Diesel Doctor

RFD Delivery??????????????

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

Except???????

USPS has stopped delivering mail to my sisters RFD box at her farm. The current mailman has been complaining for years about the height of her mailbox. He drives a small car and she has a GMC 2500 4X4.  He even, without her consent, came and cut the post down to a height he liked. The snow plow got that post so she put in a new one and set the floor of her box at 45 inches, the maximum height as prescribed by the USPS website. The mailman complained with notes twice and she blew it off since it is within the USPS guidelines. She then got notice that on July 6th, her service would be stopped unless she lowered her box by 8 inches. 8 inches would lower her box floor to 37 inches with is less than the minimum height of 41" as set by the USPS website. She has a large box that is 15 inches high from floor to top.

She spoke with Postmistress who is standing by her decision. She now has to go to PO to get her mail and just received a certified letter that on July 21st, she will either need to open a PO Box in town or her mail will be returned. Sister informed Postmistress that the height was set to the height as described on the USPS website. she was told that the mailbox will gladly be lowered when she is furnished with the  written requirements as set by the USPS. Sister has a "Postmaster General Approved" mailbox that has stood at our farm for over 60 years. No complaints about the height of this mailbox were received until this mailman.  She has tried to talk with someone higher up but cannot get anyone to answer a phone in Sioux Falls or she is to put her complaint in writing and expect a reply in 4-6 weeks. Sister he will be discussing this with our Congresswoman. The Postmistress believes she is right in requiring the change for the easy of delivery and ergonomics of the mailman. Someone higher needs to settle this matter and sister will live with the decision but she is now in compliance and without service. She just wants a reasonable explanation. She feels this not too much to ask. Service to the customer is apparently dead at USPS too.

PS: The USPS now wants people to put up a Next Generation mailbox to accept bigger packages. The dimensions on this are: 13.63′ WIDE x 7.75′ TALL ON SIDES, 12" TALL AT CENTER x 16.5′ DEEP. This is bigger to accept all the priority packages you will be ordering.

If she in a rural area, its most likely delivered by an 'indepentent contractor' not an actual USPS government employee.

If that said I.C. needs to make an 'unreasonable effort' to get the mail in, or out of the box, they can refuse delivery/pickup at the location.

Sister will need to change the height to acomadate  the carrier.

Welcome to the "world of bureaucracy"------------where common sense is too simple to make any sense.

DD

I hate the mail anyway, I say......Don't tread on Me.   Where's Art??

Wouldn't it have been easier when it all started just to talk to the mail man and ask him what height he wanted the box to make him happy and not specs laid out on a website. When she started calling his superiors I would say she pi$$ed in her pickles. He wasn't happy before and for sure not now and never will be.

• Like 2

I had a similar problem when I moved here 30 years ago. They wouldn't deliver my mail because I was 1 tenth mile past required travel distance. Friend of mines mother worked in a major city post office and she gave me a number in Washington DC to call. Once I made the call and the wheels started turning, I was getting my mail in about 2 weeks. A week later we got a new carrier and also a new local postmaster. I must have hit a nerve and walls tumbled. 

Jerry

• Like 1

I'm sure your sister would do something reasonable to help another person out, seems like she could do the same for the mailman.

Posted (edited)

Tell your sister to deliver mail to 3-400 boxes every day, and than you’ll see why the mail carrier wants it at a certain height. 

Seems to me the inconvenience of going to town would be greater than changing the box height, but maybe not?

Also, it’s been 7-8 years since I’ve delivered mail, but I think rfd boxes are considered federal property  and not private property therefore giving the carrier authorization to change the box height to his preferences at his expense ( aka time and effort) and not your sisters. 

I think perhaps your sister needs to speak directly to the carrier and not get her panties in a wad, (no offense intended)

I too left plenty of notes officially asking people to please fix their mailboxes, if they didn’t, I was no longer required to deliver their mail until they did or they got a PO box( guess this makes me an a-hole, but I’ll refer you back to my previous statement, deliver to 3-400 boxes everyday and you’ll know why!

