red tractor fever

A Costly Mistake....

....Not Mine.

I've been buying my truck fuel at the same truck stop in Des Moines, Iowa for approximately the last 15 years. And I've been very loyal to them. One cause that's just how I am. And two, the fuel is guaranteed. And that's very important to me. I'll bet I haven't purchased 100 gallon else where in that amount of time. Well just recently they changed the financial institution to do their collecting. First thing, we got notice they wanted the bill paid 10 days prior to the due date so they had plenty of time to get it posted. Strike one. Then twice they sent our check back. So we resend it. But by the time they get it the second time it's late according to the due date. So we got dinged $100 bucks finance charge both times. Thus strike two and three. 

Solution to the problem. You guessed it. We no longer buy fuel there. We have a guaranteed fuel source close to home. Not quite as convenient and not quite as fast but if the other place wants to play games like they are, I won't be complaining one bit. We buy our vehicle and tractor fuel there so why not put it in the truck to?

And depending on the price of fuel and how busy we are, it's between a $20,000 to $25,000 dollar a year oops on there part.

I can't wait for the call wondering why our fuel bill went from $1500 to $2000 bucks a month to zero.

• Like 2

Stand by your decision and don’t be afraid to tell them why!

8 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Yep, gotta agree. Few years ago my wife's cousin got notice that the place he was getting fuel from was no longer allowing anyone to charge fuel. Now Mark has a recycling business. Runs a couple of pickups pulling trailers, 3 semi's a crusher and a pay loader. He averaged about 2K a month and paid his bill on the first every month, never late. So he switched suppliers. THe place he was doing business with called an ask where he was. He reminded them that when they first announced they would no longer allow people to charge fuel he would stop doing business with them if they followed through with that plan. He wasn't the only one. 

Rick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, red tractor fever said:

....Not Mine.

I've been buying my truck fuel at the same truck stop in Des Moines, Iowa for approximately the last 15 years. And I've been very loyal to them. One cause that's just how I am. And two, the fuel is guaranteed. And that's very important to me. I'll bet I haven't purchased 100 gallon else where in that amount of time. Well just recently they changed the financial institution to do their collecting. First thing, we got notice they wanted the bill paid 10 days prior to the due date so they had plenty of time to get it posted. Strike one. Then twice they sent our check back. So we resend it. But by the time they get it the second time it's late according to the due date. So we got dinged $100 bucks finance charge both times. Thus strike two and three. 

Solution to the problem. You guessed it. We no longer buy fuel there. We have a guaranteed fuel source close to home. Not quite as convenient and not quite as fast but if the other place wants to play games like they are, I won't be complaining one bit. We buy our vehicle and tractor fuel there so why not put it in the truck to?

And depending on the price of fuel and how busy we are, it's between a $20,000 to $25,000 dollar a year oops on there part.

I can't wait for the call wondering why our fuel bill went from $1500 to $2000 bucks a month to zero.

They won't call.

1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

That's the plan. I'm as stubborn as I am loyal. So no matter what they say, I'm moving on.

33 minutes ago, rsscott said:

They won't call.

Don't wanna start a pi$$ing match here but they might. One spring several years ago we had a extremely slow time. They did call and inquire if there was a problem. Told them it was just slow and everything was fine. 

19 minutes ago, red tractor fever said:

That's the plan. I'm as stubborn as I am loyal. So no matter what they say, I'm moving on.

Don't wanna start a pi$$ing match here but they might. One spring several years ago we had a extremely slow time. They did call and inquire if there was a problem. Told them it was just slow and everything was fine. 

Was not going to be argumentative, just that lately, when I have instances that happen like this, the most frustrating thing is that they usually don't care.  Usually happens when new management takes over.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rsscott said:

Was not going to be argumentative, just that lately, when I have instances that happen like this, the most frustrating thing is that they usually don't care.  Usually happens when new management takes over.

I here you there to. Been on that side of things as well. We live in a world where nobody cares about anything. I won't be surprised either way. It's all good. 

I agree if I am not treated right, I will move my business to someone who will treat me better!

1 hour ago, rsscott said:

They won't call.

You may be surprised, then again you may be right.

27 minutes ago, red tractor fever said:

We live in a world where nobody cares about anything. 

Ain't that the truth!

Rick

• Like 1

I agree with you 100% and would probably do the same thing myself.

Now to show another side of the story. Where I work we send out statements at the beginning of the month due on the 30th, so if you get fuel at the beginning of the month you have almost 2 months before it is due. I am amazed at how many farmers will send it in months late and refuse to pay a finance charge.

That painfully reminds me of a single bolt purchase from my long time supplier recently.  $8.38 shipping and handling fee on a $1.10 bolt.  In our discussion they would not budge as the manager told me that division was losing $$.  When I ordered it they said there would be a little shipping and handling.  Not asking for the specifics I paid the $10.00+ for the bolt.  Lesson learned.  I am getting old and forgetful but hope I find another supplier so I don't grace their door again.

