Bread

Cargostar floor pan restoration

Hey guys,

Can anybody post a pic or tell me if the shape of my floor is normal or not?  There's a large hump in the middle and a strange wrinkle on the vertical sheet going up to the seat pan.  The seams have all separated and need to be welded back up.  When tilting the cab, the lift cylinder makes the floor flex, pop and bend.  I think this stress point has bent the floor, but I've never sat in another Cargostar before so no way to know.  I'd like to address the repairs this summer while the weather is good here in Washington.

IMG_1775.JPG

IMG_1776.JPG

IMG_1777.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

• Like 1

Can't help but that is a nice looking Cargostar.

Dennis

To this day that is still my favorite style of medium duty.  It would make a fine all around truck or tractor hauler. 

I have two brothers that spent many years behind the wheel of trucks and they tell me that the cabover cabs are very cramped, they have a pitchy ride and there is nothing between the driver and another vehicle except the windshield.   Has a great view of the road.

Nice looking machine!

4 hours ago, oleman said:

I have two brothers that spent many years behind the wheel of trucks and they tell me that the cabover cabs are very cramped, they have a pitchy ride and there is nothing between the driver and another vehicle except the windshield.   Has a great view of the road.

Having rode Shotgun with Dad tens of thousands of miles in CO-190's, Emeryville's, and a couple GMC tiltcabs, they never really bothered me. Dad had a close call in one of the GMC's one night, a universal joint in the convoluted steering shaft came apart and he ground to a stop on the Iron Bridge on I-80 by Joliet, Ill on his way to the Chicago Stockyards.  I drove a couple TransStar's for a day or two when my short nose conventional RoadBoss was in the shop, I Much preferred something with a nose on it.

Yea, there isn't anything but sheet metal protecting my knees in a front end collision.  Got damn good air brakes though!  Always gotta be strapped to the seat or you risk getting ejected through the windshield.  Great visibility and manuverabilit in these trucks so it's suited perfectly for the occasional machinery hauling I do in Seattle.  But a bear to drive due to no power steering and the 392 gas motor.  But I love this truck.  Just needs to be protected from a slow rusty death, much like all International trucks.

I've been picking away at the rust and body filler packed in the seams this week, and it looks like the floor should in fact have a bit of slope from the center.  Just not as much as it does now.  I'm going to remove the lift cylinder and put a hydraulic puller in there.  Might try a come-along first, but probably going to need the hydraulics.   The shifter gasket is 1/2" below the floor, so I'll pull until that gap gets eliminated or reduced.   Beyond that, as long as the broken seams line up decently at the back of the footwell I'll call it good and start welding in new steel.

I bet someone has tried to lift the cab without releasing the cab latch, that would do that damage for sure. Weld the seams back up and I doubt you have to worry too much about it.

Life has been busy, but I bought another flatbed so I can free this one up for some repairs.

I removed the cab tilt cylinder and put a come along in its place.  I pulled the floor down, and started massaging that buckled back wall and floor.  Got the vertical steel flattened out pretty good.

After grinding out quite a bit of bondo the root of the problem revealed itself.  The floor seams had rotted out, and four patch panels were slapped down in an attempt to get the truck back on the road.  There’s no structure on the drivers side at all, so I’m going to start cutting the floor out to repair this mess.  I’m no body man but I suppose a floor is as good a place to learn as any.

314B6264-7A9E-4B46-B852-64A1B6BCB5A1.jpeg

7FC6C320-E956-4811-BC18-9EE3D038C7E5.jpeg

78B6BB41-1634-4272-B296-8E41401A1D57.jpeg

If you could post pictures when you repair your floor I would appreciate it.  I am in a similar circumstance on a 1963 CO1800.

Thanks.

Corey