Sign in to follow this  
popo

Loadstar 1600 brakes dragging

Drove the 74 1600 today, 38,000 miles.  Went about 8 miles and decided the hand brake was not fully released, felt a slight drag.  It was not the hand brake but the rear brakes..slight drag.  I backed the adusterers off a little and things were fine and still had enough brake.  Went 25 miles, picked up 7 ton of 1 1/2 gravel, no drag and plenty of brake. 15 miles toward home and drag became noticable again, slowly increased, even though I did not touch the pedal in that time.  Did not dare stop going up a steep hill, got a bit of smoke when I stopped at the top.  Backed the adjusters off again and no further problems the next 7 miles home.  What the heck, adjusters tightening themselves too much?  Or pressure not releasing in the lines somewhere?  Any thoughts would be helpful, can't start taking thing apart for a week.  Thanks, Popo

Wheel bearing going out?  Can cause drum to tilt a little and drag a brake. Just a thought. 

The return hole in your master cylinder is maybe plugged seen it happen a lot. Won’t let fluid come back or wheel cylinders are sticking from rust. Which brakes are you adjusting back rears or fronts or all of them?

Not a wheel bearing.  This only happened to the rear brakes, pretty equal both sides.  I'll let you know what I find when I get a chance to investigate in few days.

POPO

On 7/11/2018 at 9:56 PM, dale560 said:

The return hole in your master cylinder is maybe plugged seen it happen a lot. Won’t let fluid come back or wheel cylinders are sticking from rust. Which brakes are you adjusting back rears or fronts or all of them?

Dale is referring to the compensating port in the brake master cylinder,  This port allows an opening for the brake fluid to return to the reservoir, to keep pressure from building up with temperature increases.   It also allows the fluid to refill the master cylinder after brake application to compensate for brake wear and or fluid loss.

If your brake pedal is not returning  freely, then the compensating port may not be open and then the fluid can build pressure in the line.    Check the pedal for being free and also the link rod for being loose on the pivot bolt.  Also make sure the link rod is not adjusted too long and holding the master cylinder piston in and thus closing the compensating port.   If all these things check out OK,  then I would suggest that the master cylinder piston could be held in the cylinder bore by corrosion or a swollen cylinder cup.

You  can check to be sure that the  compensating port is open by looking in the reservoir,  if the fluid is clean and clear.   It more than likely will be cloudy, so you will have to get a very small seal pick or dental pick.   Probe gently for the hole that is to the rear of the master cylinder.   This hole is very small but you can get a small pick in the hole if the piston isn't covering the hole, or the hole isn't plugged with trash.   

Remember that DOT 3 brake fluid is very hygroscopic  ( meaning it will easily absorb moisture ).   This moisture will cause corrosion  that will swell the cylinder bore and the the master cylinder return spring or wheel cylinder springs and  pistons may not be able to fully return.

Hope this helps, let us know how it turns out.

GT&T

If all wheels were having an issue, it could be the port in the master cylinder. But, since the problem seems to only be with the rear wheels, I would check the rubber hose from the frame to the rear axle. They can swell internally, allowing fluid to pass to the wheel cylinders under pressure from the master cylinder. but the brake shoe return springs are not strong enough to push it back out. And on more that one occasion, I have found a brake hose with an internal tear, creating a one way check valve that lets fluid in, but not back out.

3 hours ago, TRAVELETTE said:

If all wheels were having an issue, it could be the port in the master cylinder. But, since the problem seems to only be with the rear wheels, I would check the rubber hose from the frame to the rear axle. They can swell internally, allowing fluid to pass to the wheel cylinders under pressure from the master cylinder. but the brake shoe return springs are not strong enough to push it back out. And on more that one occasion, I have found a brake hose with an internal tear, creating a one way check valve that lets fluid in, but not back out.

You have a very good point.   Thanks for helping out.

GT&T