28 minutes ago, WESnIL said:

That painfully reminds me of a single bolt purchase from my long time supplier recently.  $8.38 shipping and handling fee on a $1.10 bolt.  In our discussion they would not budge as the manager told me that division was losing $$.  When I ordered it they said there would be a little shipping and handling.  Not asking for the specifics I paid the $10.00+ for the bolt.  Lesson learned.  I am getting old and forgetful but hope I find another supplier so I don't grace their door again.

Had the exact same thing happen at CIH dealership while having to order a dash light bulb for my 1086. Bulb was less than 2$. Shipping & Handling made it 11$ for something smaller than a fingertip waying only a few grams and took 5 days. I asked why didn't they drop it in an envelope for the price of a stamp or ship it to my house. They told since it came from another dealership under the same owner their little parts truck had to go get it. My reply was "and it still took 5 days." Smh.

1 hour ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

Had the exact same thing happen at CIH dealership while having to order a dash light bulb for my 1086. Bulb was less than 2$. Shipping & Handling made it 11$ for something smaller than a fingertip waying only a few grams and took 5 days. I asked why didn't they drop it in an envelope for the price of a stamp or ship it to my house. They told since it came from another dealership under the same owner their little parts truck had to go get it. My reply was "and it still took 5 days." Smh.

I thought those bulbs were bulk bulbs at the auto parts store?

Went to movie last night, 2 tickets = $12,. . One regular Pepsi = SIX DOLLARS & she didn't like ( Not a Coke).Sorry just had to vent.

32 minutes ago, rsscott said:

I thought those bulbs were bulk bulbs at the auto parts store?

If they are I didn't know at the time. Costly mistake on a smaller scale I guess. Live and learn, die and forget it all.

1 hour ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

If they are I didn't know at the time. Costly mistake on a smaller scale I guess. Live and learn, die and forget it all.

Any good auto store will have them. Same as a ton of vehicles take in the dash.

2      $.05 springs from IH = $70 for only IH kit offered + $15 shipping < 1/2 lb + 5 days.... broke again in 10 minutes

(full) OEm service kit from not IH dealer $60 + $12 shipping > 5lb , setting at door < 14 hours,,,,!    200 acres later......

since it was a cross ship from another dealer at full  MSRP   they must sell for < $30

If they want to play Stupid Games they win Stupid Prizes ( lost buisness ) .

Here's another one that happened to me probably 10+ years ago. Was checking my truck over after a bad snow storm. Was gonna go the next day. Discovered two rear wheel seals leaking. Called the shop I WAS using at the time. Politely asked if I should bring it right away or in the morning. They said BRING IT IN. So I did. In this area wheel seals are approximately $150 a throw. So the bill should've been $300 bucks give or take. Got the bill, $430. So I politely inquired what was up. Found out the mechanic couldn't find the wheel bearing socket. So we got charged full shop time for the mechanic to look for the tools. Shop manager refused to give us anything back. No credit on the next job. Absolutely nothing, not one cent back. I haven't been back there either. He could've given us $20.00 bucks off whatever we needed next and I'd have been happy. But when he dug his heels in so did I. And I was loyal to this place to. But that didn't matter to him so I moved on. 

We buy 30-40K gallons of diesel in a year. We had been using a supplier, started having issues with gelling ( years ago before ulsd) . Supplier when questioned said they were using an additive but would not tell us what kind. We shopped around and switched. 

I really liked the delivery guy who lives ten miles from here but we switched anyways

2 minutes ago, bitty said:

really liked the delivery guy who lives ten miles from here but we switched anyways

Same here. Became friends with two women that worked behind the counter. But we switched anyway as well. 

21 hours ago, red tractor fever said:

Here's another one that happened to me probably 10+ years ago. Was checking my truck over after a bad snow storm. Was gonna go the next day. Discovered two rear wheel seals leaking. Called the shop I WAS using at the time. Politely asked if I should bring it right away or in the morning. They said BRING IT IN. So I did. In this area wheel seals are approximately $150 a throw. So the bill should've been $300 bucks give or take. Got the bill, $430. So I politely inquired what was up. Found out the mechanic couldn't find the wheel bearing socket. So we got charged full shop time for the mechanic to look for the tools. Shop manager refused to give us anything back. No credit on the next job. Absolutely nothing, not one cent back. I haven't been back there either. He could've given us $20.00 bucks off whatever we needed next and I'd have been happy. But when he dug his heels in so did I. And I was loyal to this place to. But that didn't matter to him so I moved on. 

Wouldn't that have exceeded the labor hours allowed by shop book? That's nuts they would do somebody that way and tell the customer they were being charged to look for lost tools.

• Thanks 1