British IH 444 Serial Number

Happyjack

Greetings.  Long time IH owner, first time poster.......

I recently purchased a British built IH 444 and am looking for information about it.  Purely for interest sake I would like to date it but cannot find a listing of serial numbers for the British 444s. 

My tag has what I believe to be the series number A480003 and the serial number B004184.

I'm also looking for advice on where to get parts for it, particularly for the fuel system.  I managed to break the glass bowl on the fuel filter and had a very difficult time finding a supplier in Canada.  My local Case IH dealer (who is not the Ag dealer) has ordered me one which they said matches the part number from the official Case IH parts website and is also utilized on a 3400 series loader (?).  We will see if it is the right one later this week.  Any recommendations for parts like fuel lines with banjo fittings?  What about an owner's / operator's manual for the British 444?

Thanks in advance

Scotty

$_59.JPG

Hey Scotty, 

Does your 444 have the BD154 engine?  I recently did a lot of fuel related work on my B414 with that same engine. I too fell on the floor when i saw the prices of the banjo Bolts. ?i got lucky and found a guy that salvages British built IH's from this area within 20km from me.I pretty much cleaned him out of banjo fittings, but he might have a used bowl kicking around for you. I see your in Canada too, whereabouts are you located ? 

Al

Thanks for the reply.  I believe mine has the BD154 engine.  My Banjo bolts all seem ok but I am still needing to get some copper washers (some of the fittings have either aluminum washers or only one copper washer).

I am in Northwestern Ontario, just west of Thunder Bay.

Scotty

i took one of those crush washers with me to a local hydraulic shop and had them matched up. Cost me 1/4 of the price of one from mother case for a 20pk. I dont think i kept the bill, it had the size on it. 6 months in , no leaks. i got copper type and used one on each side of the fitting.

Maybe someone on here knows the correct size you need and can save you taking one off. I dont recommend re-using these types of washers. 

AL

That is a Canadian spec 444 British built tractor (Bradford) that was sold in Canada. By that serial number it is either a 1976 or 1977 model. I don't have a serial number chart either but I know from 1971 to the end there were about 5000 of them. Early ones 1971 to 1973 were a mix of Gas and diesel. Late ones 1974 to 1977 were all diesel. The 1501 loader was built in Hamilton, Ontario.

Who is your dealer in Thunder Bay area? I didn't realize there was one there.

There isn't an Ag dealer in Thunder Bay.  I went to the industrial Case IH guy: Stronco.  They were great to work with.  They said the closest IH dealer was Leo's (?) in Winnipeg.  

I took off one of the fittings that had one oversized aluminum washer on the inside and nothing on the outside.  I measured the diameter of the banjo with a caliper and it was 1/2".  We have a few good hydraulic shops and performance auto shops that will likely have the copper washers.

Thanks for the aging info.  Nice to know its not as old as I am......

Any suggestions on an owner's manual?  Does the 364 manual cover the British built 444?

Scotty

• 3 weeks later...

Got an update on the British 444.  I secured a new glass bowl for the fuel filter and installed it last Saturday.  I also got a new banjo bolt to replace one that is twisting and cracking.  I also replaced several of the crush washers.  Primed and bled the system and the tractor started right up.  Being nervous about it stalling somewhere in the yard away from the shop or in the way, I left it running in the driveway at high idle (1200 rpm or so) for an hour.  Ran great.  After an hour I ran the loader up and down to give it a little bit of load and there was no problem at all.

Fast forward to Thursday night.  Had a small job to do in the yard.  Starts up fine, warmed up good.  Drove up the driveway and back into the yard fine.  Started backing up to skid a few small logs across the yard and when I let out the clutch to move forward it stalled.  Idle was somewhat low.  Tractor was in first.  The tractor didn't even get to pulling, just stalled.  Was a bit fast on the clutch, but not unreasonable.  The tractor wouldn't re-start.  I tried bleeding the lines at the injectors - got fuel from all, but no starting (not even any smoke).  

I have yet to check the air filter to see if it is blocked.  I also need to check the fuel tank for blockage.  

Any ideas on why it would stall then not restart?

Also, I noticed that the fuel filter (agglomerator) on my tractor has the glass bowl on the right fuel filter while the parts diagram from the Official Case IH site shows it on the left.  Would this affect it at all?

Thanks in advance,

Scotty

Fuel Filter.JPG

IMG_3311.JPG

The fuel pump has no idea which filter has the glass bowl and doesn't care. The bowl is there for any water that gets into the system to settle into and be visible to the operator so that it can be cleaned out at an appropriate time.

Follow the flow of fuel from the tank to the injection pump. The bowl should be under the filter that the fuel goes through first.

Thanks.  Being new to diesels I wan't sure if they were particular about that.

I think I solved my problems though.  Following the advice in other postings on here I started at the tank to trouble shoot.  Wouldn't you know the petcock was clogged at the tank.  Drained the tank and vacuumed out the bottom.  Got a bunch of crud.  A few cycles of clean fuel and vacuuming and I got as much as I could out.  Seemed like just accumulated dirt.  Started right up.  Let's hope it keeps going.

Thanks again for all the advice

Scotty

Scotty

If you need any info or help on your British IH tractors give us a call at 249-777-3217 we're in Manitowaning on Manitoulin Island.

Carl Ruby

Archived