dajeepman

IH 986 Fuel Pump Leaking

I got a IH986 it's leaking fuel in the oil. I had the outer gaskets replaces on the fuel pump but was told the shafts seal that's between the gear that drives the pump and the fuel. Is this easly replaced or does it require a large skill to work on as in dealer repair? The tractor runs fine and does not smoke, but puts over 2qts of diesel in the oil in less than 8hrs of run time.

First off welcome aboard. You would get far more exposure with this posted in General Forum. 

There are 2 common places for diesel fuel to get into the crankcase, #1 is the lower head sealing ring, #2 is the shaft seal on the gear type transfer pump. Both are pretty easy repairs if you have the books or info to study prior to making the repair. Without knowing each mans skills it is hard to recommend a "do it yourself repair" of this nature. 

Be very careful in continuing to run engine as you can / will wash out mains and/or rod bearing and be looking at a major repair. 

Thanks for the Info. I will look into this more. I'm trying to get a repair manual for this tractor.

The fuel pump will have it’s own repair manual. Will not be part of the tractor repair manual other than removal and replacement 

John