I found the stamped number but it is very hard to read. I think it ends with “78774”.I guess I will find out if I ordered the correct part. Also I took those measurements like you suggested. The distance to the back edge of the ring gear is 3”. The distance from the starter flange to end of Bendix gear at full throw is about 2-3/8”. After inspecting the ring gear more closely the starter is only engaging about 1/2of the ring gear - as you can see in the picture pretty clearly. 

0A46E171-80E0-49C3-BBE0-2CEE0EDEFA48.jpeg

BF9ECB53-F970-4E92-8900-A121B9D3123E.jpeg

14E55ED3-C146-4761-BF9B-E57523A6A5ED.jpeg

From your measurements I am wondering if perhaps the starter is not the correct one for your TD6 ... 

The wear on your bendix gear and ring gear are certainly consistent with the bendix not going far enough forward to engage properly...  does your bendix gear in the farthest forward position go pretty much up to the inside edge of the nose ? 

Maybe your starter is the correct one but had a wrong bendix installed at one time ??

The attached photos are the parts diagrams for the 2 types of starters put on the pre 1956 TD6 engines ..I believe yours is a 1950 model, so should have had one of these starters when new ...

94BE58C5-2477-46A9-97A3-50D639057257.jpeg

166AC0DC-9209-4B42-A41A-0E8410A6DD3E.jpeg

Thanks for the parts break down, it will help in the disassembly. I believe mine is the top photo and Chris has the bottom starter (the earlier version). Strange that the part numbers don't match up... I have no knowledge of this starter ever being replaced- maybe by the original owner? I have to check the hour meter again but it didn't have a crazy amount of hours on it. The new bendix that I purchased looks just like #3 in that top photo though so I hope it will work. Will have to see if I can make any adjustments to get the bendix to engage the ring gear properly.

Starter is all taken apart. I was able to match the armature part number on my starter to the starter number 1108925 (forgot I had the catalog). My crawler serial number is TDBK24913T7CM - I think the last few numbers/letters mean that I have wide gauge track but could be wrong. The manual says that 501-29936 all had this starter which means it’s actually the earlier version. 

A8183E68-31A2-4876-974F-CE44FD1710A8.jpeg

BE70B0E3-1D54-4B02-9764-6C9A8AA9A19C.jpeg

0E2F2705-8C9C-4FE3-8FAD-A07EF01C340E.jpeg

7102D325-8640-491A-9BDD-BB9D494189E0.jpeg

AA642013-826D-4724-82E5-4C35FB89FF90.jpeg

33A72F17-D618-436E-BDD4-97F92DEF2A08.jpeg

F70DDA48-7DF2-4489-AC60-3460EDB52C98.jpeg

Good that you were able to match your armature # to the 1108925 starter...  and your starter components further support that it is the 1108925 starter that you have...

I wouldn't be surprised if you find that the bendix drive in your starter is not the correct one for that starter..  hopefully the new one you  have coming works ..

I am re reading your post, and I see that we have had the same problem.   I too have roughly the same measurements (I will double check tonight).  I spoke with the guy who rebuilt my starter, and mentioned some concern that the bendex does not engage fully.   Or more the 1/2 inch.   He told me that if should not fully engage the teeth, otherwise it will not retract.   I’m not sure as to how true this is, but he is a veteran starter/alternator repair man.   I am curious as to what you find out.   I will post some pics when I get home.

Hey Pbach, I looked at the 3 or 4 starters I have on the shelf, one of which is the same as you have, same number on the armature, same style of Bendix drive. ALL of the Bendix drives have the same wear pattern on them, looks like they only go about half way in. And the drive I have that is the same as the one you are replacing only has 10 teeth on it, counted them 3 times.

George

Posted (edited)

And that could be the issue... maybe that starter should have a 10 tooth bendix gear... I was having problems with the starter not engaging properly on my TD9 when I got it... it had a 10 tooth bendix gear in it, and it was not making proper contact with the ring gear... I replaced that bendix gear with a 12 tooth, and it has worked as it should ever since...

You may have the opposite situation .. have a 12 tooth and need a 10 tooth ?? 

(Update to this:  My parts book shows the bendix drive for the 1108925 starter should be a 12 tooth,  part #1881148)

Edited by north of 60
added info
  • Like 1

I remembered after I wrote that this morning that all of these starters are off T9s and TD9s. Don't know if that makes a difference, but did not see in the parts manual a listing for the number of teeth required.

George

Pretty sure they use the same starter George..15708579-9666-4A84-B2DD-EE529B3773DD.thumb.jpeg.72a089b3184debe5011c5dad02ab82a7.jpeg0FC4EF5A-94EC-4B33-85F5-20582A5A09EF.thumb.jpeg.ae0269b68779978f5328f029c975cd0b.jpeg

My TD9 is a 91 series, so it has a different starter ...

