Sign in to follow this  
hobbyfarm

Ford USN industrial Tractor?

A neighbor put this out for sale today.  Is this a Navy industrial tractor?  On the sign it says 1965 Ford 4000.  Do you think this is a rare one?  The tack says 1800 hours. I only glanced for a second but it is gas and looked like a select o speed with 1 remote 3pt and pto.  Power steering too. I didnt have time to talk to him.  What are your thoughts? 

20180719_170604.jpg

20180719_170638.jpg

I always liked those old fords of that era but cant tell you any thing about them you dont already know...

Not rare.

I have a 1965 4400 which is an industrial 4000. I know very little about Fords, but  that in not a 4000.

Look at the chrome grill piece at the front of the hood and the placement of the select o speed decal. That is the early version of the ford 4000. The early 4000 was a 4 cylinder and the late version was a 3 cylinder and yes, it did have different sheet metal. 

20 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Look at the chrome grill piece at the front of the hood and the placement of the select o speed decal. That is the early version of the ford 4000. The early 4000 was a 4 cylinder and the late version was a 3 cylinder and yes, it did have different sheet metal. 

It was a 4 cylinder.  Tomorrow evening I will check out the serial tag and see what it says.  The property owner is a super nice.   Not sure if it is his or not.  I have never seen it outside before.

11 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

It was a 4 cylinder.  Tomorrow evening I will check out the serial tag and see what it says.  The property owner is a super nice.   Not sure if it is his or not.  I have never seen it outside before.

Yes early model 4000 made between 62 and 65. sometime during 65 they put out a redesigned 4000 that is what most of us are familiar with. I believe that the gear models had a 2 stage clutch to have live  PTO and the SOS had IPTO.

The SOS transmission when properly adjusted is supposed to be a good transmission BUT parts are nearly impossible and finding someone who knows how to work on them is difficult at best. I can think of 1 guy in a 100 mile radius who knows about and will work on a SOS. 

Now they made about 37-38,000 of those 62-65 4000s. Don't know how many SOS models but I would bet under 15K. By 62 Ford had been producing the SOS transmission at lest 3 or 4 years. Farmers were not impressed.  Big problem was the adjustments and such that had to be done by the book. For most farmers in that day that meant a trip to the dealer and PAYING for service. Most farmers remembered the Depression and didn't waste money on new fangled things they didn't really need.

Today it's not uncommon to find an SOS tractor what's had the rear end swapped out for a gear tranny.

If it's really a Navy tractor it should have a data tag on it somewhere with the Mil Spec and national stock number on it.

Rick 

Looks to be an early 4000, which was just a rebadged 8_1.  Good little machines, parts readily available (I don't know about for the trans, though).  Never seen a gov'ment one though.  That, to me, makes it interesting and desirable.  Can you get pictures of the front axle and also of the hitch, so we can see if they are the same as an ag machine or different?

Thanks for all the info. Mine is a 3 cyl. with totally different sheet metal. I never knew there was an early and a late version. I stand corrected.

48 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Looks to be an early 4000, which was just a rebadged 8_1.  Good little machines, parts readily available (I don't know about for the trans, though).  Never seen a gov'ment one though.  That, to me, makes it interesting and desirable.  Can you get pictures of the front axle and also of the hitch, so we can see if they are the same as an ag machine or different?

I'd bet the same. Lots of stuff like that were bought with grounds maintenance being the primary mission. Like mowing the perimeter of an airfield or other large areas. But the time that 4000 was built almost all, if not all tugs to move aircraft were bobtails (modified pickups) or factory made tugs. 

Interestingly the US Army changed all that when they changed how they operated airfields for choppers. They came up with FARPs (forward area  refueling/rearm points). Using fuel blivets (rubber bags of fuel) they could chopper into almost anywhere close to the front lines and set up stations to refuel and rearm choppers cutting travel time to and from missions. They needed a tool that could help them move in, be used as a fork lift, dig defensive position and build revetments for fuel and ammo and tow aircraft as needed. They wound up buying JD Compact MWFA tractors. Provided them with mowing decks, brush cutters, loaders, 3 point backhoes and such. They were in the inventory  in 1996 when I retired.

Rick   

Compared to the European 4000 it has te wrong rear axle. It has the rear axle of a 3000. Early 4000's had  6 wheelbolt on the rear wheel.

7 hours ago, oldtanker said:

I'd bet the same. Lots of stuff like that were bought with grounds maintenance being the primary mission. Like mowing the perimeter of an airfield or other large areas. But the time that 4000 was built almost all, if not all tugs to move aircraft were bobtails (modified pickups) or factory made tugs. 

Interestingly the US Army changed all that when they changed how they operated airfields for choppers. They came up with FARPs (forward area  refueling/rearm points). Using fuel blivets (rubber bags of fuel) they could chopper into almost anywhere close to the front lines and set up stations to refuel and rearm choppers cutting travel time to and from missions. They needed a tool that could help them move in, be used as a fork lift, dig defensive position and build revetments for fuel and ammo and tow aircraft as needed. They wound up buying JD Compact MWFA tractors. Provided them with mowing decks, brush cutters, loaders, 3 point backhoes and such. They were in the inventory  in 1996 when I retired.

Rick   

Should add, the US Army compacts were small enough to sling load under a Black Hawk. The could chopper in a FARP team (fuel and ammo guys and a few mechanics and it's security (perimeter guards)) anyplace with a compact tractor and they were in business. And if the location of a FARP gets compromised they can air lift it out to a new location and be back up and running in no time. The FARP could give a chopper anywhere from 15 minutes to another hour on station either carrying troops/supplies or shooting up bad guys. 

Rick

4 hours ago, BartVD said:

Compared to the European 4000 it has te wrong rear axle. It has the rear axle of a 3000. Early 4000's had  6 wheelbolt on the rear wheel.

Wonder why the bigger tractor would have 6 bolt hubs and the 3000 8 bolt?

Rick

The tractor was gone today.  I called the number and talked to the owner.  He had it out of the shed and thought he would let it sit by the road just for a day. He said he had tried advertising it a few times and has had no one intersted. Im going to visit him one day next week to get a closer look and will get some more pics.  He thinks hours are original.  Fluid in rear tires that is starting to leak out at valve stems.  Also the park on the select o speed doesnt work all the time.  He is saying there is no other manual park lock or brake. On a positive note he is saying it runs drives and shifts 100% with no smoke or noises.  Ill try to get some more pics up next week.  I want to look at the serial plate and any other evidence of it being a navy tractor.

52 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

The tractor was gone today.  I called the number and talked to the owner.  He had it out of the shed and thought he would let it sit by the road just for a day. He said he had tried advertising it a few times and has had no one intersted. Im going to visit him one day next week to get a closer look and will get some more pics.  He thinks hours are original.  Fluid in rear tires that is starting to leak out at valve stems.  Also the park on the select o speed doesnt work all the time.  He is saying there is no other manual park lock or brake. On a positive note he is saying it runs drives and shifts 100% with no smoke or noises.  Ill try to get some more pics up next week.  I want to look at the serial plate and any other evidence of it being a navy tractor.

The actual Ford serial number should be on the bell housing above and behind the starter http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/6/262-ford-4000.html and scroll down to the serial # info. There is a link that will show you a photo of the serial # location. Where the Navy data tag would be I don't know. Would be a very cool tractor to own if it had been a Navy tractor!

Rick

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:38 PM, oldtanker said:

Wonder why the bigger tractor would have 6 bolt hubs and the 3000 8 bolt?

Rick

No idea, the later 4000's had 8 bolts.