mader656

God made a 4020

FB_IMG_1532226187057.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was it Gods wish to creat a tractor that needs a whiff of ether at 50 degrees

• Haha 3

My neighbor posted this on Facebook to stir up all the local yellow underwear guys. I had to mention about the either as our 3020 always started hard even after a local mechanic who was excellent and very well versed in JD rebuilt the engine. George used to average over one per month for the game Comission and forestry divisions on those four cylinder engines  

And give me the best marketing manager you got, we'll knock 'em dead

Row,row,row your Deere

Gently 'cross the field

Hit a slope and watch her choke

And pick another gear

Spent a lot of time on a 4020

Liked it, but that power shift is there for a reason.

• Haha 2

I know I'll get burned on a stake for saying it, oh well. 

God decided a tractor should only need to pull something off the drawbar or 3 point hitch,

The power steering doesn't have to work all the time, and you should never need to turn too sharply,

He knew you will never need to run a hyd motor and still have hyd functions on other remotes....

So God made an 806. 

Why did it take IH 20+ yrs to introduce a closed center hyd system?  A 4020 was a turd in power, but as a yard tractor, or a haying tractor, I would take a 4020 any day. You have to go all the way up to a Maxxum to find a red competitor.

• Like 1

It would be a lot better if a 10 year old that didn't know how to use a keyboard wouldn't have tried to express his thoughts with words.........

Unless your doing a lot of hard tillage, it's hard to match a 4020.  They have their faults, but something from the 60's you can back into a 1750 Vac planter, run the vac, lift it, and run a fert. Pump with the stock hydraulic system demands respect.  

• Like 1

so was the power shift really from the ford selecto speed was watching show the other day about ford 6000, have always wondered about the selecto speed in those old fords,

I have both a 4020 and a 756 (also a 5075E JD but that's not really in the same class).   The 4020 has a cab and a loader, I wish they were on the 756.   My biggest beef with the 4020 is that it needs a lower first gear for using the loader, especially with forks.   Actually I take that back.  My biggest beef is the pin that holds the rear of the draw bar wishbone GOES THROUGH THE HYDRAULIC FLUID.   Can't make the pin mount below the fluid level, or even just use two smaller pins.  Have to have a 3' pin on something that gets jostled around so that you can pull everything apart to keep trying to fix the same hydraulic leak.   Don't even get me started on the parts books.   The pin and the seals to go with it aren't even in the same section of the book, and good luck figuring out where they both are.  

10 minutes ago, pt756 said:

so was the power shift really from the ford selecto speed was watching show the other day about ford 6000, have always wondered about the selecto speed in those old fords,

The guy who led the teams that designed both transmissions was Harold Brock.  That is about the only thing they have in common.  The SOS failed out of the gate and Brock told them it would.  Google up Harold Brock.  Lots of good info on him. 

Just now, Baradium said:

I have both a 4020 and a 756 (also a 5075E JD but that's not really in the same class).   The 4020 has a cab and a loader, I wish they were on the 756.   My biggest beef with the 4020 is that it needs a lower first gear for using the loader, especially with forks.   Actually I take that back.  My biggest beef is the pin that holds the rear of the draw bar wishbone GOES THROUGH THE HYDRAULIC FLUID.   Can't make the pin mount below the fluid level, or even just use two smaller pins.  Have to have a 3' pin on something that gets jostled around so that you can pull everything apart to keep trying to fix the same hydraulic leak.   Don't even get me started on the parts books.   The pin and the seals to go with it aren't even in the same section of the book, and good luck figuring out where they both are.  

Change the bushing seals last a long time. The power shift is 2 sets of  multiple clutch packs and planetaries  The same design went on into to 55 series but with another set of packs on flywheel for more speeds. The only better yard tractor than a late 4020 is a late 3020.

1 hour ago, Cattech said:

I know I'll get burned on a stake for saying it, oh well. 

God decided a tractor should only need to pull something off the drawbar or 3 point hitch,

The power steering doesn't have to work all the time, and you should never need to turn too sharply,

He knew you will never need to run a hyd motor and still have hyd functions on other remotes....

So God made an 806. 

Why did it take IH 20+ yrs to introduce a closed center hyd system?  A 4020 was a turd in power, but as a yard tractor, or a haying tractor, I would take a 4020 any day. You have to go all the way up to a Maxxum to find a red competitor.

Well God sure as heck didn't make the 666.  Your point about the steering is dead on.   Overall our 5010 and 5020 handles better then my 1256.  JD always put more emphasis on the operator even going back to the 2 cylinders.   If I had both I would put the 806 on the plow and 4020 on everything else.  If I could only take one then it would be the 4320. 

4 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Change the bushing seals last a long time. The power shift is 2 sets of  multiple clutch packs and planetaries  The same design went on into to 55 series but with another set of packs on flywheel for more speeds. The only better yard tractor than a late 4020 is a late 3020.

Bushings, seals and pin are new.  It's actually not leaking now.    I just think it was a really poor choice to set it up that way.     It doesn't help that the dealers up here aren't good at all.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Baradium said:

Bushings, seals and pin are new.  It's actually not leaking now.    I just think it was a really poor choice to set it up that way.     It doesn't help that the dealers up here aren't good at all.