Back in action!

New Bendix was almost identical to the old one. Got the part delivered and installed just before dark. Out of the few times I started it the new Bendix worked flawlessly! Took her for a short test drive.

Thanks everyone for the good info.

BFC1DDDA-3088-4F83-9DD4-31F5A7226745.jpeg

7CE0D9DA-9FAC-44AE-8663-572943A56BBD.jpeg

Great news !  TD6 runs well... they are so much fun to drive !! 

I found this in my repair manual.... if this is the starter you have in the picture, there is some adjustment that can be made to obtain the specified clearance between the pinion face and the inside nose of the drive housing (23/64” with a 1/32” tolerance either way)..

Only sending this in the event you may need it down the road.. sounds like you have it fixed..

FB80B683-AD7C-4F5E-BE0C-4BF585DA3D1D.jpeg

Nice video. That is really cool.

Pete,

Awesome you got the starter operational! Thanks for letting us know, Good pictures and video. Do you have to use the brakes to turn?

Regards,

Chris

Yes I do usually need some brakes to turn. Brought out all the 1950s era machines today 

781A590A-09C5-414B-BA84-3D2DC1BF8576.jpeg

FC462BED-AF15-4DA9-9AC2-628D46C26EFA.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'57 'Bird?

1 hour ago, exSW said:

'57 'Bird?

55’

Pete,

Very nice 50's collection! I like the 55 bird. I had a 55 Crown Vic. 

Regards,

Chris

My Dad was following a truck home in his 55 Vic convertible when the brakes went out and he ran underneath it.

It was black with red interior,  He still has the full length fender skirts and at one time some side exhaust pipes.  He had a paxton supercharger but let it go I think?

I'll try to find some pictures

Hi Pete,

That's some fantastic work you've done on your machine!  Thanks for posting!  Very motivating!  Great that it was from your family.

I'm a glutton for punishment.  I have 3 Td-6s in varying stages of operability.  My first one is the Drott Skid Loader version.  The next two are a farm cat (no blade or loader) and a dozer version with a very nice condition Holt, manually adjustable dozer.

I found all of these within about 4 hours of where I live in North Idaho.  I managed to haul two at one time but it definitely stretched the capacity of my 16k trailer and my truck brakes.  The Drott version runs well (albeit hard starting on gas) and would be working now except for a blown left final drive.   I had really enjoyed working it up to the point of the breakdown. The farm cat will run but has a frozen main clutch and steering clutches feel off.  The dozer machine is missing some engine parts like valve cover, injector pump tubing, etc, but should be pretty easy to get back together once I get my hands on parts.  I'm not certain of the condition of the clutches on that machine.

I have a wife and 3 young kids so progress is slow.  Your posts have given me great encouragement and great reference photos.

I've got an affliction for all things old.  Among other things, I also have 4 Oliver HG and OC3 crawlers, a '48 Farmall Cub, 3 antique Chevy trucks, and 2 classic wooden boats.  My life is pretty much mapped out until my death with projects.  I wish I had your apparent energy!

Best of luck finding a dozer blade.  The Holt on my machine gets me excited every time I look at it.  I'm eager to put it to use someday.  Plenty to do in our woods with a machine like that.

Thanks and best wishes for your further work on your machine.

Brad

Screenshot_20190515-223511_Facebook_1.jpg

Screenshot_20190515-223043_Facebook_1.jpg

Screenshot_20190515-224545_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190515-224530_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190515-224632_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice machines!   I’d be in trouble if I had a chance to buy machines that close to me!   I’m sure that’s why you have so many!   I’m in need of a few parts, if you are willing to part any of those out, or you have any parts...let me know...I need the input shaft, and the flywheel gear...let me know what you think!

I am afraid if I had a truck and trailer like yours I would have several more projects haha - that is quite the collection. This might be a dumb question but how did you get those crawlers on/off your trailer? (Unless they could be driven?). My Crawler is also a farm cat (I even found a 70 year old corn stalk in the belly shield when I took it off) it has relatively low hours and undercarriage in above average condition. Still searching for a blade - several jobs are waiting on it out at our farm... Glad my posts/pics helped you!

9 hours ago, hank1010 said:

Very nice machines!   I’d be in trouble if I had a chance to buy machines that close to me!   I’m sure that’s why you have so many!   I’m in need of a few parts, if you are willing to part any of those out, or you have any parts...let me know...I need the input shaft, and the flywheel gear...let me know what you think!

Hi Hank - so far the dream is alive to get all 3 of them up and running, but I need to assess the condition of that machine more.  It may be an uphill battle and serve me better by providing the parts I need for the other machines.  If I decide to part it out, I'll let you know.  Thanks

I have the manually adjustable Holt blade just like yours on my TD9...it is actually quite easy to adjust when you need to... I use it a lot year round... very handy to have on the farm ..