gwoswald

Farmall M water in oil

12 hours ago, boog said:

Cherry picker or a chain hoist is the easiest way to get the head off. Needs to come up straight as possible

I was thinkin more like a BIGGGG Burley Big Bone Girl could get that head off. LOL........sorry me bad.

Had an H like that a few years ago. I was lifting the whole front end off the ground trying to lift the head off! Lots of good penetrating oil down past the studs, lift it up with a crane of some sorts and put a big hardwood dowel in the intake or exhaust port and wiggle it. try to avoid using a big prybar between the deck and head. Try not to disturb the head gasket as much as possible so that you can look it over very close and see if there is evidence of where the coolant may have been leaking.

• Thanks 1

Farmall Doctor-I'll try the dowel trick and see if that will work. I've had penetrating oil on it for a month. To me it looks like I have interference between two studs and the head. Seems the most stuck on the manifold side at the back. I've had the front tires off the ground already. 

Got it tonight. Had to lift one side, put in a shim, lift the other, shim it, etc until it finally popped loose. 

Didn't see anything obvious on the head gasket, but my experience is limited and it was somewhat boogered up. 

Then I rolled the head over and saw some interesting stuff going on. It looks like there was water getting into the #4 cylinder by areas of carbon that are removed. Also #3 looks like it might have something going on. This was also the cylinder that I saw water running down the inside of the cylinder. 

So looks like the head might need to go out for an evaluation and probably some work....or maybe I'll have to look around for a high compression head...