Sign in to follow this  
The Other Greg

Introduction and questions about IH trucks

Hi Everyone, 

Ironically enough, I have a cousin with the same first and last name as me, so in my family, I am called "Other Greg", looks it is the same here (first name only).

So here is my introduction. I am a 40 year old guy with a background in art- specifically sculpture. Up until 3 years ago I was a college prof. but gave it up to be a stay at home Dad. I have a mechanical bent and can with time can fix most things which is handy as well as a curse. Last year, my wife, twin daughters, and I just recently moved into an older home (1923) in the country it is a fixer upper and needs almost everything. I have replaced all the plumbing, all the waste/sewer lines, insulation, electrical...well you get the idea. Going into the deal we knew we had a hand dug well and it was less than productive. It seems even that was over exaggerated- I have a 4000 gallon water tank also, and have been paying for water quite steadily for months now.  It is eating into our budget quite rapidly. 

What brings me to the group. I have been researching trucks that can carry water and maybe also sand and fill. I have looked at Federal, Mack, White and have come to realize I like the Internationals very much. I have come across a few Loadstars 1600-1800 from 1950's- 1970's that I like very much for their classic lines but modern brakes. I have also fallen in love with a very nice KB-10 dump online but in speaking with the owner realized it may be too "elderly" for my needs. I plan to use a 1500 gallon poly tank as a slide in or frame mount depending on the truck I buy.

I love also the idea of an older truck. They just look nicer! Easy to work on! Something that is functionally basic and has some stylish lines (hence the KB series) but I also want something that is safe. The KB series has a brake system from what I gather is a bit antiquated and fades more readily than a more modern hydraulic setup, which in turn isn't as good as air. I have also been looking at old auction NY state trucks with diesel and hydro brakes, but cost is also a major factor. Its a hard sell I know-we are up against a rock and hard place right now and running out of water regularly. I possess a CDL and can drive a double clutch manual transmission as well. I was thinking of buying a dump as it would be handy for sand delivery here to bring up a slope (many many yards of sand) and slide in a 1500 gallon tank for the monthly water pickup. 

Just wondering what sort of trucks the group can recommend as well as the  issues with each of them. 

Thanks for adding me to the group,

The Other Greg

Depending on if your looking for a project or right away usability. Parts for old International trucks can be very scarce or no longer available. With some work and $$$ an older truck can always be fitted or upgraded with more modern and better parts, but it takes time. For right away use, I recommend something newer than a KB. Loadstars are good trucks, but some parts are scarce for them as well. Although they definitely aren't as stylish, I personally suggest a S-series or newer if your looking at Internationals