New@this18

354 complete rehab.

I am new at the whole tractor restoration business.  I chose a International tractor because of their reputation and I have always had a liking towards them.  

Right now I am working to revive the the engine. Can anyone tell me if I can reuse the cylinder head head bolts?  I can not seam to find and answer in any research I have done.  My local CaseIH dealer just wants to sell me new parts.

65188370-0B3F-47A8-9946-FE87A6E6FEAE.jpeg

9C515343-DEC3-47FD-B329-8E90E2222218.jpeg

86154E10-6B18-4B06-A3EA-B72766ADAE3F.jpeg

EE122F82-B95F-48F6-8532-AC8CE54F2FB2.jpeg

F69C12EE-D646-4AAC-B2D3-6E11BBB3A25B.jpeg

• Like 1

New@this18

Welcome to the forum.    You sure do look a lot younger than 18 in these pictures.:rolleyes:   Also you do very good looking work  for 18.   Nice job. :wub:

To answer your question,  you can reuse these headbolts if they aren't pitted and will clean up.   The type of bolts that should not be reused are called   "Torque to Yield" bolts.  The service manual should state that "Torque to Yield" bolts are not to be reused.

Hope that you enjoy your engine overhaul and tractor.

GT&T

For the piston rings and sleeve set what size pistons did they give you for your gas BC144 engine. Are they 3 3/8 or 3 1/2 inches? I had heard substitution of the 3  3/8 inch pistons with 3 1/2 was occurring. Did you get them on the after market and if so what supplier. Or did CIH supply them?   

Best of luck with your project!  Keep posting pictures and updates so we can all follow along! :):)

George2,

I purchased after market parts.  My CIH place was going to order after market.  I found them considerably cheaper finding them myself.  I ordered all my parts through All State Ag Parts(https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/).  There customer service is great.  Delivery was quick 2-5 days.  The pistons and rings were from Reliance Powers parts.  As far as the piston size they were 3 3/8.  I stuck the new ones on top of the old ones and they were an exact matchup.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, New@this18 said:

George2,

I purchased after market parts.  My CIH place was going to order after market.  I found them considerably cheaper finding them myself.  I ordered all my parts through All State Ag Parts(https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/).  There customer service is great.  Delivery was quick 2-5 days.  The pistons and rings were from Reliance Powers parts.  As far as the piston size they were 3 3/8.  I stuck the new ones on top of the old ones and they were an exact matchup.