up with your work!

Can you please take a couple pictures of the rear light on your TD6? I still have that to do on mine and would like to get it in the correct location and mounting bracket.

Glad you have another machine now too. But what is Hank going to play with in the sand box?? :) 

Regards,

Chris

Rear Light 

D8F4BE03-34C0-44E6-9515-A5999D2CCC71.jpeg

7151636D-C715-4980-A2AA-CB308DCEB30A.jpeg

Pete,

Thanks for the pictures of the rear light!  I have to see if I have one of those bottom brackets? I don't have fenders like you do. Since I have this ATECO loader frame. But there is a area there but its above where your fenders are.

Still should work.

Regards,

Chris