brewcrew

Removing crank on 686

I’m finally tearing down my 686 for a major overhaul. I’ve never done more than swapping a head by myself before, so this is a major undertaking! It was knocking, so I’m going to have the crank checked out, and I’m in the process of trying to remove it. The service manual just says to remove the engine, and I cannot find further directions. Can I do it with just the tractor split? Or do I need to have the engine completely out? All advice is welcome! Thanks 

best completely out and upside down in a stand 

Not familiar with that engine, but in general, the front cover has to come off and you can't rally do that without unbolting the engine from the front end, and you are going to have the back side unbolted, so....basically yes, the engine is out at that point. 

A complete overhaul will require splitting the machine and removing the engine to a good working area.  Splitting for engine removal, does not require any fancy fixtures, a pile of good quality 2X8 yellow pine or equivalent (use wide boards so stack will be stable) to block up the tractor sections. A harbor freight engine hoist  and  floor jacks/bottle jacks  will do the lifting.  When we overhauled the little D179 engine we split the 464 tractor underneath a Osage orange  tree in the rainy Texas spring.   The 464 engine/cast iron pan is actually the frame of the tractor so it had to be split. Once split,  removing the engine just requires moving the front section out of the way. We removed the engine to our shop and did all work from there.  Always work safely.  The service manager at the local CIH dealership was very helpful in recommending  trusted machine shops in the area.  That was 9 years ago! still operating fine.

Good luck with your project.

5 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

best completely out and upside down in a stand 

x2 on a good sturdy engine stand that will allow you to rotate the engine 360 degrees

On 7/30/2018 at 1:17 PM, sandhiller said:

x2 on a good sturdy engine stand that will allow you to rotate the engine 360 degrees

We mounted the D179 mounted side-on on our 2K# harbor freight stand BUT the D310 is probably too heavy and too long.  The cost and time to fab a stand is prohibitive for most repair one engine people so lay down some 2x8 sections and position the block bottom up and go to work.  The harbor freight stand could be used butt-on if the front end of the block is supported on  it's own stand. A good chain fall, I prefer a ratchet hoist, is nice. Some way to do overhead lifting is a must  have.

IF YOU NEED HELP SEND ME A MESSAGE. I LIVE IN CENTRAL WISCONSIN.

I got it handled guys. The crank is good, so I’m just waiting on the overhaul kit to arrive to put it all back together.

What about cam bushings? Hope your having the both ends of the rods done as well. Maybe you are already doing all this , makes me laugh when guys slam a set of liners in something and say its overhauled when really its only half done.

^^^ what he said. If it’s a d310 what about the cam bearings? Also if d310 I am interested what kit you buy and what you think. I’m in the process myself. 

On 8/3/2018 at 1:54 PM, Missouri Mule said:

^^^ what he said. If it’s a d310 what about the cam bearings? Also if d310 I am interested what kit you buy and what you think. I’m in the process myself. 

Not a German. I know some people really love those engines but I’m not sure if I would overhaul one of them, I think I’d replace it with a dt360 or something.

4 hours ago, brewcrew said:

Not a German. I know some people really love those engines but I’m not sure if I would overhaul one of them, I think I’d replace it with a dt360 or something.

Good luck with your machine.