560Dennis

Helicopters :Moving Eastbound along Lake Erie

Flight of the Valkyries .

i was driving north to get on i90 this morning and I saw six mil choppers fly in formation east along the Lake Erie . I instantly thought of apocalypse now with that flight of the Valkyries . 

Wondered,  boy that is weird ,never seen that ! 

Stay tuned , check with in with Randy on what's happening ? All so wanted to ask Randy about this ?

Randy are they flying any Blackbirds over here ? 

I heard one take off from Dayton once many years ago. I never forgot that sound ! Or the ground shaking atmosphere ripping . 

Last month I heard one (sounded like ) flying over the house ? Sounded like thunder loud and long for several minutes. 

This the second time . Always at night or dusk, can't see it. 

All the Blackbirds are parked .Satelites made them obsolete .Very expensive to operate and had thousands of feet of film to deal with taking hours to process when they got back.Nobody ever shot it down !Kelly Johnson  hit a home run with that one !Not positive but I do not think they have anything that  can outrun it even today .

Did it look like this? These flew over today heading west across Lake Ontario

25EB2FF4-B8F8-41DA-B607-187C5F8E670C.jpeg

2 hours ago, Vanstractors said:

Not positive but I do not think they have anything that  can outrun it even today .

That the public is aware of anyway.

3 hours ago, Vanstractors said:

All the Blackbirds are parked .Satelites made them obsolete .Very expensive to operate and had thousands of feet of film to deal with taking hours to process when they got back.Nobody ever shot it down !Kelly Johnson  hit a home run with that one !Not positive but I do not think they have anything that  can outrun it even today .

There were many upgrades to the sensor suite during the life of the Blackbird fleet, and no reason whatsoever why they couldn't have been transitioned to more modern digital stuff instead of that film.  The REAL reason they were expensive to operate was because the tanker support to keep them air-refueled all around the globe was massive, and they couldn't do anything without the gas multiple times on every sortie.  (And with lots of redundant tankers, only the KC-135Q variant was equipped to handle the Blackbird's JP7 fuel and they couldn't risk losing a Blackbird because a tanker broke and there wasn't a spare to pass the gas.)   All of this happened under the umbrella of SAC, and SAC hated things that diverted funding from their bombers.

5 minutes ago, clay neubauer said:

during the life of the Blackbird fleet

Clay, thanks much for that stuff/reply!  Been just'a perusing all the replies here and concur, we used to have one parked up at the MSP Air Guard's museum (static display) but they (USAF) came and moved it to Wright-Patt at Dayton (IIRC).  And yup, that special fuel and the tanker requirements were a large part of what killed the program.

One memory I have of it was when I went over to Farnborough (London) for their airshow one year (1974 ? meb'be) and they announced over the loudspeakers that one had just left the east coast of the US, seemed like a very short time later and I watched it land.  And towed into a hanger out of sight  - right now!!!

best, randy

Ok , what do we have , that make a sound like thunder on a clear day/ night that's doing training that flys over north east Ohio? 

It stop my son and I , once and me and his wife ,what's that thunder! You can feel it ., 560Dennis is not hearing things and I don't take meds 

is it an osprey ? 

6 hours ago, ChrisNY said:

Did it look like this? These flew over today heading west across Lake Ontario

25EB2FF4-B8F8-41DA-B607-187C5F8E670C.jpeg

how many is that ?  

only six in this mission ? 

1 hour ago, 560Dennis said:

how many is that ?  

only six in this mission ? 

25 I believe. It sounded like thunder. Friend of mine in Buffalo area said some stopped there to refuel so the group may have split up into smaller groups. They most likely left from here at Fort Drum

6 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

Ok , what do we have , that make a sound like thunder on a clear day/ night that's doing training that flys over north east Ohio? 

It stop my son and I , once and me and his wife ,what's that thunder! You can feel it ., 560Dennis is not hearing things and I don't take meds 

is it an osprey ? 

Was it a sonic boom?  We recently had a mysterious boom in our area.   Wouldn’t doubt that we are testing something secret.

Hey ! hey heres my theory ! Ya want here what I think after talking to my brother in Phoenix . 

He sayes they are testing the new F-35 s down there ! They sound like that ! 

So that makes me think it one of those S F-35 on a training mission .

Putting on both after burners 

Tried to remove

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:53 AM, 560Dennis said:

is it an osprey ? 

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:53 AM, 560Dennis said:

Those Hercs out of Vienna are pretty dang loud. I catch them and the ones out of the 911th at PIT.

On July 14, 2018 at 6:12 PM, 560Dennis said:

Hey ! hey heres my theory ! Ya want here what I think after talking to my brother in Phoenix . 

He sayes they are testing the new F-35 s down there ! They sound like that ! 

So that makes me think it one of those S F-35 on a training mission .

Putting on both after burners 

35 is single engine, and yes it is LOUD up close.  Herks, Ospreys, and Chinooks all have a very distinct sound, we get them all through here at low altitude from time to time.  (Not the F-35 locally though!)

F-35Afterburner.jpgVerticaltakeoff.jpg

Probably saw the same six choppers you did, around 11:30AM, headed East out of Rochester. Three Blackhawks, and three Chinooks, I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Probably saw the same six choppers you did, around 11:30AM, headed East out of Rochester. Three Blackhawks, and three Chinooks, I think.

Makes sense , about the right time from here painesville to Rochester