Sign in to follow this  
IHRedDrive

IH TD-25

Saw this today at the Penfield Historic Farm Days show. They feature construction equipment in addition to farm machinery. 

A friend of mine bought one from the local power plant they used it to push coal it had an 11'x 22' blade on it .

For those who don't know, that dozer is a museum piece.   A few  years back I had the opportunity of talking to the owner who was at the Penfield I&I show.  If I remember correctly this dozer had 200-400 actual hours.   It was bought new by the U.S. Air Force and used very little on the near by Chanute Air Force base.   It is in very pristine condition.  Truly a peek at what this thing looked like when it came from the factory.

Maybe someone who has more information will be able to share with us.

GT&T

Good old tractors. IH 817 motor is the best starting engine I’ve ever seen. I wish they’d have put it in the 4wd tractors instead of the V8. 

15 hours ago, GT&T said:

For those who don't know, that dozer is a museum piece.   A few  years back I had the opportunity of talking to the owner who was at the Penfield I&I show.  If I remember correctly this dozer had 200-400 actual hours.   It was bought new by the U.S. Air Force and used very little on the near by Chanute Air Force base.   It is in very pristine condition.  Truly a peek at what this thing looked like when it came from the factory.

GT&T

That's good info. They had three different operators while we were there, one explained how to operate it. Moved massive amounts of material. On top of the blade was an IH logo, looked almost new.

20 hours ago, GT&T said:

GT&T

If that’s the one from Chanute AFB, and I wouldn’t be suprised, it sat in a huge hanger made for the B-36 along with an entire fleet of equipment and all the new USAF heavy equipment mechanics, including yours truly, learned thier new trade on them. Lorraine Cranes,  Case W-24 loader, Landoll deicers, Fiat-Allis track loaders, Aircraft refueling equipment, Aircraft fire fighting trucks, and more

that TD-25 sat outside the break room, and we learned how to adjust clutches on it, all 10 of use set the clutches on that dozer.  Since it was hard on the concrete they never moved it much. 

Does anyone other than me find it relaxing to listen to them run, or watch them, either in person, or on You Tube in operation?

AK

That is the one.   I'm glad that you helped to fill in why they had this new dozer at Chanute Air Force base.   It was so large I couldn't imagine why they had it on a finished air base.   But now I know.   I'm so glad that the new owner was from the Penfield area and thought enough of it to preserve it and use it at the Penfield I&I show.   I get a great deal of pleasure just watching a "like  new original condition TD 25" .    I know of no where that you can duplicate this pleasure.    

Imagine what it would be like to see and operate a new  Farmall M,  a new 91 International combine,  or a New Idea 2 row mounted corn picker mounted on a new Farmall 400?

GT&T

GT&T.  

I think the only reason they quite using it is they closed Chanute in the mid 90’s and moved the schools elsewhere.  I don’t know how long that dozer sat there, but 20 plus years would not suprise me.  I was there in the winter of 90, I am pretty sure that some of my my Sargents worked on it in the late 70’s.   

If they check the plugs on the steering clutches, I bet they are worn like they have been out hundreds of times, which would link it all together 

the new tractor would be great, can you imagine if your Super C or 460 had a tight fast hitch?  

First quarry I worked at had one. What a suprise I got when the boss said we are gonna run this and I was expecting a cat. Looking back Im glad I had the chance at early 20 something. Ran good and moved a lot of material!