td9inidaho

5000 Swather lost all hydraulics

Hi, mid field, cutting and running fine when all of a sudden lost all forward, back movement  not even any by the steering. No whine or anything. Also lost lift lower function of the header. Also had tons of hydraulic fluid pouring out the side fill cap. What could be wrong?  Drive shaft still turns and all header functions work accept hydraulics. Am going to change filters, not excatly sure how this system works. I I know it's a series of pumps and hyd motors. Thanks for any and all suggestions as I am now in the middle of a field working on it

Mark

When my 5000 did that the charge pump died. It's a small vane pump on the front of the hydrostat drive. Good thing I had rebuilt my brakes as I was going up a steep hill.

Thanks for the reply. This 5000 has no brakes. It's all in the hydro system. So far after pulling everything apart. I have found the system to have air locked, and possibly that is why the hydro fluid was blowing out the fill plug. As it sits, there's no fluid in the reservoir. Will fill tomorrow. Pulled filters and they we're pretty much without oil. Any priming of the system to do or needs done?  Thanks for all help

The 5000 has a park brake and foot brake, same constricting band activated by the either pedal or the lever on the left side of the seat. I've not seen one without it. As to priming, when changing oil and filters I just start it up and let it run for a few minutes and the oil is circulated through the system.

Thanks for the information, I was of the understanding the hand lever on the side was to lockout the steering for parking, I have a hard time imagining how it will charge as all the lines and pumps are above the reservoir. Heading out today with more fluid to try and fill. Funny thing is, fill port is full of fluid to the cap, but when I pulled the plug from the reservoir, it was empty. Am thinking to extend the fill line to a higher point by adding a piece of pipe as that's all it is, a pipe and cap with holes drilled in it to vent. Will let all know how it goes when I fill it, that is after I put the driveline and charge pump back on it. My thoughts were an internal shaft must have been broke or?  As I see it, the charge pump must feed fluid internally?  Only lines I see coming/going to this front pump go to the hydraulics for the header

Thanks again

Mark

I just purchased a 2nd 5000 and there are differences between the two. The lower serial number machine does not have the foot brake to the right of the steering column just the hand brake to the left of the seat. The higher serial number machine does have a foot brake. The hyd filters are sit up different too. However that charge pump in front of the hydro pumps after it goes through the header valves does then charge the hydro pumps. I am guessing the newer machine is sit up the same way. I helped a friend this spring with his which is older yet then my older one and his was doing much the same as yours as he had lost all hyd functions. It ended up being the suction hose was bad to the charge pump. Hard as a rock and was not sealing around the fittings any more. He said the header had been jerky in lifting before it quite but that turned out to be a bad lift cylinder as it was still jerky once we got hyd's back working. If you think you might have broken a shaft inside the hydro pumps it is pretty easy to check if you have two people. Pull the two bolts that hold the charge pump in place and slide if forward enough to see the spline shaft and crank the motor over. Pull the shut off lever out so it will not start before you do. If you can see the shaft turning you should be able to rule out a broken shaft. I have some issues with the machine I just purchased but will start my own post so as to not high jack this one. 

Thanks everyone for all the replies, so far, after pulling the front charge pump off and apart, I found it to be a gear to gear pump as oil pumps are and functioning well. After reassembly, and hours of bleeding the system to find I was still getting air locked, I too found the main suction hose fitting had loosened and was sucking small amounts of air and once I worked along a slope to the right, the suction side of the reservoir was high and dry and left me without hydraulics. So far, it's all working well. Made a cple laps fine till I broke a master link on one of the augers. Will finished tomorrow. Again, thanks everyone, and hope this might help others in the future.

Mark

One thing I did find out was that the pump up at the front which I found to be a gear pump pumps pressure to the header hydraulics, then the bypass circuit goes to the hydraulics cooler back by the radiator, then back to the reservoir. The pressure return line goes directly to the reservoir. The machine I have has two suction lines, one for the front header pump, and the other to the two drive/steer pumps. I find it odd the suction lines come out the top of the reservoir and through the filters then to the pumps. I guess I am to assume the fittings welded to the reservoir must go at least half if not almost all the way to the bottom of the reservoir to suck fluid up. Again, thanks all for helping me try to understand this system. My first time dealing with a hydro system 

Mark