Sign in to follow this  
The Other Greg

Introduction and questions about IH trucks

Hi Everyone, 

Ironically enough, I have a cousin with the same first and last name as me, so in my family, I am called "Other Greg", looks it is the same here (first name only).

So here is my introduction. I am a 40 year old guy with a background in art- specifically sculpture. Up until 3 years ago I was a college prof. but gave it up to be a stay at home Dad. I have a mechanical bent and can with time can fix most things which is handy as well as a curse. Last year, my wife, twin daughters, and I just recently moved into an older home (1923) in the country it is a fixer upper and needs almost everything. I have replaced all the plumbing, all the waste/sewer lines, insulation, electrical...well you get the idea. Going into the deal we knew we had a hand dug well and it was less than productive. It seems even that was over exaggerated- I have a 4000 gallon water tank also, and have been paying for water quite steadily for months now.  It is eating into our budget quite rapidly. 

What brings me to the group. I have been researching trucks that can carry water and maybe also sand and fill. I have looked at Federal, Mack, White and have come to realize I like the Internationals very much. I have come across a few Loadstars 1600-1800 from 1950's- 1970's that I like very much for their classic lines but modern brakes. I have also fallen in love with a very nice KB-10 dump online but in speaking with the owner realized it may be too "elderly" for my needs. I plan to use a 1500 gallon poly tank as a slide in or frame mount depending on the truck I buy.

I love also the idea of an older truck. They just look nicer! Easy to work on! Something that is functionally basic and has some stylish lines (hence the KB series) but I also want something that is safe. The KB series has a brake system from what I gather is a bit antiquated and fades more readily than a more modern hydraulic setup, which in turn isn't as good as air. I have also been looking at old auction NY state trucks with diesel and hydro brakes, but cost is also a major factor. Its a hard sell I know-we are up against a rock and hard place right now and running out of water regularly. I possess a CDL and can drive a double clutch manual transmission as well. I was thinking of buying a dump as it would be handy for sand delivery here to bring up a slope (many many yards of sand) and slide in a 1500 gallon tank for the monthly water pickup. 

Just wondering what sort of trucks the group can recommend as well as the  issues with each of them. 

Thanks for adding me to the group,

The Other Greg

Welcome to the group. You might want to post this in the coffee shop also. 

Depending on if your looking for a project or right away usability. Parts for old International trucks can be very scarce or no longer available. With some work and $$$ an older truck can always be fitted or upgraded with more modern and better parts, but it takes time. For right away use, I recommend something newer than a KB. Loadstars are good trucks, but some parts are scarce for them as well. Although they definitely aren't as stylish, I personally suggest a S-series or newer if your looking at Internationals

If you want something to drive instead of fix and look for parts for, a freshly-retired well-maintained truck sounds about right. Maybe just get you a good F-550.

So heres an oddity. I came across an international pickup truck circa 1951 which had been transformed as a kit option by International into a one ton dually dump truck. has anyone else heard of this option? Also the very nice older gent who is the 2nd owner- mentioned it needs brake work- he has all the bits and pieces for it but cannot find someone to perform the work for him. Is this a problem. I am a good wrench but is there something with these that is challenging? Thanks!

A one ton won't handle 1500 gallons. A 3 ton is needed. I haul 1250 Canadian gallons on a 1997 Louisville ex-Coke semi, 3126 Cat and a 7 speed, single rear axle with a ten foot deck off a one ton truck. Handiest water truck I ever had! 15 MPG and drives like a pickup!

9 minutes ago, R Pope said:

A one ton won't handle 1500 gallons.

Maybe he should get a smaller tank and make more trips or put his tank on a trailer.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:14 PM, The Other Greg said:

So heres an oddity. I came across an international pickup truck circa 1951 which had been transformed as a kit option by International into a one ton dually dump truck. has anyone else heard of this option? Also the very nice older gent who is the 2nd owner- mentioned it needs brake work- he has all the bits and pieces for it but cannot find someone to perform the work for him. Is this a problem. I am a good wrench but is there something with these that is challenging? Thanks!

What model is the truck? I have seen statement like that where people called L -160s dually pickups when back in the day IH considered them the lightest off the 2-3 ton range of trucks.

Lots of L-130's had a steel box and fenders with dual style wheels, easy to hang another set of rims on the back and make a dually. Did it myself a few times. To look right you have to widen the fenders six inches or so.

So here we are again. I wanted to update. I have been up and back down the slippery slope of what will suit my needs as a water tanker and have decided the best course of action is to buy a water tanker! OK let me explain. I have recently been looking for the S series International as well as FL series Freightliners all diesel. What I do like is that they are younger and parts are plentiful. What I dont like is the same- they are not as stylish and cool as a vintage Loadstar.

So I have narrowed my search to the vintage fire tanker side of these machines. I like how they are mated with a tank and engine/brake combination that is acceptable and dialed in for that specific vehicle. Although I am wary of the reliability of brakes and engine from a track that old.

Also firetrucks spend all their years indoors and coddled and maintained and serviced regularly. I think for the 1960's model loadstars there are a few engine combinations, does a 300 cid fit that bill?

My question to the group is a bit of a travesty for the purists. I have a line on a very low mileage 130,000 mile cat diesel 3126 engine 240 HP from a Freightliner school bus. Its a runner that can be had cheap with all the trimmings including radiator and even front axle if i want it.

Is it realistic to swap this engine system and possibly a modern transmission and rear end into a 1960's Loadstar? I do like the ease of adjusting an all mechanical gasoline engine, but fear it will be a gas pig and may not have enough reliable power both starting and stopping. I suppose one could buy an airbrake and diesel bus, and place all Loadstar cab and chassis bits upon said bus and make it a "Freightstar"

What do you all think. Have I made you all as my enimies for suggesting such a thing? be kind I'm still a newbie here.

There are plenty of old fire trucks, but you don't want to spend any more money on them than you have to unless you can put a more useful body on them, so why not keep it original? 

Why not have a proper well put in?

Call a well driller, and consider the increase in your property  value, the resale value in the future, and the hassle you go thru now.

It sounds like you not only want a water truck, but a project as well. With time, a budget and tools, you can build just about any truck you like. An S-series would be the way to go. You can always put a loadstar cab on it in the future