ihrondiesel

Guess I’m not completely worthless at 44

Helped Dad bale two loads yesterday, I lasted a load and a half, he finished the last half load. 25 years ago we did 12-15 loads this way, with three hayracks, and the baler never stopped (we had neighbors helping us unload & stack in the barn). But sheesh, I was shot after a load and a half. Can I blame it on 90 degrees and high humidity? Or is 44 as old as it sounded when I was 15?  Yep, I’m getting pretty dang soft for not feeling that old most days. 

36F6F4A2-D9C9-4B04-A472-01B7EE75677F.thumb.jpeg.7541d31b40ecc7e6778f6c9078b05341.jpeg560 diesel and 271 New Holland. Grandpa bought the 560 new in 1961. 

• Like 1

HA! That`s more work than MOST of today`s 15 yr olds can do!

Keep swinging IHRD!

• Like 4

Boy, it catches up to us fast don't it. I'm 42 and spent today installing some pipe in a big pond I just finished. 102F here this afternoon and I thought I was gonna have a heart attack by the time I got that pipe glued together. I was sure happy to be back on the machine with the ac on high. I didn't realize I was in such bad shape.

Yeah I hear ya...@ 40.  we load the same way and like the 2 wagons that hold 150 each.  Fortunately this year people came and unloaded as we baled and only had to touch once.  Brother in law brought football player a few years ago that lasted an hour and was 🤮.  He had better luck this year with his hired help.

32 minutes ago, TeachersPet1066 said:

Yeah I hear ya...@ 40.  we load the same way and like the 2 wagons that hold 150 each.  Fortunately this year people came and unloaded as we baled and only had to touch once.  Brother in law brought football player a few years ago that lasted an hour and was 🤮.  He had better luck this year with his hired help.

My cousin's now ex husband always liked to brag how great of shape he was because he played sports back in high school. One day he was going to help us unload and mow away hay in the barn. We have a thrower on our baler so Dad baled while, him, my brother and I unloaded hay at the barn. 

My brother and him went up in the mow while I unloaded the wagon and put them on the bale elevator to send them up. Normally the 2 in the mow 1 on the ground works great. The man on the wagon can put bales on the elevator as fast as he can and the 2 in the mow can keep up. Not that day. My brother had a rookie on his hands. I got the wagon half unloaded and all of a sudden I hear my brother yell "slow the  ---- down, he's not worth a $---. He's sitting on a bale breathing like he ran a marathon and he had probably only handled 25 bales. He didn't help the rest of the day. My brother and I continued on by ourselves that day. He admitted later at a family gathering that sports didn't have him in as good of shape as he thought and that the 3 of us were tougher than him when it came to that work.

• Haha 1

Ha that brings back memories for me also, years and years  ago we also used a 560 with a 430 IH baler my dad would ride the hay rack pulling the bales out of the baler chute stack them 5 high and we'd  usually get some extra help in the barns to help my grandpa usually a couple muscular High school boys that thought they had what it took to throw around afew bales while I unloaded the bales on the elevator About an hour or so later the two high school senior fellas were exhausted and said they had enough even thou they only handled every third bale working in the barn stacking hay was bad but having to only grab every third bale helped if you have guys that can stand the heat In two barns we stored hay we have big fans to circulate the air those made it bearable 

The craziest thing. Is we looked forward to hay season!

• Haha 1

Back in the middle 80's my cousin got a job unloading bananas. And it was manual labor. No forklift. He was working with some football players to. They were more muscular than my cousin. But he to could easily out work them. 

1 hour ago, exSW said:

The craziest thing. Is we looked forward to hay season!

Yeah, then, with eyes itching, wheezing form the dust, and muscles sore we wondered why.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I HANDED MANY HAY BALES IT MY DAY.WE BALED EVERYTHING. PLUS I HELPED ALL THE NEIGHBORS. DAY IN DAY OUT ALL SUMMER LONG. DRANK LOTS OF LIQUID REFRESHMENTS WHEN DONE FOR THE DAY...:P

I can remember when I was a kid. (Early 80s)

We used to do 10000 small bales of straw. Old Man Merve, Jonny rich and the lad who milked the cows.and little me. It was usually Merve baling with a 584 IH 430 and a bunching sleigh. Or if Merve was combining my father used to drive the baler.

Now several years on the trot the lad who milked the cows. Terry I think,  used to bring a few lads up to help. These were usually unemployed lads on the dole looking for cash.

Well Monday started with say 5. By Tuesday afternoon we would have lost one maybe 2. By the end of the week we be lucky if we had one left. These were all late teen early twenties full of ego and thought they were fit..........

Then along came a neighbour's relations Matt and Lisa. They were from Leeds and University students iirc. (I think Matt was Studying philosophy) And work jeez they slaved away for weeks and had good spirits all the way through.

I think Lisa went out to India and caught some disease and was never the same again but good times.

