Sign in to follow this  
560Dennis

Sold the Sandblaster

Recommended Posts

I sold this sandblaster to a local shop. 

Why ? Well I just can't justify the time and expense when I get just as good a results with a chemical removal and high pressure washer. 

Also the dust that permeates all over, the clean up,   the time to operate it, the maintenance , the air air compressor motor failure. 

Thats the short list of why I got rid of it. 

I find I get better results using a chemical rust de solve solution of white vineger and water. 

I went to big lots and got four gallons of white vinegar and mixed  it with four gallons of tap water and soaked the parts for three days .

i rinse it parts with water. 

Then I power washed them. Look at the photo of the soak and the power pressure wash, these were heavy corrode parts and they came out better than with the sandblaster.

Then I spayed them with primer . Q

i was so happy to see it go . I danced the Irish jig as it left . 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the chemical works good if you have 3 days to wait, those are impressive results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sold my blast cabinet a few months ago for same reasons.

Got half of what I paid for it new.

Got tired of everyone walking in and using it and me doing all the upkeep.

I did the same jig when it left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vinegar is Acetic acid.

 

If you want a better smelling but slower stripper try molasses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:05 PM, 560Dennis said:

I sold this sandblaster to a local shop. 

Why ? Well I just can't justify the time and expense when I get just as good a results with a chemical removal and high pressure washer. 

Also the dust that permeates all over, the clean up,   the time to operate it, the maintenance , the air air compressor motor failure. 

Thats the short list of why I got rid of it. 

I find I get better results using a chemical rust de solve solution of white vineger and water. 

I went to big lots and got four gallons of white vinegar and mixed  it with four gallons of tap water and soaked the parts for three days .

i rinse it parts with water. 

Then I power washed them. Look at the photo of the soak and the power pressure wash, these were heavy corrode parts and they came out better than with the sandblaster.

Then I spayed them with primer . Q

i was so happy to see it go . I danced the Irish jig as it left . 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I concur ! I have a big cabinet with commercial type vacuum .

   I have found its not with the time, irritation, dust breathing and shop infiltration , not to mention expense.

    I am fortunate to have a sand blasting / powder coater 10 miles from me and its cost effective to take everything there unless it just a small quickie thing that is needed asap. 

     I have about 5000.00 invested in my blaster and have to chalk it up to tuition. Worst investment in my shop. IMHO

     I'll probably keep it for a stray part but if your thinking about buying one, save your money and pay the guy that does it for a living !

      Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Worst investment in my shop. IMHO

ayup...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

 Worst investment in my shop. IMHO

ayup...

 

 

 Worst investment in my shop. IMHO

ayup...

Don't be to hard on yourself M , you got rid of it️And you got half price for it , that's  good! . That what ask for mine , took to photo for of it ti the sandblaster shop here he said ask half for it ,if not then you can come down ,I didn't have to come down ,

its gone , yess👍🏿

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! I wouldn't be without glass beads for the quick cleanup of small parts. My Pressure blaster, however, just sits because for the big parts, I'll pay the man $1.00/min to hit them with the big gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, New Englander said:

Wow! I wouldn't be without glass beads for the quick cleanup of small parts. My Pressure blaster, however, just sits because for the big parts, I'll pay the man $1.00/min to hit them with the big gun.

X2. The only way I would let mine go is if someone wanted to trade me for a Highwheeler or a slope nose. X10 on the pressure pot.

Dennis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a blast cabnet and we have a 300 lb pressure pot. I am a tight wad when I am working on my own stuff so I can stretch out the funds. We also have a Gardner Denver 750 CFM compressor for chasing pigs in the drag hose so I already got plenty of air compressor to be able to run the pressure pot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bitty said:

I have a blast cabnet and we have a 300 lb pressure pot. I am a tight wad when I am working on my own stuff so I can stretch out the funds. We also have a Gardner Denver 750 CFM compressor for chasing pigs in the drag hose so I already got plenty of air compressor to be able to run the pressure pot

That is a lot of air compressor, pushing a 8 inch pig?   That little piggy must really be in high gear when it hits the end of the run!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AKwelder said:

That is a lot of air compressor, pushing a 8 inch pig?   That little piggy must really be in high gear when it hits the end of the run!  

We can push out 2 5/8 miles of 6" hose. Starts around 4-500 GPM. Can climb above 2,000 GPM if I don't get them to shut down in time. The pig rips up more the faster it's going.

Guy we got the compressor from built and rebuilt water towers. He had up to three sandblasters running off the compressor at once. Had a bad 671dd engine we had to replace. I wish it was the cat 3306 engine instead of Mr Noisey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bitty said:

We can push out 2 5/8 miles of 6" hose. Starts around 4-500 GPM. Can climb above 2,000 GPM if I don't get them to shut down in time. The pig rips up more the faster it's going.

Guy we got the compressor from built and rebuilt water towers. He had up to three sandblasters running off the compressor at once. Had a bad 671dd engine we had to replace. I wish it was the cat 3306 engine instead of Mr Noisey

We hav had several eventful pig events over the years.  Pipes move, hoses burst, slugs and pressure.    Easy amount of force.  

 

I wish incould hear you about the Detroit, but we had them on the welders 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this