Sign in to follow this  
FarmerFixEmUp

Getting Buzzed Yesterday

Recommended Posts

I was out yesterday spraying my neighbor's soybeans and the corn field to the south of me was getting sprayed by a plane. I imagine fungicide was being applied. Got a few pictures and actually got the plane in them on all 4! That's kind of difficult when they're going that fast. One photo looks like the wheels are almost in the tassels! 

I used my 706 with the small sprayer because I don't have 20 GPA nozzles on my bigger sprayer which has my 1066 with cab and AC on it. These  are Liberty soybeans and that Liberty is some smelly stuff! I still smell it in my nose a day later. Need to get nozzles for the other rig if I need to spray it again to get out of that smell!

Sorry about the picture quality, it was pretty hot and steamy in the field. 100 plus heat index. 

I can't figure out how to zoom in and save a picture that way. Any pro advice? 

KIMG0772.thumb.JPG.f446de5c58e416bdddff9972d8c01d3b.JPGKIMG0773.thumb.JPG.063de02ba6ebe415172c1e70e68580a9.JPGKIMG0774.thumb.JPG.5a0b72bd1e54ffbdf5fbfc31a26f5c9d.JPGKIMG0775.thumb.JPG.2efa55ebc6d027e42aec8b21216260fc.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sioux city heat index yesterday was 107 or 110, can't remember my brain was melting and telling me to find AC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Ilooks like the wheels are almost in the tassels! 

That's how you can tell how high you are.  "Tickle the tassels".

best, randy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a woman that called into the local paper and complained about a pilot that kept flying over her apartment and making noise. She said she moved out to the country because she thought it would be quiet and the pilot should lose his license. I had to laugh when she was explaining the plane because I knew good and well it was a crop duster. We are getting a lot of them around here anymore

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Randy Sohn said:

That's how you can tell how high you are.  "Tickle the tassels".

best, randy

Brings up a question: is it "tassels or tossels"???

I did not grow up in corn country but in cotton country where corn was a rare commodity (not anymore)------but was always under the impression that:

Tossels applied to corn

and

Tassels applied to strippers (attire)????

I figured an old crop duster pilot like Randy would know-------("tickle the tassels-------hmmmmm!!!)🙄😁

 

DD

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Your description of tassels is more interesting though, Delta Dirt!
 
 
 
 
corn: parts of a corn plant
At the top of a mature corn plant is the tassel, the male part of the plant. Along the stalk are the leaves and the ears of corn, wrapped closely in husks. Hundreds of filaments, called silk, protrude from the top of each ear. These filaments are the female flowers. The roots spread deep into the soil.
© Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Delta Dirt said:

Brings up a question: is it "tassels or tossels"???

I did not grow up in corn country but in cotton country where corn was a rare commodity (not anymore)------but was always under the impression that:

Tossels applied to corn

and

Tassels applied to strippers (attire)????

I figured an old crop duster pilot like Randy would know-------("tickle the tassels-------hmmmmm!!!)🙄😁

 

DD

 

I had to google what you were talking about, won't make that mistake again!  Hehe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the clarification FarmerFixEmUp.  Good description of corn plant-----will swipe it to my files.

Uhhhh------I may have to do some research in an actual strip club to find the official nomenclature for those "things that the ladies wear".  They are definitely real interesting objects-------especially when they are rotating in opposite directions!!!!🤤

(All of my old crop dusting buddies were always fascinated with them-------and that was long before we started growing corn here in the Delta)

 

DD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Delta Dirt said:

Brings up a question: is it "tassels or tossels"???

I did not grow up in corn country but in cotton country where corn was a rare commodity (not anymore)------but was always under the impression that:

Tossels applied to corn

and

Tassels applied to strippers (attire)????

I figured an old crop duster pilot like Randy would know-------("tickle the tassels-------hmmmmm!!!)🙄😁

 

DD

 

Now just who would be looking at her boots?

Ron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

I had to google what you were talking about, won't make that mistake again!  Hehe

Don't lie 😁

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I told my wife everything I know I've read about in books!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

I told my wife everything I know I've read about in books!

Do you read braille? 😁

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny you guys bring this up. Jackson County every summer does fly overs with a helicopter scouting fields looking for Marijuana grow spots in fields. Yesterday happened to be one of those days. We went to bale hay and there was a helicopter flying around all over the place. It was doing wide circles around the whole area. My brother first wondered why they were flying in circles aimlessly about. At first I was clueless to until I remembered that the county does areal patrols for grow operations, then it made sense. 