Carrying mail isn’t a glamorous job, and you wouldn’t believe the bureaucracy that is the post office.

Edited by Ihfan4life
Added last paragraph
  • Like 1

Had the same mail lady make me move my mailbox 3 times. Whiners!!

Shoot! My box is on the ground as much as it`s on the post and my guy brings mail back the 1/4 mile driveway many times.

BUT of course there is always  a nice money card and pair of gloves left for him at Christmas too...

as the saying goes, honey and vinegar...

Good luck getting this resolved. Life is short people. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, red211 said:

I hate the mail anyway, I say......Don't tread on Me.   Where's Art??

I don't have too much, note that I did not say ANY, problem(s) with the post office.  Sometimes they don't put the flag down, but other than that, not much, other than too many bills come with my name on them.

I have delivered Bushfire Advices for our  bushfire brigade, I actually felt like running over 80% of the mailboxes.

1 hour ago, Art From DeLeon said:

I don't have too much, note that I did not say ANY, problem(s) with the post office.  Sometimes they don't put the flag down, but other than that, not much, other than too many bills come with my name on them.

Category = sins -

Not putting the mailbox flag down > not putting the toilet seat down OR not putting the toilet seat down > not putting the mailbox flag down?

I gotta ask, while I personally haven't had trouble with rural mail "here" other than not getting mail when it rains alot (bad roads) if that particular driver doesn't like the height because of the car he chose to deliver in, what's gonna stop a different driver or temporary/fill-in from saying that they want the box higher? I understand some of the points made but seems she's following the rules laid out by management. As far as what's easier for someone who delivers 300-400 addresses a day, they knew what the job was when they applied for it and it would have been easy to check out what the regulation height was when that particular driver decided to use a small car. No sympathy from me there. If he decided to use a jacked up 4x4 would you have to raise the box? Not trying to be a prick but seems like everyone involved knew what the situation was when they got involved, whether the recipient and how high the box must be and the delivery driver on what the height regulations are. I'd keep contacting higher and higher management and asked them who makes the rules? Them or independent contractors? I'd raise cane, after all the squeaky wheel gets the oil. If not, tell your sister to tell them that since his arm is too short since he's in a little car that suddenly her arm is too short to reach deep enough in her pockets to be able to get enough money to pay for the shipping that USPS is charging these days but it will reach far enough to pay for Fedex, UPS, etc. See what their response will be then.

3 hours ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

I gotta ask, while I personally haven't had trouble with rural mail "here" other than not getting mail when it rains alot (bad roads) if that particular driver doesn't like the height because of the car he chose to deliver in, what's gonna stop a different driver or temporary/fill-in from saying that they want the box higher? I understand some of the points made but seems she's following the rules laid out by management. As far as what's easier for someone who delivers 300-400 addresses a day, they knew what the job was when they applied for it and it would have been easy to check out what the regulation height was when that particular driver decided to use a small car. No sympathy from me there. If he decided to use a jacked up 4x4 would you have to raise the box? Not trying to be a prick but seems like everyone involved knew what the situation was when they got involved, whether the recipient and how high the box must be and the delivery driver on what the height regulations are. I'd keep contacting higher and higher management and asked them who makes the rules? Them or independent contractors? I'd raise cane, after all the squeaky wheel gets the oil. If not, tell your sister to tell them that since his arm is too short since he's in a little car that suddenly her arm is too short to reach deep enough in her pockets to be able to get enough money to pay for the shipping that USPS is charging these days but it will reach far enough to pay for Fedex, UPS, etc. See what their response will be then.

Agree. If she is following the rules the USPS set she has done what she was supposed to do. If the carrier and postmaster can't do there job they should be replaced by someone who can. If she were to change it to suit the carrier what's to keep the next one from coming along and saying it's too short. Doesn't meet the regulations. 

