T.B.O.P.

IHRunner

Runner, can you recommend a decent but not outrageously priced scope for a Savage Model 12 Heavy Barrel Varmint stainless with a fluted barrel in .223?  Maybe a 6x26 or something like that.  Right now it is wearing a 34 power Weaver, but if I buy it it will be without scope.  I will be using it for target and some long range groundhogs.  The seller is an ex 1000 yard shooter (not with this particular gun though) who has had the stock worked, a comp recoil lug installed and had the accu-trigger worked.  He has only shot moly coated match loads through it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Runner, can you recommend a decent but not outrageously priced scope for a Savage Model 12 Heavy Barrel Varmint stainless with a fluted barrel in .223?  Maybe a 6x26 or something like that.  Right now it is wearing a 34 power Weaver, but if I buy it it will be without scope.  I will be using it for target and some long range groundhogs.  The seller is an ex 1000 yard shooter (not with this particular gun though) who has had the stock worked, a comp recoil lug installed and had the accu-trigger worked.  He has only shot moly coated match loads through it.

What price range would ye like? Give me your max price.

Adding to my list of "stuff that gets me made fun of for eating"

Turtle. Rabbit. Snake. Squirrel. Beaver. Frogs. A crapload of others I've shown me cooking. And today.....

20210425_192935.thumb.jpg.8679f0d5733572fece29d3388debf808.jpg20210425_185505.thumb.jpg.b10e93725a453266217a7e50ae814f66.jpg20210425_183300.thumb.jpg.d693274385f124ecdfa1cc09d6496ee6.jpg

9 minutes ago, BoilerRed said:

Poor man's squab.  That'll set you back a pretty penny in a fancy restaurant.

And I'm indeed Irish which is how I learned about pigeon as a game animal.

13 minutes ago, IHRunner said:

And I'm indeed Irish which is how I learned about pigeon as a game animal.

The question is, how far away when you took the shot?  I'm guessing a scatter gun wasn't challenging enough for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BoilerRed said:

The question is, how far away when you took the shot?  I'm guessing a scatter gun wasn't challenging enough for you.

How did ye know? Lol. 75 yards. Savage 64 takedown. He was on my grain bin with a few rock dove breeds of piggens as well. I legged one. Necked another. Not my best shoostin. But we got em. After I chased the one I legged for 20 mins lol

• Haha 1

On 4/25/2021 at 8:32 PM, IHRunner said:

Adding to my list of "stuff that gets me made fun of for eating"

Turtle. Rabbit. Snake. Squirrel. Beaver. Frogs. A crapload of others I've shown me cooking. And today.....

20210425_192935.thumb.jpg.8679f0d5733572fece29d3388debf808.jpg20210425_185505.thumb.jpg.b10e93725a453266217a7e50ae814f66.jpg20210425_183300.thumb.jpg.d693274385f124ecdfa1cc09d6496ee6.jpg

Frog legs is common cuisine down here, sold in every respectable fish house and seafood restaurant. And yes the legs will kick around a little in the pan. Rabbit is great if deboned, breaded and fried like chicken strips. Squirrels are thrown into a vegetable like stew, head and all. Squirrel brains are often ate whole chilled. I can still remember my Grandmother cracking squirrel  skulls open with a table spoon and scooping out the chilled brains out to eat whole when I was a kid. Turtle soup is not that uncommon still around here, especially among the old timers if someone brings them up a 50-100lb alligator snapping turtle but beginning to be a lost art. Have tried it twice, had no complaints. Never ate a pigeon, we have too many doves to have to try pigeons but maybe I'm missing something.   Ate beaver two ways, grilled and in the wild. Grilled was pretty good with the seasoning, in the wild is much better but usually takes more effort in the catch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...