In later years we got a flat eight grab and sleigh. Could put 250 bales on a trailer as fast as a 430 could bale them with 2 people. We used to load 2 or 3 trailers up in an afternoon and take them off fist thing in morning g when it was cool. But we only did about 2000 small bales as all the rest were round bales.

I like the narrow hay field in between the corn fields.

X2.   Oldest baler I can remember is a 273? I think. Maybe it was Then we went 282/276/315/320/575s/5070s Wish we'd kept the 276 as a spare sometimes. 

I'm 41, dad is 65, and we still do 27-30,000 small squares (with kicker racks) but it's sure getting harder.  I have two great guys that help me stack in away, ages 25 and 60something, I've tried......can't find a third man anywhere. 

image.jpg

3 hours ago, James Wilson said:

I like the narrow hay field in between the corn fields.

It’s a waterway that’s usually dry. 

Wife and I did just shy of a 1000 small squares so far this season. Stack on the wagon then unload into the upstairs of the barn. Takes about an hour and a half to get a wagon load. I should of taken a picture of our 444 pulling the 20' wagon loaded up with hay usually put 200 or so bales on it. 

As a kid we always put up square bales.  When I went away to college dad bought a round baler!    As a teen while dad baled I'd hitch the Allis C to the wagon, and get it to the field.  Carefully let the clutch out in low gear with the motor at idle and pick up as many as I could stopping every so often to stack.  Mom worked a factory job in town but she got home just after 4.  It was great when she got home as I didn't have to constantly run up and steer the tractor! :) 

I don't know how many bales we put up every summer but several, enough to feed 40-50 head of beef cattle through the winter.  

A couple summers ago I was helping my best friend growing up Kieth and his younger brother put straw in the barn loft.  He had two full wagons, and three of us got it unloaded.   Covered in straw chaff we found the garden hose shirtless.  Just as we were finished hosing off a car load of Jehovah's Witnesses came up and asked us "where the man of the house was"  without blinking we both pointed to his mom saying she's over there! LOL   Kieth's dad wasn't around that day, but even if he had been we'd of still sent them to deal with mom! :) 

Customer of mines dad put up loose hay till the kids left in the 70s, then bought into the farmhand breadloafs. Ranch went until 6 years ago with a baler.

So based on the title....can your wife agree to this?😀😀😀

It may be getting harder, but if you work in an office and listen to everyone cry and moan about their little aches and pains that they got from pedaling so hard on the exercise bike at the gym... I mean, c'mon people... The bone's not even sticking out!

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

So based on the title....can your wife agree to this?😀😀😀

Yep!  At my worst I can still be a bad example!

When I was in my early twenties, I worked for a guy who would stack hay all summer and sell semi loads of small bales over the winter. He had it set up so that he would sled in a stack and then jump on the hydra fork and drop bunches of hay in front of a baler where two older gentlemen would pitchfork the hay into a baler which then dumped onto an elevator going up to a flatbed. I was always on the trailer stacking the bales. I think we usually put on 25 ton iirc. I always took a lot of pride on having a square sided pretty looking load, it was good advertisement going down the road. Anyway there was always a bunch of good natured ribbing and passing around the Schnapps bottle. Once they asked me how I was getting along and I said I wish you two old farts would hurry up, I've got a date tonight. They looked at each other, grinned and got into a rhythm. Now, any bale falls off the trailer cost me a six pack and in no time at all they were pushing bales off the other side till I called give. Needless to say I bought all the beer that night and learned to never underestimate the abilities of a man who has done physical work his entire life no matter what his age. I still have my hay hooks hanging in the barn, one short, one long and they bring back fond memories of some good times and really great people.

• Like 1

Just a few years ago when I was in high school all the guys thought they wanted to bale hay. Most didn't last the first day but alot of them hung in there all year. Now, just a couple years ago, I went and helped a neighbor bale after I got off work. When I got there, there was just two boys and a girl on the wagon. When I showed up the two boys wanted a break so they jumped off and I got on and we finished the field. The girl was the same age as the boys, about juniors or so in high school, and she wasn't bad looking. When we got done I told them boys if I was them I would've killed myself on that wagon before I let her out work me. But I guess boys aren't as worried about impressing the ladies as much as we we're when we was in school haha

• Thanks 1

Thought of this post today when I took this picture.  youngest son watching his older brother and his friends in the mow.  Almost like a Norman Rockwell painting.  Waiting to grow up.  Funny, I remember being in his same position 30 years ago. 

IMG_20180713_132854808.jpg

so last Saturday I shoveled 2 loads of silage in the 20 by 70. was pretty warm out but at 61 it felt good first to be able to climb the  70 footer and then shovel the last 2 loads out to the outside. not a bad job but was dirty , then next day leveled off the 18 foot silo so we could start to feed out of it, was more humid but as I look around guys my age cant even get up the silo much less do anything, so it felt really good to be doing that. did not bale any small squares this year yet but when we do we use 20 foot wagons and get about 180 bales on each load, don't mind that but feels good to switch off and drive baled once in a while. I guess I can see why bunkers are popular.

• Thanks 1