Sdarmstrong

International Harvester UD 6 engine

Hi 

I have a Buffalo Springfield roller with a UD 6 engine in it . The serial number on the engine is UDBKM3941. When I bought it the head was not fitted to the block. It was stripped some 30 years ago by some one with I presume the intention of repairing a fault . The frost plugs seem to have blown in the head so I’m hoping this was the problem. In the meantime  I seem to be missing some parts . Namely 1 push rod , the head gasket , new frost plugs , distributor for the magneto , starter motor . All the parts were greased after stripping so I’m hoping the original fault was not considered terminal for the engine . Any thoughts or advice on where I might source the parts I’m after ? Also any thoughts or advice in general on the engine , likely problems, rebuilding it , getting it to run etc . Any Ideas welcome as I have never done a gas / diesel before . I’m in Ireland by the way . So ideally I’d like to source all parts from one company if possible to try get the shipping for a reasonable cost ! Thanks for reading this much ! 

Buy a WD6 and swap out the engine!

S D

Welcome to the forum.    Mr. Pope has a good idea.   To add to this,  the following tractors and or equipment would use many common parts.   Farmall MD,  Farmall Super MD,  ID 6,  TD 6,   400 Diesel,  450 Diesel.    Not all the parts would interchange but this will give you a few more sources to look for parts in a salvage yard.

When you are talking about  "a distributor for the magneto",  are you talking about the plastic cap that goes on the rear cover of the magneto?   That the spark plug wires plug into?    Steiner Tractor parts may have some new parts.

You also may also want to post this question on the Construction site on this forum.    There are a lot of very knowledgeable  people on the Construction forum that know the gas start diesels inside and out.

GT&T

On 7/13/2018 at 2:20 AM, GT&T said:

S D

Welcome to the forum.    Mr. Pope has a good idea.   To add to this,  the following tractors and or equipment would use many common parts.   Farmall MD,  Farmall Super MD,  ID 6,  TD 6,   400 Diesel,  450 Diesel.    Not all the parts would interchange but this will give you a few more sources to look for parts in a salvage yard.

When you are talking about  "a distributor for the magneto",  are you talking about the plastic cap that goes on the rear cover of the magneto?   That the spark plug wires plug into?    Steiner Tractor parts may have some new parts.

You also may also want to post this question on the Construction site on this forum.    There are a lot of very knowledgeable  people on the Construction forum that know the gas start diesels inside and out.

GT&T

The early TD-6 crawler tractor's engine is the most similar in regards to the plumbing, wiring and even the sheet metal to the UD-6 power unit. If you are talking to a salvage yard make sure you are asking for an early style TD-6 (four cylinder) crawler as the later ones had an unrelated 6 cylinder engine. 

Stored for 30 years I doubt the injector pump wioll be any good.

I’ve been offered a starter motor off a ud9 . Anyone know if it will my ud6 ? It’s in a different country so I can’t just give it a try ! It has the same number of bolts as mine should have .