 

Last year we had to have a areal application of insecticide to try to kill a massive infestation of Western Bean Cutworm in the corn. They lay their eggs on the upper leaves of the plant, hatch and the larvae travel down to the silks of the ear and eat the silks and then get into the ear behind the husks. Once in the husks there is nothing you can do. Us and everyone else in the area had a learning experience from the year before when they made their first appearance in our area. Everyone's corn that year was a basket case with damage, Diplodia, vomitoxin in everything. It was ugly to look at in the bin or truck. Last year it was bad again but everyone was ready and sprayed but planes were going nonstop for a week. This year knock on wood we haven't had a problem with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Funny you guys bring this up. Jackson County every summer does fly overs with a helicopter scouting fields looking for Marijuana grow spots in fields. Yesterday happened to be one of those days. We went to bale hay and there was a helicopter flying around all over the place. It was doing wide circles around the whole area. My brother first wondered why they were flying in circles aimlessly about. At first I was clueless to until I remembered that the county does areal patrols for grow operations, then it made sense. 

 

Last year we had to have a areal application of insecticide to try to kill a massive infestation of Western Bean Cutworm in the corn. They lay their eggs on the upper leaves of the plant, hatch and the larvae travel down to the silks of the ear and eat the silks and then get into the ear behind the husks. Once in the husks there is nothing you can do. Us and everyone else in the area had a learning experience from the year before when they made their first appearance in our area. Everyone's corn that year was a basket case with damage, Diplodia, vomitoxin in everything. It was ugly to look at in the bin or truck. Last year it was bad again but everyone was ready and sprayed but planes were going nonstop for a week. This year knock on wood we haven't had a problem with them.

Are you planting smartstax corn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought maybe you'd found this when you said you got buzzed. 

Screenshot_20180713-182849.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bdse25 said:

Are you planting smartstax corn?

Some. There is a lot planted around here but it didn't make a difference. Everyone had the infestation and damage in 2016 and everyone had to spray in 2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Brings up a question: is it "tassels or tossels"???

 

Tassels.  Be great if someone here who can type well would tell'ya 'bout the crews of summertime employed kids "detasseling" corn in the seed corn biz.

best, randy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Some. There is a lot planted around here but it didn't make a difference. Everyone had the infestation and damage in 2016 and everyone had to spray in 2017.

Interesting that it didn’t even make a difference. Around here that has eliminated the need for any aerial applications. We just spray warrior or fastac cs with ground rigs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Randy Sohn said:

Tassels.  Be great if someone here who can type well would tell'ya 'bout the crews of summertime employed kids "detasseling" corn in the seed corn biz.

best, randy

Been there, done that. The tassels are pulled out to make a certain cross to obtain the desired hybrid. You have a male and female population in the seed production fields. Corn will self-pollinate if left alone. The pollen is in the tassels (male) and the silks lead to what will eventually become the seed (female). Before this happens in the field the same type of thing is done by hand in a "nursery" run by corn breeders. Some are "selfed" (taking pollen from a plant and breeding that plant)  and some are "crossed" (taking pollen from one and breeding another). This is done over the course of about 7-8 years in two different hemispheres before you get a commercial hybrid with modern characteristics and traits. Not all varieties respond to traits the same. When I worked in the industry (peon) a breeder was considered successful if one in ten thousand tries became a commercially available hybrid. By this point there is a bery large amount of time and money invested in that hybrid. Add that to the trait rights purchased by that company from the owner of those traits and you get $300+ per bag corn. Clear as mud?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had some rice and beans (sounds like mexican food) sprayed today by helicopter.  We applied clincher and facet on the rice. The soybeans got glyphosphate and blazer. Here are some pics. Thx-Ace

 

tmp_9818-20180713_191214-173275092.jpg

tmp_9818-20180713_1836181384954121.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was 6 planes and 2 helicopters flying out of the local airport here a week ago. Was a good week to have a spray plane lol. Not much going on right around our farm but they were sure going hard after the rain about 30 miles away. Had one plane buzzing the house the other day only one so far though.

Fellow we know was spraying army worms in the canola last summer. We went out and did ours by ground but he happened to be spraying a field along the road while I was coming back home. I stopped at the intersection so he wouldn't have to dodge me as I was coming through. Snapped this pic of him while he was pulling up into the sun. I always get a kick out of watching them fly. Kind of a mini air show lol. I do have a lot of respect for them though. Not a easy job in my mind all what you're used to though I guess.

 

IMG_2407.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty hard to get decent photos of aerial spraying without a DSLR camera and the proper lenses (you probably don't want to know how many $$$$ are in my camera bag...)

 

602Kubal.JPG802-4.JPGMaxair-4.JPGagyuppie-10.JPGR44-2.jpgSprayingbeans.jpguntitled-7.jpguntitled-3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, clay neubauer said:

Pretty hard to get decent photos of aerial spraying without a DSLR camera and the proper lenses (you probably don't want to know how many $$$$ are in my camera bag...)

 

602Kubal.JPG802-4.JPGMaxair-4.JPGagyuppie-10.JPGR44-2.jpgSprayingbeans.jpguntitled-7.jpguntitled-3.jpg

I'm impressed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this