X3

We had a carrier years ago who maintained the boxes on his route like he was maintaining a fleet of trucks. Kept numbers on them all, fixed rotten posts, kept the doors and flags oiled, everything! He would sometimes ask folks if he could change the height of the box (he drove a car) but he always put the boxes within postal regs, and always asked permission first.  A few years ago he ended up on a different route. He then spent his days off for the next too months working on all those boxes! But he said the time difference in running a route where all boxes “work correctly” made the extra effort more than worth it. Course, this same guy sharpened his lawn mower blades every single week, so maybe he was a bit particular...

Yep ! Had the same problem after my box was destroyed . Put in a new plastic one with 4x4 post it was too short . They stopped delivery . 

My nieighbor and the mailman got into a huge battle about driving on the grass to go to the next mailbox about 100 yards away .he put wooden post down so the mailman could not drive on his grass . ? Well it not really from the center of that road it's 30 feet . 

Any way the they had a feud going ,still has the post there. But he mows it ? A lot of extra work ,but he makes the time. 

Well at least none of us have the mail man from the show "Funny Farm"

have a problem with the mail here the lady carrier is the best nicest lady carrier we have ever had but the Sub is not worth a darn. He used to be the superintendent on the local irrigation canal and was dismissed and now he is our substitute mail carrier with a lot of axes to grind with some of us farmers. When i get my pills from the town 40 miles away he will not leave in the pickup seat or in between the screen and front door he hangs it on the front of the mail box in a plastic bag. She has tole him that is a big no! no!. With all the druggies and all it is bad in rural areas and ours is no exception. She is off for 4 days this week. She is going to tell him again and the postmaster. If it happens i will take a picture and send it to the carrier and let her deal with it i guess.  

Listening to all of this, I think our carriers are great.  They bring packages to the house if they won't fit box, etc.

We get our mail at the end of a county road, and it branches in 2 directions with 5 mail boxes there.  Several years ago we all got notices about the mailboxes needing to be within certain height ranges, which most of them, including mine, were not.  I think everyone on the rout got the notice, not just us. Maybe all the routs in town.   I talked to the neighbors, and we removed the individual posts.  One had some left over building materials and provided cedar posts and treated 2x8.  2 of them drilled holes and set the posts, then helped me set the plank and braces, and I mounted the boxes on the plank.  It all worked out great and looks a lot better.  Yes, I have great neighbors.

We must have an exception..... he will bring packages and put them on the porch or inside the shed. If a package or letter needed extra postage, he pays it and then puts a note along with the mail. Same as if the wife orders stamps.  She just leaves a note that she needs a roll and the next day there will be a roll of stamps with a note saying how much. I've seen him deliver mail when he should have been home sick in bed, and I've seen him walk 100 yards to my mail box because the snow was blocking the road.  20 years and not a complaint.

12 minutes ago, dads706 said:

We must have an exception..... he will bring packages and put them on the porch or inside the shed. If a package or letter needed extra postage, he pays it and then puts a note along with the mail. Same as if the wife orders stamps.  She just leaves a note that she needs a roll and the next day there will be a roll of stamps with a note saying how much. I've seen him deliver mail when he should have been home sick in bed, and I've seen him walk 100 yards to my mail box because the snow was blocking the road.  20 years and not a complaint.

You and I have pretty much the same type of carrier.  I've had mine leave me a note saying that I used an older stamp and she added the extra postage rather than return it to me and slowing delivery down.  She didn't ask for me to repay her and yea, it was just a few cents, but can bet the house that I did along a note of "Thanks".

15 hours ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

The carrier that is assigned to the route has the decision making abilities about box height, interference, box condition, that sort of thing. Some carriers don’t care, others are picky s-o-b’s. The substitute carrier can not leave you ( or should not leave you) an official  note telling you to change something their not happy with. 

As to part 2 of your question; unless the carrier is really being an s-o-b here, the postmaster would probably make this decision and not “ higher up the chain of command” The postmaster I worked under would usually go look at the box in question and make an informed decision. 100% of the time, she had my back😉 

Slide apipe into a pipe to make it telescopic for the midget driver and adjust when the next deliverer is hired. Problem solved without disturbing the swamp