Sign in to follow this  
red tractor fever

Helping Marshalltown, Iowa

It all started yesterday. Got up Friday morning thinking it would be a run of the mill day. Man was I wrong. My day started with putting a new set of tires on my wife's pickup. It was overdue but that's not relevant here. Wife had a hair appointment at noon and we got groceries and ran errands after that. One of our stops was our vet. And that set the stage. 

They had placed a truck in the parking lot accepting donations for pet food for disaster relief victims. And it's a free for all. You can donate or take from it depending on your situation. And for those of you who don't know us, if pets are in need, we get involved. Headed out to our local farm store, picked up some cat and dog supplies to donate. Put it in the truck about 2pm. By 4pm we'd got a text it was gone. So we hatched a plan to donate some more.

So today was a busy day. Got up and headed up to Reinbeck, Iowa. That's where we get our dog food. They were closed and that never happens. But luckily someone showed up to do some banking. So we raided there supply. And ordered some more. Informed them of our intent to donate 99% of what we got. Thought it was neat. The guy had to ask the owner but thought they might donate some to the cause. And when they placed the next order they were gonna ask if they're supplier would donate some as well. So things are in motion. 

Next stop, after making our donation, Des Moines, Iowa. My wife wanted to take a hand knit teddy bear to be judged and exhibited at the Iowa State Fair. Headed back to Marshalltown. Wife wanted to see how much was gone. Some was but not all. Then it was supper time. Stopped at the local Maid Rite. One of the things Marshalltown is known for. Get some sandwiches to go. On my way out I held the door for two women, complete strangers. One of them thanked me and said she knew I was gonna do that. I told her we do things different here. She was from southern California and said I know, you Iowa guys are wonderful. And those are her words not mine.

And on a side note, those new tires already have 250+ miles on them. Most of them today.😃

It was a busy day but feels really good to help people that really need it. 

20180728_111022.jpg

20180728_111035.jpg

20180728_111043.jpg

20180728_115959.jpg

• Like 2

Is this the same Marshalltown where the trowels and concrete finishing tools are made?  If so, I really like the quality and Old World craftsmanship that the people from your area make.  I try to buy them for every use I have from a putty knife to a dry wall tool.

Feels good, don`t it?

4 hours ago, rsscott said:

Is this the same Marshalltown where the trowels and concrete finishing tools are made?  If so, I really like the quality and Old World craftsmanship that the people from your area make.  I try to buy them for every use I have from a putty knife to a dry wall tool.

Yes it is. My wife's grandmother worked there years ago. 

1 hour ago, MTO said:

Feels good, don`t it?

It most certainly does. After it hit we contacted our friends to see if they were ok. And all were. Then we asked those with damage if they needed any help? One lady said she faired pretty well but her neighbors not so much. They could handle it. One of our customers had building damage but didn't reply when asked about help. They don't have power back to do much. So we were wanting and willing to help but couldn't quite find our spot. 

Then the pet food truck was found. So we just had to be patient in finding our spot. And as you know from the original post we got involved. One of our bags of dog food was going to a single mom with a lab. She lost EVERYTHING. Her house and all her clothes are gone. So it definitely feels good. And I hope were helping more people that are in the same situation. We will do as much as we can as long as we can.

Farmers Feed & Supply in Reinbeck, Iowa came through. They helped us make a big donation. Even let me haul it with their truck. They picked it up and left it on. Was nice not to have to handle all those bags several times. When one of the receptionist came out she asked if we robbed the pet food store? Or course we didn't but that just tells you it was a big donation.

38164229_1912303365459584_4384046412367659008_o (1).jpg

38133386_1912303348792919_4084256174688436224_o (1).jpg