21 minutes ago, dale560 said:

If you have a TMR mixer hooked to the drawbar they don't last more than a year and a half tops. We put new shaft and the upgrade aftermarket bushings in that never will go bad again ever ( supposedly) and still experienced  failure of the load draft seals

We liked the PS transmission and that is all I would reuse if saving anything to make a better tractor from it's design

From the experience at JD and from my FIL the 4020 was a excellent tractor. It was not nearly as powerful as an 806 but the powershift was extremely reliable. MY FILs 4020 lasted for 15,000 hours with no powershift repairs. Only the engine needed an overhaul every 5000 hours. The tractor that Deere produced back then that  was a dud was the 4520. Even the guys at Deere said so. And the 4620 wasn't much better. They still had cold start problems on the 4630 and it wasn't until the 4640 that they had one of the best tractors around. The 4640 was reliable like the 4020 was.

My question is this. Everyone talks about Powershifts in 4020s. Was it a thing that some areas took to the powershift and some areas didn't for a bit.

I've seen a lot of 4020s around me and every single one of them is the synchro. Never seen a early Deere powershift in person until we bought our old JD backhoe which has a 8 speed with a shuttle reverser on it. (3020 engine too) Deere Powershifts didn't seem to take off around here until the 15 speed came out. I can think of one 40 series tractor that has a powershift and that one is a 4840. You only got them in powershift. Everything else was Quad Range. I've even been in a 4630 with a synchro in it.

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

It would be a lot better if a 10 year old, that didn't know how to use a keyboard, wouldn't have tried to express his thoughts with words.........

You know, I am not trying to be a rear end here,  and I am no English Scholar, but if you start telling people that they are writing like a 10 year old, maybe your punctuation should be correct.

41 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Well God sure as heck didn't make the 666.  Your point about the steering is dead on.   Overall our 5010 and 5020 handles better then my 1256.  JD always put more emphasis on the operator even going back to the 2 cylinders.   If I had both I would put the 806 on the plow and 4020 on everything else.  If I could only take one then it would be the 4320. 

4320....And there is one of the 10 best tractors ever made. I admit I'm biased being it's what I grew up in....., but even so... doesn't start like most Deere's in that it actually will do so without ether, actually has low end torque and lugging ability, doesn't gulp fuel, has a real hyd system, and from what I have experienced - holy crap, even reliable!

31 minutes ago, George 2 said:

From the experience at JD and from my FIL the 4020 was a excellent tractor. It was not nearly as powerful as an 806 but the powershift was extremely reliable. MY FILs 4020 lasted for 15,000 hours with no powershift repairs. Only the engine needed an overhaul every 5000 hours. The tractor that Deere produced back then that  was a dud was the 4520. Even the guys at Deere said so. And the 4620 wasn't much better. They still had cold start problems on the 4630 and it wasn't until the 4640 that they had one of the best tractors around. The 4640 was reliable like the 4020 was.

The biggest problem with a 4520 was airfilter location setup and original compact design Roosa master pump like late 4020s had. 4620 went back to big style roosa pump

1 minute ago, Cattech said:

4320....And there is one of the 10 best tractors ever made. I admit I'm biased being it's what I grew up in....., but even so... doesn't start like most Deere's in that it actually will do so without ether, actually has low end torque and lugging ability, doesn't gulp fuel, has a real hyd system, and from what I have experienced - holy crap, even reliable!

A lot of 4320s in this area never overhauled a 4320 but everything else I have had apart they were a tough tractor.

7 minutes ago, rsscott said:

You know, I am not trying to be a rear end here,  and I am no English Scholar, but if you start telling people that they are writing like a 10 year old, maybe your punctuation should be correct.

Thank you captain obvious, and I will do it again for your liking.............Got anything of real value to add to this topic?   I guess I will be more direct on what I wanted to say the first time, some flunky who knows nothing about a 4020 should think before they start tearing it down with nonsense.

2 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Thank you captain obvious, and I will do it again for your liking.............Got anything of real value to add to this topic?   I guess I will be more direct on what I wanted to say the first time, some flunky who knows nothing about a 4020 should think before they start tearing it down with nonsense.

Yea, I do agree with you.  It does look like a ten year old wrote it, but I just could not resist picking on you a little bit.  Sorry if I offended you, but sometimes the humor is missed because the inflection is difficult to convey in a written forum.  

27 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

My question is this. Everyone talks about Powershifts in 4020s. Was it a thing that some areas took to the powershift and some areas didn't for a bit.

Here the dealer prefered to sell them that way, goofs even ordered the 4000's with power shifts, some people never seen one, and I need my fingers and a lot of my toes to count them all here.  A lot of syncro so around east of me though, I have run both, power shift is nice but syncro works nice for other things too........IMO neither one are tillage tractors.  Speeds on the power shift aren't right and the syncro driveline before the rear is weak IMO at stock power levels, God forbid if you hang and M&W turbo on and turn it for all she is worth, both for the drive clutch and PTO clutch.  But like I said, the hydraulic system is head and shoulders ahead other than having the charge pump in the rear on the syncro tractors and only runs when the clutch is out, but that doesn't effect most people.  And they handle nice.  I personally think the seat is over rated, but most rave about it.  You can bash them all you want, but they were a hunk of iron that has withstood time.  The engines stay together and work, but I sure like the insides of a IH diesel(excluding the D282) a lot better though!

5 minutes ago, rsscott said:

Yea, I do agree with you.  It does look like a ten year old wrote it, but I just could not resist picking on you a little bit.  Sorry if I offended you, but sometimes the humor is missed because the inflection is difficult to convey in a written forum.  

I was trying to be a nice as possible, because I don't know who wrote it, but I seen it on AG talk and I first thing I thought of was what idiot wrote this essay.  I honestly could not even read it all.  

I am not following this trend of over priced 4020's......because they seem to have peaked, anymore the red iron seem to be the ones over valued because they don't seem to have a limit to what people will spend for the post '65 tractors IMO.